DONATION STATUS
Needed before 2016-12-31
$ 2,500
So far donated
$ 860

My very first posting - Chopin - Waltz No.20 in F minor

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by Anonymous, Jun 8, 2007.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Hello,

Here is my very first posting on Piano Society. It's Chopin - Waltz No.20 in F minor (1838). My insperation for learning this song was Robert's recording. I hope I have done this piece justice. If I am accepted, I will post more recodings. Please feel free to provide feedback as I am always open to suggestions.

Thanks,

Bita

2. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    I did not know this waltz, despite there being two recordings of it on this site already :oops:
    So I can not offer much detailed feedback. But it sounds very well done to me, nothing to niggle about. A good debut !

3. dubya

dubya Member Piano Society Artist

Pianist
    Last Name:
    Welch
    First Name:
    Luke
    Youtube:
    https://www.youtube.com/user/TheDubya69
    To be honest I wasn't really familiar with this waltz myself, but I must congratulate you on a job very well done. You've done a very good job of progressing the phrase - especially towards the end (just before the coda) you can let the LH sing out even more since you have it well shaped.
    Bravo,

4. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Yeah, and one of them is mine. But....it's terrible. I'm going to have to re-do it someday. At the time, I thought the tempo was fine; now I think it is way too slow. Plus, it's riddled with those darn inaudible notes.

Bitakia - In my very, very, humble (and many times wrong) opinion, I think your tempo here is just a tad fast. Especially at the end where it seemed you were almost rushing it. But overall, you play this nice and musically. I can hear your dynamics and your phrasing is good. There are a couple places that you play differently and it could just be a difference in scores. The first one is at measure 7 - the first LH note, I show a low C-sharp. Another one is at measure 37 - my LH plays A#-G#-A#-C double#-A#-G#. The last thing is at the very last note in LH. I think it should be a low, low F#. It sounds like you played a C# which doesn't really make sense to me. I wonder if my speakers are doing something wierd...Anyway, I hope I haven't offended you. Your version is a lot better than mine.

5. Terez

Terez New Member

Student
    Great job, Bita. The tempo seems just right to me.

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Thank you everyone for your kind words and very constructive advise. I really appreciate it. Hope to one day improve on my Chopin. Unfortunatelly I've only been playing for the past year and half after I stoped playing at the age of 9.
    Chopin is very technically demanding and I have a long way to go.

Thanks again all!

Bita

7. robert

robert New Member Piano Society Artist

Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Stahlbrand
    First Name:
    Robert
    Very good and also, I agree that the tempo is right. Perhaps a bit accelerated in the end (exactly as my recording and it is very easy to do so here) but please, it should really end in an F-sharp and not a C-sharp (as Monica rightfully points out). Otherwise, very good and if you can correct this mistake and provide a biography, I will put it up.

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Thank you, Robert. You and Monica are absolutely correct about the F-sharp. I will redo this piece and resubmit along with my biography.

I do have a question though, regarding my biography, do I email it to you or post it on the forum? I Also, I would like to submit other pieces, should I follow the same process and post them on the forum and wait for an acceptance reply?

9. robert

robert New Member Piano Society Artist

Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Stahlbrand
    First Name:
    Robert
    You can either post your biography here or send it to info@pianosociety.com (or to me or Chris). Regarding new submissions, we always use the acceptance procedure for each new recording so you post them here in separate topics (unless they form a set).