Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2017.

My senior recital

Discussion in 'General' started by Terez, Jul 10, 2011.

1. Terez

Terez New Member

Student
    Thanks so much for listening Hye-Jin! One day... :wink:

2. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
  3. Terez

Terez New Member

Student
    I'll do it if you play 10/12 like Cameron Carpenter. :wink:

4. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Tell you what. We'll challenge Carpenter into playing 25/11 on the pedals only :p

5. Terez

Terez New Member

Student
    No doubt he's already working on it.

6. alf

alf Active Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Bertazzi
    First Name:
    Alfonso
    If I remember well I didn't reply because I didn't know what to add to my previous mail. Now I listened to the 25/11 (the "decent" version) and I still have nothing to add. The muddy and distant recording doesn't help to discriminate the small details that would deserve a comment. On a larger scale, I still hear a lot of unevenness, "struggle", a very weak LH and definitely too much pedal (on the other hand nobody would expect that you resolve that bitch in a year or so).

7. Terez

Terez New Member

Student
    Except for me! :lol: But yeah, I'm still working on it, though I took a break to start working on some other etudes. I'm encouraged by how much I have gained from working on 25/11, so I figured I stand to gain even more from working on others. 25/11 is back to half-tempo, or practicing at around 80, to get rid of the unevenness and struggle. (BTW, never fear to criticize - the best thing about being your own worst critic is that you can take it - if I thought any of these recordings were good, they'd be in the audition room).

I'm glad you're still alive. I miss you!

8. alf

alf Active Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Bertazzi
    First Name:
    Alfonso
    Working on different Chopin's etudes can help you to improve your technique on a general level, but each etude covers separate technical problems and you have only a moderate synergy by even studying them all. The sensible thing to do is - especially if you don't like studies and exercises - to find useful snippets from the piano literature to address your weak points. This requires a wide knowledge of the literature of course, or a teacher who has it in your place. I don't think that an average student can go very far hammering away at the same stuff for years, even if they are the Chopin's Etudes.

I don't have fear to criticize, if asked so, but why should I do it twice? :wink:

9. Terez

Terez New Member

Student
    Eh, I'm having a moment with the Chopin etudes right now, but I have Bach moments as well. My weak points generally revolve around the fact that I have no technical grounding to speak of. And yes, I don't like playing boring technical exercises, but I haven't been convinced that I am missing anything yet. (Really, it's more to do with the fact that I know I don't have the capability to make myself practice them; it would make me want to quit piano.) I'm also not convinced that a wide knowledge of the literature is really necessary unless one plans on playing a wide range of literature. For now I feel like there is enough variety in Chopin and Bach to keep me going for the rest of my life, but I would be interested in hearing your arguments to the contrary. As for teachers...I played for as many master classes as I could during my years at school, and asked for advice from every skilled pianist I knew. Sometimes I don't know how to apply these things, which is frustrating, but I keep trucking on.

It's a good question. Depends on your regard for the person in question. :wink: