Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2017.

next book club reading

Discussion in 'General' started by pianolady, May 9, 2009.

1. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Ok, great. I will put up a new thread about book number 3 shortly.

And Andreas, approximately when do you expect to receive your books? Also, are you taking a laptop computer with you when you go on vacation?

btw - I've read and seen a lot of movies about Mary Stuart's cousin, Queen Elizabeth, but I don't know so much about Mary herself. I like learning about those times, so maybe one day we can find a book that deals with both keyboard music (harpsichord?) and the life of royals or any old body in the fifteen or sixteen hundreds. Or 1700 or 1800 for that matter. I love all that historical stuff.

2. musicusblau

musicusblau Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

High-school-teacher with subjects music and german
    Last Name:
    Pfaul
    First Name:
    Andreas
    That´s the problem. The German book I will have within 3 or 4 days, the English version has a delivery time of 2 - 4 weeks, like our novel "Fingers" had had for me. So, I fear we can´t read it commonly in the time of my vacations. I have no laptop-computer, but I´ll write you a pm concerning this matter.

Yes, would be interesting to find such a novel. Friedrich der Große was a great flute-player, but I don´t know any king or monarch of the 15th-18th century, who was also a good piano- respective harpsichord-player. Do you know one?

3. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    No, I don't. But it might make a nice little research project so I will look into sometime.

And I have something personal to say too so I'm going over to the pm's now.

4. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Ok, it's three hours later and I had some time to look into our next next book. All I'm doing today is baking cakes and smoking my butt for my son's birthday party tomorrow. I have a lot of waiting around time right now.

I did not find much in the way of 15th or 16th century historical novels involving keyboard music. There are some novels about Mozart, 1. Marrying Mozart - I read that one a long time ago, but would not mind reading it again. 2. Mozart's Sister - about Nanerl.

I'll keep looking....

5. musicusblau

Last Name:
    Pfaul
    First Name:
    Andreas
    Hi Monica,
    first, could you send me a piece of the birthday-cake? :p :wink: (Hoo, "to smoke my butt", I don´t dare to translate that into good German. :shock: :lol: )

Yes, I think, nearly every biography of composers of the 15th to 18th century would be possible to read, too, and I think, this would be very interesting, but I thought, you would like to combine the story of a person of nobility and something piano respective music related. That´s not so easy, I think. Mozart f.ex. was not a person of nobility.

6. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    :lol: :lol: It's not my butt I am smoking. It's a pig's. :lol: :lol:

I should have worded that differently. I was talking about a pork roast. I put a large pork butt (roast) in the smoker and cook it for about 10 hours. The meat becomes so tender that you can pull it apart with a fork. We call it "pulled pork". I am making barbecued pulled-pork sandwiches for the party tomorrow. I know you won't eat it, so I will send you just the cake (chocolate). :wink:

And yes - I would be interested in reading biographies of composers. But I also really like historical novels. Well, we can just wait until after our current book read before we have to pick out another one.

7. musicusblau

Last Name:
    Pfaul
    First Name:
    Andreas
    Oh, sorry, first I thought you wanted to say something vulgar like "I´m working my butt off". :oops: But surely you wouldn´t say things like that, right?! :)
    "To smoke" I knew only in expressions like "to smoke a cigarette" or something like that. So, this was really a missunderstanding because of my imperfect English.

I agree. First let us read "Piano", then we could have a look for a nice historical novel or a composer-biography.