DONATION STATUS
Needed before 2017-12-31
$ 1,000
So far donated
$ 1,045
Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2016.
A big thank you to Project Petrucci who has helped us already meet our 2017 goal!

New CD of operatic paraphrases - by me!

Discussion in 'General' started by andrew, Sep 7, 2016.

1. andrew

andrew Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist

Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Wright
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Youtube:
    alkanliszt
    A while back I fulfilled a long-held ambition by recording and releasing a commercial CD devoted to transcriptions and paraphrases from opera (see here http://www.pianosociety.com/threads/cd-release-on-commercial-label.5796/ )

I am happy (delighted, really!) to announce that a sequel is imminent. I had a two-day recording session earlier in the year, and editing is now in the very final stages.

Track listing and details:

1. Bellini/A. Jaell Reminiscences de Norma: An almost totally unknown paraphrase from a Liszt disciple. It has similarities to the epic Liszt paraphrase, but is a little shorter and incorporates Casta diva, which Liszt omitted.

2. Bellini (arranged by me) Col sorriso d'innocenza: Aria from Il Pirata: somewhat of a precursor of Casta diva, and I have arranged it in a manner similar to Thalberg's arrangement of Casta diva.

3. Donizetti/Leschetizky Andante finale de Lucia di Lammermoor: Leschetizky's ingenious reworking of the sextet for left hand only. Some resemblances to the Liszt paraphrase here.

4. Rossini/Thalberg Fantasie sur Moise in Egitto: one of the great behemoths of the operatic paraphrase tradition. Thalberg played this at his 1837 duel with Liszt, and the finale demonstrates Thalberg's legendary "three-hand effect" in some style.

5. Wagner/Liszt Lohengrin's Admonition: a shimmering but declamatory arrangement contrasts with the previous track.

6. Verdi/me Concert Fantasy on Miserere from Il Trovatore: a paraphrase in the Liszt/Thalberg tradition with lots of octaves, arpeggios and double notes!

7. Meyerbeer/Kullak Cavatine de Robert le Diable: a very rare arrangement of this famous aria. The only other arrangement I know of is also a rarity, the Liszt setting recorded by Leslie Howard.

8. Massenet/Saint-Saens La mort de Thais: high melodrama from the denouement of the opera, featuring a reworking of what we normally hear as the Meditation.

9. Wagner/Liszt Fantasy on themes from Rienzi: ending with a flamboyant paraphrase which features the famous prayer.

Running time: c. 67 mins.

A few sample extracts:

Thais Meditation arr. Saint-Saens:
    Coda of Thalberg's Moses Fantasy:
    Casta diva arr. Alfred Jaell:

2. andrew

Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Wright
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Youtube:
    alkanliszt
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2016
  3. andrew

Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Wright
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Youtube:
    alkanliszt
    I now have actual physical CDs of this! The disk is now scheduled for September release.
    https://divineartrecords.com/forthcoming/

Some samples:

https://soundcloud.com/andrew-wright-35/sample-extracts

Album details are itemised on the soundcloud page, as are the sample timings, but I'll reiterate the timings here for convenience.

0.01, 0.34 from Bellini-Jaell Reminiscences de Norma
    0.47 from Donizetti-Leschetizky Andante finale de Lucia di Lammermoor (for left hand only)
    1.04, 1.21 from Rossini-Thalberg Moses Fantasy
    1.38 from Meyerbeer-Kullak Cavatine de Robert le Diable
    2.01 from Verdi's Miserere paraphrased by me!
    2.17, 2.32 from Massenet-Saint-Saens La mort de Thaïs
    2.48, 3.01 from Wagner-Liszt's Fantasy on Themes from Rienzi