DONATION STATUS
Needed before 2016-12-31
$ 2,500
So far donated
$ 805

Music from Beyond -- Schumann

Discussion in 'General' started by RSPIll, Mar 17, 2010.

1. RSPIll

RSPIll New Member

Church Musician, Choral Accompanist, Musical Theat
    I ran across this while searching through some shared sheet music sites. This one is "Twelve Cameos from Robert Schumann as dictated to Rosemary Brown." It seems that Schumann has stopped de-composing and started composing again.

Besides the music, there is a Foreward by Franz Liszt written in Nov. 1980 and a "Note from Sir Donald F. Tovey" saying "It is to be noted the Liszt has aqcuired a good command of the English language since his transition to the World of Spirit. All souls may continue to augment their knowledge if they so wish, and expand their consciousness if they make the necessary effort."

Apparently Bach, Beethoven, Brahms, Schubert, Liszt, Grieg, Debussy, and Rachmaninoff are still actively composing (or at least they were in 1980.)

My question is, can a composer copyright his works that are written after he is dead, particularly since the copyright in the U.S. is the life of the composer plus 75 (or is it 100 now) years?

I can't wait to try these out.

Scott

2. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    wow - that is so weird - seems like all the great composers are chummy with Rosemary Brown. I don't really understand this, and Scott - did you mean to include a link in your thread here? The one below is to a site where you can supposedly hear Chopin speak to Rosemary Brown. Strangest thing ever!!

http://www.xs4all.nl/~wichm/chopin.html

Also, I'm not sure if you a joking about all this, but I don't think a 'dead' composer can copyright anything! :lol:

3. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    :lol: Great pun ! If rather irreverent. I would have thought he'd be done decomposing by now.

That Rosemary Brown thing is so old though... Must be at least 20 years ago or more since all this was creating waves. Is she still at it then ?

4. RSPIll

RSPIll New Member

Church Musician, Choral Accompanist, Musical Theat
    I had no link. I found the sheet music somewhere in the spiritual outreaches of the internet.
    The publication date on the book was 1980. I don't remember if I remember hearing about this at the time.

According to the web-site that Monica posted, she is apparently dead since it refers to her as the "late Rosemary Brown" (unless she was just one of those people who never arrived anywhere on time). I wonder if anyone is able to channel her channeling the great composers.

It's too bad that someone can't channel these composers playing the piano. That would be wonderful. We would finally know how they meant for their music to be played.

Scott