Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2017.

My First Submissions

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by In-Flight Piano, Sep 19, 2009.

1. In-Flight Piano

In-Flight Piano New Member

Home Page:
    Greetings to the members of Piano Society,

I am Samuel Chetty, and I live in the United States. If I am accepted to the site, I will submit my biography, and you will know more about me then.

Music conveys ideas. I approach classical music with modern interpretations. For each of my submissions to this website, I will provide a concise description of the ideas which I feel the music inspires. My first submissions are four pieces composed by J.S. Bach.

Menuet I-French Suite #3.
    The contrast between the first section and the second section is important. In the first section, I am picturing the members of a committee sitting around a table trying to resolve a delima. They are not making much progress. However, the second section is the eureka moment, in which a logical solution is proposed. The repeat of the second section states that the solution actually works!

Menuet 1- French Suite #2
    I am picturing myself sitting at my desk doing my homework at night. I am slighly bored, but at the same time taking pleasure in my progress and looking forward to getting my work done.

Gavotte- French Suite #5
    Here, I am picturing a group of people casually telling modest but funny jokes and laughing.

Sinfonia #11
    This, in my opinion, is a song about innocence but also dissapointment. This song tends to make me think of a person who has been falsely accused but keeps an attitude of forgiveness.

I hope you enjoy my recordings,
    Samuel Chetty

Bach - BWV 814 - French Suite No.3 in B minor - 5: Menuet ( 01:39 )
    Bach - BWV 813 - French Suite No.2 in C minor - 5: Menuet ( 01:40 )
    Bach - BWV 816 - French Suite No.5 in G Major - 4: Gavotte ( 01:17 )
    Bach - BWV 797 - Sinfonia No. 11 in G minor ( 02:21 )

2. musicusblau

musicusblau Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

High-school-teacher with subjects music and german
    Last Name:
    Pfaul
    First Name:
    Andreas
    To Menuett, French Suite 3: very nice concerning the basics (right notes and right rhythm), except there is missing the d bar 4 in the bass during the first time, but may be that´s just my silly score. For my taste as a Menuett this could have more flow and more of a dancing expression, but that´s just a suggestion of interpretation, of course.

To the other Menuett: I didn´t follow along with score, but sounds very nice to me.

Also the Courante and the Sinfonia 11 are very nice IMO. I like especially the Sinfonia, which is full of a calmness and peace in your interpretation, I like also the rubato on the last highpoint on the e-flat 9 bars before end, I personally would do more of such things, but that´s me and not you. :wink:

I enjoyed your nice recordings. Thank you for sharing!

3. In-Flight Piano

Home Page:
    Hi Musicusblau,

Thank you for your comments. I have been a listener at Piano Society for a long time, and your WTC is awsome!

4. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Au contraire, Samuel. I'd like to know something more about a prospective member before he or she is accepted as a member. :wink: :)

5. In-Flight Piano

Home Page:
    Hi Monica,

Sure. Here is more information about myself. I orignially planned to include this in intial post, but I did not want to overload my first post in the Audition Room with too much information.
    I am a 12th grade high school student, and I am considering a future career involving air traffic controlling. I have been playing the piano for 8 years. In 2009, I was promoted from both the district and state level piano competitions in the state where I live. I have been invited to perform in my state's piano teachers' convention next month. I also frequently perform recitals in retirement communities.

My netname "In-Flight Piano" reflects my interest in aviation as well as music. I am a PC flight simulation enthusiast, and I am a member of the Virtual Air Traffic Simulation Network (www.vatsim.net). Notice the dot in my signature; if the dot is green, if means that I am flying a virtual flight online.

I am also an online Scrabble player (www.iso.ro). My current rating is in the mid-700s (the pros are close to 2000). I am also writing a novel titled 11:59. It is a social commentary about the different perceptions of teenagers. The novel should be completed late-2009.

6. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Overall this is good Bach playing. You know what you want with these pieces, and how to get it. One general observation is that your LH is not an equal partner for the RH. Either that or you are trying too hard to keep it soft, quite some notes are inaudible or even left out (most notably in the minuets). This is something you could work on. Some more minor nitpickings (note that I refer to the Henle Urtext score, you may have something else. French Suite editions can be quite different it seems).

- In the C-minor menuet you play the last bars of each section differently than written. Not that it could not have been written like that - I'm just wondering. The way you termintate the long trill is not very elegant.

- In the Gavotte you play different notes at the start. Is it written like that in your score ? What I did not like here is your sudden tempo changes, combined with dynamic contrasts. Makes it sound a bit abrupt in places.

- Sinfonia - I believe this could be a bit livelier. It is commendable that you slot in some extra ornamentation, conform to good Baroque practice, but don't let them interrupt the flow of the music.
    They sometimes sound a bit laboured here.

7. musicusblau

Last Name:
    Pfaul
    First Name:
    Andreas
    Thank you for your appreciation of my WTCI. I have to admit, yesterday in the evening I was too tired too take out my own Henle-edition of my shelf. I have listened to your recordings with a score from the internet. But I also found, that some passages contained other notes than you have played in your recordings. So, Chris could be right. I know, that there are some different versions of the French Suites and for me it´s not so important which one one chooses. :)

8. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Yes they are pretty hefty volumes, and after a evening of fitness I can imagine you did not have the strength for it anymore :lol: :p

9. musicusblau

Last Name:
    Pfaul
    First Name:
    Andreas
    Techneut wrote:
    :lol: ROFL. Well, I was sitting in front of my computer at 23 o´clock or so, and didn´t like to move any more, so what did I do: I went to imslp.org to support my laziness! :oops: :lol:
    (Sorry, dear Flight-In-Piano, I´m a bad boy, really. :oops: :wink: )

10. s_winitsky

s_winitsky Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

programmer
    Last Name:
    Winitsky
    First Name:
    Stan
    This is nice In-Flight Piano. I also like playing the sinfonias and french siutes:) I think I liked your sinfonia the most.

Perhaps the only thing I would say is that in the gavotte there sounded a bit like an unexpected synchopated rythm between the repeats. Almost like this was done with a not so optimal edit or cut? Or maybe this is just me? Also I agree with Andreas that the Menuet I-French Suite #3 could have been a bit livelier but this might be just my preference.

This was a nice introduction though I thought. Do you plan on doing more of the french suites or sinfonias?

11. In-Flight Piano

Home Page:
    I am using the Shirmer edition of the French Suites. On the c minor, menuet, I am playing the notes as they are written. However, in the Gavotte, I did play the second note in the LH wrongly. I probably need to practice this piece with the metronome a few more times.
    Thank you Chris for advising me to make sure that my left hand notes are clear and audible.

As for the b minor menuet, I think it might sound livelier if I played it at a faster tempo.

Stan,
    Thank you for your compliments and suggestions.

I recorded these pieces at my teacher's house since I don't have any recording equipment. If I need to re-record these pieces in order to be accepted to the site, let me know so that I can schedule another recording session with my teacher.

Thank you,
    Samuel Chetty

12. Terez

Terez New Member

Student
    I watched a video with Angela Hewitt speaking on how to play Bach on the piano, and she said the Schirmer Bach editions 'should be banned'. :lol: I think she said this mostly because of all the editorial markings in the edition - articulation and dynamics, etc. You would probably be better off with the public domain Bach-Gesellschaft editions available at IMSLP for free (or through Dover at a very reasonable price).

Nice playing, Samuel, and welcome to PS.

13. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    These are all up the site Samuel. Please double-check if all is ok. You may also want to post a picture for on your page.

14. mbloedel

mbloedel New Member

Sinfonia #11

I enjoyed listening to your version of Sinfonia #11. Good job! Thanks for posting it. I've just started working on this one and currently working at getting the trill at the beginning to sound the way it should. At first I thought it should be played slow, but I found that a lot harder than playing it fast with 64th notes instead of 32nds and I think it sounds just as good either way. You played it very nicely.

I was wonder if the mordants and trills you added were your own idea. I'm sure you realize that the first one you added sounded like it was held too long since it noticably threw off the rhythm. The one you added near the end was a bit better. I think they can sound nice where you put them with a little more work. Maybe you can submit another recording to replace this one when you perfect them?

15. In-Flight Piano

Home Page:
    I added the mordent in measure 44 after hearing Angela Hewitt play it in her recording of the Inventions and Sinfonias. The ornaments in measures 15, 65, and 71 were added by the editor in the Alfred Edition. The amount of tempo rubato that I used was similar to the recording that corresponds to the Alfred Edition. However, I agree with you that I slowed the tempo too much. The problem I have was that when I try to play the ornaments faster, those passages sound somewhat abrupt. I have considered leaving out those ornaments altogether. However, the editor emphasizes how those ornaments are important to the Baroque style, so leaving them out makes me feel a little bit guilty :(.