Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2017.

New member - Reflets Dans L'eau, Debussy

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by Prasa U., Nov 11, 2007.

1. Prasa U.

Prasa U. New Member

I believe that I am doing this correctly, I've tried to read any necessary guidelines. Apologies if this is not the case. This is my first post and "audition" for this site. It is Debussy's "Reflets dans L'eau" from the Images.

Debussy - Reflets dans l'eau (Reflections on the Water)

2. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    That is a very good first recording ! You certainly know your way with Debussy and do a great job on this quite difficult piece. Some small accidents in the first climax, but nothing to be worried about.
    Two remarks. You seem to leave out the first LH bass octave in bar 16 - or at least I could not hear it. And, you leave out the rest in the final 'Lent' section. Apart from that, nothing but praise. The piano sounds good but there is a strange metallic ring around the treble notes - I wonder if your mike may be too close to the strings.

3. John Robson

John Robson New Member Piano Society Artist

Retired
    Last Name:
    Robson
    First Name:
    John
    Reflets Dans L'eau, Debussy

My guess is you passed this "audition" with flying colors. Welcome to Piano Society.

You played this quite difficult Debussy work with confidence and clarity. Excellent job IMOP!

4. Prasa U.

Prasa U. New Member

Thank you for the compliments and criticism. Again, I'm not too certain about this process so if there's anything that I should wait for or do, tell me.

You're right that the first octave bass note in that measure is not audible. I think I did play that note, but sometimes when I try to play softly I accidentally barely make any sound at all. Thank you for noticing and correcting.

5. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    The next step is to provide your biography and photo (you can post them right here) and then we will put you up the site with this recording. Unless, you want to re-record it. But there is no need for that.

I struggle with the same problem, as some others here do too. Raising the general volume of your playing (as advised by professionals) is the only solution as only then you have the possibility to make your pianissimo contrasting as well as audible.

6. nathanscoleman

nathanscoleman New Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Coleman
    First Name:
    Nathan
    Well, I didn't find a danish :cry: but that didn't affect my enjoyment of this piece at all! Very nicely done! and great first post.

Welcome! Come on in ... the water's nice and warm. :lol:

7. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Beautiful! and Welcome! What a nice piece and nice playing.

Nathan - what danish? Is this another piece with danish in the title like the cowbells?

p.s. If anyone knows anything about Quicktime, can you please pm me? I resinstalled itunes just now so I could purchase a few pieces, but now when I listen to files from here, they open on Quicktunes and I don't get to see how many minutes long they are.

8. nathanscoleman

Last Name:
    Coleman
    First Name:
    Nathan
    See my previous posts ... I had a whole schtick going this morn.

*sigh* this is the second time in as many days that Monica and I have been on a different humor page. Either she's having a blond moment, :p :lol: or I seriously need to install that humor upgrade :D

9. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    You better watch it. I'm the only one who can use the 'blond' thing. :wink:

And I was laughing when I wrote the last post. I thought it funny that a piece could be about a danish. :lol: (see?)

10. nathanscoleman

Last Name:
    Coleman
    First Name:
    Nathan
    oh ... sorry! LOL *covering my roots* I do NOT die my hair (what little there is left, anyway *sigh*) I'm having my own blond moments it seems! :oops:

A quote comes to mind: "extract the rafter from your own eye, then the straw from your brother's" :lol:

11. juufa72

juufa72 New Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Grocholski
    First Name:
    Julius
    This is a good recording. It sounds Debussy-ish. To tell you the truth I never cared much for Debussy, Ravel, etc. I don't know why. Maybe it's too "modern", too "impressionistic"?

12. Prasa U.

Prasa U. New Member

Different people have different tastes, I suppose. I myself have never liked modern or atonal music, but I do enjoy Debussy and Ravel very much. But even while talking about Debussy his music has a lot of different styles. If one does not enjoy the abstract "Reflets dans L'eau" perhaps you would enjoy something like "Danseuse de Delphes" or "Dr Gradus ad Parnassum"? "Jardin sous la pluie", perhaps?

I will post the bio and photo soon.

13. robert

robert Active Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Stahlbrand
    First Name:
    Robert
    Welcome to Piano Society. Very nice playing. Clear and beautifully interpreted. As already mentioned, it is a very difficult piece to to play. The fast runs needs to be even, soft and fast which requires a very good technique which you seem to have. Just feed us with your biography and we put you up as an artist on the site!

14. Prasa U.

Prasa U. New Member

Hello, I am very, very sorry for being absent and not following through on my submission.

If you can forgive me, I would be happy to now (finally) provide a photo and bio to you (going to post soon). And more submissions, if they are accepted.

15. robert

robert Active Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Stahlbrand
    First Name:
    Robert
    Of course we forgive you ;). You can provide your biography to me (or Monica, Chris though he is having a vacation at the moment) or post it right here and we'll put you up.

16. Prasa U.

Prasa U. New Member

Here's the biography and picture:

bio:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v236/ ... biopic.jpg

17. nathanscoleman

Last Name:
    Coleman
    First Name:
    Nathan
    What?? this was totally not run by me first!! :?

18. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Hi piano lady,

So sorry to hear you are using dieTunes.... but to make quicktime open mp3's instead (I assume this is what you want), navigate to such any mp3 on your PC and right-click (again assuming Win XP or similar), choose 'Open With->Choose Program', select quicktime and tick the box 'Always use this program to open this type of file'

OR

Reinstall quicktime again, but the first method is probably quicker.

19. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Prasa U - I will gladly put up your bio and picture, but I don't see your full name anywhere. Also, I will edit your bio because it should be in third person.

drgooo - I have since then figured things out. But thanks anyway. :)

20. bclever

bclever New Member

Hello all, is it intentional or accidental that much of this piece sounds like Gaspard De La Nuit?