Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2017.

My first upload: Alkan Allegro Barbaro

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by Anonymous, Feb 14, 2012.

1. richard66

richard66 Richard Willmer Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Amateur musician
    Home Page:
    You should write:

"In priciple only acoustic pianos are acceptable for submission. Recordings on digital pianos will only be accepted under special conditions and at the discretion of the board. MIDI files are only accepted on the forum for illustrative purposes and no other."

2. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Thanks Richard, I'll take that into account too.

3. troglodyte

troglodyte Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Professor
    Last Name:
    Parrow
    First Name:
    Joachim
    I guessed this would pop up again.

The OP was honest in that as soon as he realized this is not the right place he asked to be removed. This suggests the problem is information. Sure we can post rules but there will always be a grey area, and many newbees will post without reading all the rules and without lurking to find out what goes.

I suggest that we enforce the principle that whenever someone posts a recording it is mandatory to provide detailed information about how it was done, and with what editing. This goes for all of us. If it is a single take just say so. If someone posts a recording without this an admin can summarily lock the thread, asking the poster to re-post with this info. Based on this information the admins can decide if the recording is acceptable. This procedure also highlights that in this forum we really care about this.

Granted, this will not protect against deliberately dishonest posts but I think those are much rarer than honest mistakes. I think this would have stalled the OP in this case, and even the infamous Guy. He is well known in his area, so had he really wanted to be dishonest he wouldn't have used is real name. He had the very misguided idea to try us out as an experiment, not understanding that this is not a done thing here.

There still remains the issue of actually defining admissible production and editing procedures. I suggest we err on the liberal side. After all, if all information is immediately available, those not interested can simply stop reading the post. In particular I would be sad to see a ban on DPs. Granted, they do not sound as good as a good grand, but they can be better than many physical out of tune pianos. I respect those who have an aversion to DPs, but perhaps their misery is mitigated if they know this is the case from the start so they don't have to listen.

I don't believe in partitioning people in "trusted" and "suspect" categories, with different rules. This will make this forum a kind of closed club and may reduce good submissions. We want (I hope) to welcome all new people to submit.

Joachim