DONATION STATUS
Needed before 2016-12-31
$ 2,500
So far donated
$ 860

Mussorgsky - Late pieces

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by techneut, Jan 15, 2012.

1. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
  2. robert

robert New Member Piano Society Artist

Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Stahlbrand
    First Name:
    Robert
    New to my ears but charming pieces. Easy to listen to and understand. Is it a cycle or just an extract of different late life music by Mussorgsky?

You play them perfect and I did not hear any flaws at all. How do you do that? The music doesn't sound difficult but still...I have a feeling that you didn't spend much time preparing these did you? Even though you are a very good score reader, it takes a tremendous amount of concentration to not make any slips, misinterpretations, errors in dynamics and get musical value out of it. I will never stop being impressed by your skills!

3. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Thanks Robert. AFAIK these don't belong to a cycle, I don't think they are related in any way.

I had not looked at these for decades and two of them I've only played for the first time last week or so. Indeed they are not very demanding and I did not want to spend all too much time on them, so each of these has a number of editing cuts as usual. I guess that is the secret behind producing a lot of recordings :)

4. robert

robert New Member Piano Society Artist

Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Stahlbrand
    First Name:
    Robert
    Have to learn to do that properly ;). I am working on something new now, not up on the site already and a re-recording on something that is. I hope I can get it down to recordings next weekend or something.

5. pianoman342

pianoman342 Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Tucker
    First Name:
    Riley
    Hi Chris,

I had a listen to your recordings by Mussorgsky. They sound nice. I haven’t heard these. I agree, they have a quaint and charming quality to them.

“on the southern shore of crimea” through your phrasing I think you have managed to make them sound stately. Dynamics were not bad either.

About number two it starts out uptempo but after about a minute it sounds like “on the southern” all over again. Though it is called “close to the southern.” I guess it is close to that piece... too close! Maybe this was a pun that Mussorgsky intended.

About the “Meditation” I think you managed to sound brooding. Like a meditation, so I think you have achieved the effect of a meditation in the piece with th repeating middle section that ends in the major key and twice repeating beginning theme.

About the une larme, which I do not know what it means in English. Sounds melancholy and down tempo. The piece seems to follow the same format as the “meditation” and I would argue it is similar in more than just the form. Though it was still fun to listen to.

About the “au village” (I assume means “a village”) This piece was really fun to listen to :p . It seems to start out like a chorale following voice leading rules, then morphs into something different.. I think this is the first piece of this set to feature sixteenth notes if I am imagining the score correctly.

I agree these pieces are not as good as “pictures” but I did enjoy listening to them. For criticism, I would say try playing these pieces with even more range in dynamics.

edit: grammar revision

Riley

6. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Thanks for your feedback Riley ! I agree that the two 'Crimea' pieces are a bit too similar, and one of them (the second, IMO) would have been enough.
    Une Larme means A Tear, this is probably Mussorgky's most popular piece after the Pictures. By all means sample Monica's excellent recording of it.

7. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Oh no, don't do that!! This one is on my 're-do' list. :(
    Chris, yours is very nice. Perhaps you hold out the opening chords a little too long for my taste, but that's of course very subjective.

8. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    I thought yours was very nice too. Can't really imagine why you'd want to redo it.

9. Rachfan

Rachfan Active Member Piano Society Artist

Chief Operating Officer, retired
    Last Name:
    April
    First Name:
    David
    Hi Chris,

Other than "Pictures", this is the only other Mussorgsky piano music I can ever recall hearing. These character pieces are very pleasant and you drew a good selection offering some contrasts, except for the two Crimea pieces. It's good to hear unusual music like this group, and you played these pieces convincingly.

David

10. musicusblau

musicusblau Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist

High-school-teacher with subjects music and german
    Last Name:
    Pfaul
    First Name:
    Andreas
    Hi Chris,
    I knew some of these pieces, but haven´t played them myself yet. Bravo to your performance, which seems quite perfect to me. For me especially the two first pieces have a special russian character, haven´t they? You demonstrate a clear and understandable interpretation. I have enjoyed it.

11. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Thanks David and Andreas ! These are not great pieces by any stretch, but nice enough and worth the occasional airing, as they say :)

12. 88man

88man Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Vosgerichian
    First Name:
    George
    Nicely played Chris, but the Mussorgsky doesn't break any new ground here. His Pictures show much more development and originality, however Au Village was the most interesting, and you played it well. When it comes to piano music, for me at least, Mussorgsky is a "one hit wonder."

13. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Absolutely. Though not all music needs to break new grounds, does it ? A simple song can be nice once in a while ;-)

14. 88man

88man Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Vosgerichian
    First Name:
    George
    Indeed. You see, I keep forgetting that you are the luminary Ambassador to the DGLKM -- Discovery Group of Lesser Known Music. :lol:

15. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Ah yes, that's me alright. Leave the masterworks to those with talent and good taste :D