Thank you to all those who donated in 2015!

DONATION STATUS
Needed before 2016-12-31
$ 2,500
So far donated
$ 595

My first upload: Alkan Allegro Barbaro

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by Anonymous, Feb 14, 2012.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I have just become a member yesterday and I'm looking forward to hearing your opinion. I play piano just for the fun of it. I had a lot of piano lessens when I was young but stopped playing around my early twenties. I started again at the age of 40 and I'm enjoying it a lot now. Please let me know what you think.

Michael

2. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    I have great trouble believing this is a real recording. It sounds very much like MIDI. Only a pianist of the caliber of a Hamelin or Gibbons could rattle this off so smoothly, and then it would sound far more varied and musical. I certainly can't believe someone who plays 'just for fun' after a 20-year hiatus is playing like this.

I'm sorry to be suspicious but we've had too many dubious submissions lately. You'll have to present a video to prove you are up there with the very best.

3. musical-md

musical-md New Member

Physician
    I concur with Chris. (BTW this is Op 35, No.5, in F major) :?

4. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Just listened to Jack Gibbons' rendition, just to make sure this was not his. It isn't, Gibbons is much faster yet :shock: But it sounds human.

5. andrew

andrew Member Piano Society Artist

Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Wright
    First Name:
    Andrew
    http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/andrewwright
    TWITTER:
    arpeggio_andrew
    YOUTUBE:
    alkanliszt
    Incidentally has this recording been made using a digital piano?

6. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    I'd say quite obviously it is. Or else a MIDI keyboard.

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

This recording has been produced the following way:

Piano: Kawaii CA91 digital piano
    Recording software: Cubase 6 with Yamaha C7 VST virtual piano
    Aftereffects: WaveLab 7

There is no video available at this time.

8. Rachfan

Rachfan Active Member Piano Society Artist

Chief Operating Officer, retired
    Last Name:
    April
    First Name:
    David
    Hi michaelrose,

Your recording (as I stated at the other website) is being questioned there and here at Piano Society too. I'll repeat that this sounds to me like the mechanical playing of systhesized midi, and not at all like truly artistic piano playing. Where you cannot substantiate this recording with a video, as requested at both websites, my vote here would be to reject it.

David

9. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Oh boy, here we go again.... :roll:

10. 88man

88man Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Vosgerichian
    First Name:
    George
    Perhaps it was only a matter of time as this must be a new trend in (piano) society, along with GPA inflation, over-embellishing resumes, corporate bonuses, expediency, etc. The slogan "learning should be fun" rings louder than the knowledge and virtues gained from persistence, hardship, and sacrifice. Yeup, who wants to practice 2+ hrs a day when we have musical word processors capable of cut, paste, note check, delete, and speed up to Warp 2 with a few simple mouse clicks. Now that's fun. Hence a new chapter of "Bionic Music."

Instead of busting my chops on the piano, hey, I think I'll go over to the MIDI keyboard and see if I can finally record La Campanella?!.... The acoustic piano is the only vehicle capable of projecting the labor of love within the music. I'd rather hear wrong notes in the spirit of being stirred and inspired by the music. MIDI and to some degree digital pianos quantize the music into bits to the point of sounding unnatural where it no longer retains the emotive force intrinsic to an acoustic performance. As much as I love technology, electronic music, gear, the real mojo lies within the wood, strings, felt, frame, air... Not in the chips and wires.

11. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Well said George. I'm thinking of changing the site banner to say 'The home of acoustic piano recordings' or something in this vein. Any suggestions/ideas welcome. We must and can do a bit more to ward off the growing stream of questionable recordings. I feel we have the right to reject anything we do not trust without having to endlessly argue with all these people. They'll just have to either convince us of go away.

12. hyenal

hyenal New Member Piano Society Artist

Ph.D student
    Last Name:
    Lee
    First Name:
    Hye-Jin
    This sounds really unhuman. If you play this yourself, then you'd better learn how to let a piece artistically speak. This interpretation is really boring.

I fully understand your good intention, Chris, but are the members like me expelled, who don't have another choice than to practice and record on a digital piano through that words like 'The home of acoustic piano recordings'??

13. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Absolutely not. You are one of several fine players who use a digital for traditional playing and recording. Of course we need to think about such a phrase and discuss it. Traditional would be more appropriate than acoustic, I guess. Though I have to say it's very tempting to demand acoustic instruments only..... It would make our life here much easier.

14. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Sounds good to me!

15. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Maybe it should be the rule for new members. Existing members who have proved their worth would get dispensation for it.

16. Rachfan

Rachfan Active Member Piano Society Artist

Chief Operating Officer, retired
    Last Name:
    April
    First Name:
    David
    Hi Hye-Jin

In general, as a member I would support an acoustic piano rule, but I'm also mindful that you and a few others here have produced marvelous recordings using digital pianos. If a change were to be made, there might be a way to "grand-father" those already existing members who usually submit digital piano recordings. That way you and those other members would not be "expelled" and we could continue to enjoy your fine music. So I would think that the phase-in of a rule, should it come to pass, would apply to new people submitting to Piano Society. I think that would be fair in protecting the current members.

These hoaxsters that have appeared here lately annoy me and even anger me--and others too. As serious pianists we all "labor in the fields" doing conscientious practicing and making recordings to the best of our abilities. So when someone enters this website having created a midi recording with mere clicks on the computer, it's really an affront to those here who are so diligent in their art. So from that perspective, probably something needs to be done.

David

17. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Yes, that is a good idea. Let's go with that from now on.

18. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    We must also write up something in the fine documentation, maybe even in the terms of service when they sign up. I'll need to chew on that a bit.
    Again, any input and suggestions from our members will be most welcome.

19. jlr43

jlr43 Member Piano Society Artist

Technical Editor
    Last Name:
    Renouf
    First Name:
    Joe
    Personally, I don't see what the problem with digital instruments would be. I have a nice acoustic instrument to record on, but that's because it's at my parent's house (I myself practice and make video recordings on a digital in my apartment). But many pianists don't have the option to record on an acoustic, let alone a nice one, and in my limited opinion digitals can in fact sound much better than a whiny old upright or B-grade unrefurbished grand.

In any event, I think it should be abundantly obvious when a recording is being digitally manipulated. I haven't listened to this particular one and don't want to, because the result is always painfully apparent, no matter how much these computer geeks think they're fooling us. The Guybacos Chopin Etudes, for example, were risibly mechanical and tinkly-sounding, without a shred of real legato, natural phrasing, pedalling effect, or dynamic subtlety (maybe this michaelrose is yet another member of the Bacos fan club :p ).

In the end, it's all about the pianist, whether playing a digital, the finest Steinway concert D, or a box-o'-wood spinet. Digitals don't go out of tune, of course, but every other aspect of an honest performance will come across as human on these instruments as on everything else, the rhythmic glitches and overpedallings on the bad side as well as the rubato, dynamic range, and array of touches that only an infinitely fallible but nuanced being like man can create.

Anyway, I'm sure you can trust your instincts to reject something as actually digitally manipulated, and I do agree 100% that MIDI and such similar recordings have no real aesthetic value -- nor value of any type that I can perceive besides flattering the ego of the wannabe or sometime pianist turned techie -- and should not be accepted.

Just my two cents FWIW.

Joe

20. musical-md

musical-md New Member

Physician
    Wait for me!

Uh, ... all the good stuff has already been said. :(

Maybe change the name to Pianist Society, so that any hint of engineered performance is rejected out-of-hand without a video to substantiate. Any recordings submitted on digital pianos will naturally give us a higher index of suspicion, unless the performer is already known to us. Just my 2 cents.