Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2017.

My first video

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by techneut, Nov 9, 2008.

1. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    My first attempt at video recording, using my daughter's Nikon Coolpix, my Edirol, and Windows Moviemaker. Bit of a hassle setting up this tiny camera without a tripod, and the result is pretty crap. Not to mention the playing... But may it satisfy those of you who have been curious to see me in action.

Saint-Saëns - Valse Mignonne, Op.104 (Video)

2. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Ooh la la! très bel homme! You look just as I pictured. :)

Nice video - And pretty good quality for a camera phone! I bet it took you all day to do this, right? :lol:

3. juufa72

juufa72 New Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Grocholski
    First Name:
    Julius
    You mean tall and Dutchish? :lol: :wink:

4. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    About an hour, I think. Stupid thing kept switching off halfway because I had not properly pushed the start button and it was not actually recording whan I thought it was. It's not a phone though, but a proper camera, one of these small thingies the size of a pack of cigarettes.

5. MindenBlues

MindenBlues New Member Piano Society Artist

Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Schmidt
    First Name:
    Olaf
    Nice video, thank you for sharing!

You are looking VERY concentrated, something what apparently needs to be done if beeing such a sight reading crack like you are. Also, your eyes move very often and fast between the look at the keys and the score. I suppose it is because of the larger jumps of the piece and normally your look is almost always on the score?
    I wonder whether your look turns sometimes a bit in a dreaming mode if you play something you know almost blindly? Or is that wasted time for you, because the next complete circle is waiting? :wink:

6. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Hi Olaf,

Long time no hear !
    Yes I am surprised to see how often I do look at my hands whereas I thought I did not do that so much. Then this is a bit of a flashy piece (though not terribly hard) so I guess I have to see where I'm going. Be interesting to see myself playing some familiar and finger-bound Bach. I also see a rather stiff-looking right wrist that I'll need to work on. Teachers have complained about it but there's nothing like seeing for yourself.

Dreamy looks are not for me though :wink:

7. musicusblau

musicusblau Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

High-school-teacher with subjects music and german
    Last Name:
    Pfaul
    First Name:
    Andreas
    Hi Chris,
    very nice your first video and very interesting for me to see you playing.
    You look relaxed and concentrated at the same time.
    I do not know this piece, but it sounds properly played (besides some few chords, which are not ideally together, I suppose). Very nice and entertaining piece, this valse!
    The sound-quality is really astonishing for such a small camera you described. If you would like to avoid page-turns, you would have to learn, how to make cuts. :wink:
    You really have a good technique and score-reading-ability, but your wrists could be laxer, I suppose, they really look a bit stiff, like you described above. I suppose, you could play still more expressive as it is yet with laxer wrists.

It´s very nice to see you lively here, my friend. :wink: I would like to encourage you to make more videos with this nice camera (and to learn, how to make cuts). If you do a cut, you have always to change the perspective (angle) of the camera.

8. Rachfan

Rachfan Active Member Piano Society Artist

Chief Operating Officer, retired
    Last Name:
    April
    First Name:
    David
    Hi Chris,

You're exactly as I had pictured. it was good to see the Garveau grand too--it looks like a beautiful piano. I'm not familiar with this Saint-Sean's piece, but you played it very well. And no Lang Lang mannerisms or Uchida grimaces. :lol: Nice job!

Did you have to go through a process afterward to synchronize the camera video with the Edirol sound?

David

9. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Yes it is a lovely piece, as are most of Saint-Saens' piano works. Many people sniff at his music but I think it is great even if it is not always very profound.
    I was struck my how rigid my right wrist looks. It is something to work on, if only for the sake of presentation. Doesn't look at all relaxed....
    The sound track comes from the Edirol, with the usual reverb.

I am not sure if I will make more videos. It's no fun with such a tiny photo camera. Maybe I should try to buy a second-hand cheap camcorder.

I followed the tip given by someone here (I think it was Tobias). In Windows Movie Maker, align the separate audio track with the video's own audio track (both are shown graphically), then mute the original audio track. Takes a bit of practice and it was not as exact as I wanted, but ok. Strangely, when I uploaded it to Youtube, there was a definite de-sync'ing. Must have to do with how they process the videos.

10. musicusblau

musicusblau Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

High-school-teacher with subjects music and german
    Last Name:
    Pfaul
    First Name:
    Andreas
    Techneut wrote:
    I know this problem, I compared your version here with the one on youtube. I think, too, that it has to do with their processing of the videos somehow.

11. StuKautsch

StuKautsch Member Piano Society Artist

Software Developer
    Last Name:
    Kautsch
    First Name:
    Stewart
    congratulations

Actually, until I read the comments for this post it had not occurred to me that there could be an educational value to all of this - it must be very interesting to watch yourself play.

I'm glad you explained the synchronization process, because I was very curious about that. The sync was good and I was "looking" for problems there. Too bad about the YouTube.

I thought your hand position looked very good. Besides, if there was anything wrong with it, you would have noticed it years ago.

12. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Re: congratulations

Interesting ! It's horrible ! I hate it ! But it has to be done indeed.

It sure does't feel as if there is anything wrong with it but I believe it does not look good. Looks as if there is lots of tension, which there really isn't. It also seems to be bad for tone production when the wrists are kept too high. At least that's what teachers have told me.

13. PJF

PJF New Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Fournet
    First Name:
    Pierre
    You don't look tense at all, Chris. In fact, your hand position is perfect, IMO! You don't have tense wrists, you've got strong wrists.

The wrists should be stable, as yours are.

Very well played, too! :D

Pete

14. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Thanks for that Pete, this was a bit of an impromptu recording, not much in the way of preparation.
    I am always told by teachers to play with supple wrists and keep them a bit low. Where here we see them being up in the air most of the time. It seems to work for me and indeed I have no problem with tension. Just doesn't look very elegant.

15. PJF

PJF New Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Fournet
    First Name:
    Pierre
    It sounds elegant!

16. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name: