Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2017.

Murad Kazhlayev, Six Preludes, No. 1 in C

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by Rachfan, Mar 20, 2016.

1. Rachfan

Rachfan Active Member Piano Society Artist

Chief Operating Officer, retired
    Last Name:
    April
    First Name:
    David
    Murad Kazhlayev, a composer and conductor, was born in Baku, Russia in 1931. He graduated from the Baku State Conservatory. There he studied composition with Boris Zeidman. Kazhlayev was a teacher at the Tchaikovsky Music School in Makhachkala. He was the chief conductor of the Dagestan Radio Symphonic Orchestra and later the Artistic Director of the Dagestan Philharmonic Hall Orchestra. And for 10 years he was in charge of the Variety Symphonic Orchestra named after Y. V. Silantyev. Most recently he established the Dagestan Musical School for Gifted Children. He also founded a museum dedicated to the musical culture of Dagestan affiliated with the school. Kazhlayev has been recognized and awarded several times including the prestigious People’s Artist of the USSR and the Order for the Merit for Dagestan Republic.

I hope you'll enjoy hearing this piece.

Comments welcome.

Piano: Baldwin Model L Artist Grand (6’3”) with lid fully raised.
    Recorder: Roland R-44
    Mics: Matched pair of Earthworks TC-20 small diaphragm, omni-directional condenser mics in A-B configuration

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 20, 2016
  2. Rachfan

Last Name:
    April
    First Name:
    David
    Hi R Jordan,

I need an assist here to establish a link between my Artist page and the Submissions and/or Various page. The problem is that this file above is by a composer (Murad Kazhlayev) for the first time. I also checked the Various section, but he was not there either. The Submissions page is OK. I believe that the links in Various are created by the Admins. If so can you please let me know when the link is established? Once it's there I'd be glad to test it from my side.

Thanks!

David (Rachfan)

Last edited: Mar 27, 2016
  3. echoyjeff222

echoyjeff222 Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Lee
    First Name:
    Jeffrey
    Do you have a copy of the sheet music? I want to listen and follow along!

4. Rachfan

Last Name:
    April
    First Name:
    David
    Hi echoyjeff,

On your request, there are two methods if you want to follow performance of Prelude No. 1 on the score. 1) I could send the score to your private email. Or 2) there is already one on YouTube a full performance displaying the score sheets on YouTube. I am not sure if it's a true piano or a MIDI product. If I were to guess I would say it's MIDI. But tonight (4/3/16) in fairness I should not yet condemn this effort as MIDI which usually sounds mechanical with a very dry melodic touch.

Here is the URL address for the score display:

Let me know.

David

Last edited: Apr 4, 2016
  5. musicusblau

musicusblau Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

High-school-teacher with subjects music and german
    Last Name:
    Pfaul
    First Name:
    Andreas
    Hi David,
    that´s an excellent recording with nice expression and also voicing at some places. There only was one place you made a small hesitation as if you didn´t know exactly the next chord (I have no bar numbers, so that I can´t tell you exact the bar number), but that´s minor, because all is so expressively and musically played. I didn´t find the score, too, first, neither on imslp nor on Mikes archive. So I used the score on the youtube-link you have posted above.
    I think, we should put your recording up to the various section. I will do that tomorrow. If you plan to record more preludes by this composer I will create a section on the composers page. But I think, at least we would need two or three of them to do that.

6. Rachfan

Last Name:
    April
    First Name:
    David
    Hi Andreas,

Yes, on that one hesitation, I think I should have shot a left glance down the keyboard for that long leap. I agree that "Various" would be appropriate for now. I've started practicing a second of his preludes. I think I might yet meet the three pieces to merit his name in the Composers' list. Getting back to Prelude No. 1: I had no trouble doing the upload, thanks to your educational module. But here is a different problem still unresolved -- establishing the link between the Composer and the Submission. Usually it's easy, but in this instance Kazhlayev does not already exist on the Composers' list. I have Richard Jordan's write-up to follow, but that composer was already present in the composers' list. So it didn't stop me. This one is a brick wall.

Is Richard Jordan still assisting here?

Also the upload was routine. But there is an "eyeglasses" icon attached to my posting the Kazhlayev prelude. I don't know what it means. Am I supposed to do something with the icon?

I'm confident that once we work the kinks out of the new software, we'll be OK.

Thanks for your help, Andreas. David

7. musicusblau

Last Name:
    Pfaul
    First Name:
    Andreas
    Hi David,
    I have uploaded your recording. Check the links first on the various-page, second on your personal artist-page, please.
    You wrote:
    I´m sorry, David, but I don´t get that. May be it´s because I´m not always at hundred percent sure concerning the English language. What link between the Composer and the submission do you mean? As you have remarked correctly Kazhlayev isn´t still in the composers section, so you can´t create a link to him.
    Seems there is a missunderstanding. Could you explain your problem once more for me, please?

Yes, Richard Jordan is our main admin here, because he possesses this site and he knows all about the software. My job as an admin here is mainly to comment on new recordings and put them up to the composers page and create the link to the artist section, so that the files can be downloaded from the main page from all people, also non members. But I also have helped to transfer all the datas and links from the old page to the new one, which was quite a lot of work "behind the scenes". ;)
    And I also don´t know, what you mean with the eyeglass-icon, sorry. I haven´t seen such an icon on your submission. But I will contact Richard, probably he understands your problems better than me.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2016
  8. jordanr

jordanr Administrator Staff Member

Last Name:
    JORDAN
    Hi David: I am here! Where do you see the eyeglass icon?

We should create a new composer tab then for Kazhlayev and add these. Let me know if you have time to do Andreas or I can do this weekend.

Richard

9. Rachfan

Last Name:
    April
    First Name:
    David
    Hi Richard,

As I mentioned, so far I've submitted the first Kazhlayev piece. At the present time I'm working on a second Kazhlayev piece. It'll take awhile to polish it up to standard. For the third piece, I have a third Kazhlayev piece picked out, but have not done any work on it yet other than to examine the score. My thought on this is to wait until I've produced all three pieces before we proceed any further. I believe that's a fair way to do it. But your idea is very generous too. I leave the decision up to you.

OK for the next:. Please go to Forums, Submission Room, Kazhlayev. Now look to the immediate right side of the page. Just before the Replies column, there is a pair of eyeglasses there.

Are we OK on the links now?

Thanks for your patience!

David

David

10. Rachfan

Last Name:
    April
    First Name:
    David
    Hi Andreas,

I know you and Richard have done a lot of work on these links. Thanks for helping everyone out.

David

Hi Richard and Andreas,

I would feel more confident if you could kindly do the links for Kazhlayev if you don't mind. It's technical and I am not as adept with it, and we want to avoid errors if possible.

Something for long term: Will Administration be doing this task, or will it be the responsibility of the individual artists? Will it be centralized or decentralized?

Thanks for all your help. :)

David

11. musicusblau

Last Name:
    Pfaul
    First Name:
    Andreas
    Hi David,
    I think, we both agree to create a Kazhlayev-page in the composer section, when you will have recorded two more of the preludes. With only one piece, this makes no sense. As soon as you will have recorded the two other preludes, I will add Kazhlayev as a new composer to the composer section, and of course, we will need a biography, when it comes to that.

I´m really sorry David, I have tried to find that strange "eyeglass icon", but I couldn´t discover it. I think, just forget it, it has no meaning for you. If the links work o.k. (you should check that, please, and give me a feedback here), all is right.

I think, administration will stay doing this task, we would appreciate, if members could update their own profile page, when a new recording is added to the main page, but not all members are able to do this. Don´t worry, I will do all the "technical work" for you. You just have to record, to post and to check the links, when your recording is put up. So nothing has changed here for you. ;)

Have much pleasure with recording the next two preludes! I´m looking forward very much to them! :)

12. jordanr

jordanr Administrator Staff Member

Last Name:
    JORDAN
    Administration will update the composer pages. This is centralized. We appreciate members updating their own profile pages.

13. Francois de Larrard

Francois de Larrard Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Researcher
    Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Larrard
    First Name:
    Francois de
    Hello David,
    Thank you for the discovery of this composer. The prelude is nice, musically rendered, and I am looking forward to hearing the rest of the series. As for this hesitation, I think it can be solved by a simple cut of the recording (if you accept the principle of editing recordings...).

14. andrew

andrew Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist

Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Wright
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Youtube:
    alkanliszt
    This is a fine, sensitive recording. A fair few interesting harmonic twists and turns in the piece. I agree with Francois that a judicious edit (loosely speaking, cut between two places, an appropriate duration apart, where both waveforms cross the x-axis) would remove the hesitation, but I suspect that may be something against your firmly-stated principles.

15. musicusblau

Last Name:
    Pfaul
    First Name:
    Andreas
    Hi David, Francois and Andrew,
    yes, a simple cut could be a solution. I have done such small editings in Davids recordings times in the past, with his allowness, of course. So, if you want me to do it, I will do it for you, David. It's just an offer, of course. (At least I could try it, I can not garantuee, that it will be a success.)

Last edited: Apr 2, 2016
  16. Rachfan

Last Name:
    April
    First Name:
    David
    Hi Andreas, Francois and Andrew,

Yes, I admit to that hesitation, a half-second or so in the Kazhlayev Prelude No. 1. For the most part I've taken a contrary position on electronic editing. That way it is 100% authentic. At professional recording studios, the recording engineers often take large liberties. And I'm merely a human being. It is true that Andreas has been very kind in fixing a few flubs in the past. This particular error is very brief, but I guess still too noticeable. Similarly Andreas used a bit of ingenuity making my recording of the Rachmaninoff Prelude Op. 32 in C highly popular on the internet! I'm very grateful for that, Andreas!

Clearly my mode is to do full out takes; however, Andreas, if you wish to erase that one gap, I'm OK with it.

Thank you for you help on that.

David

Last edited: Apr 2, 2016
  17. Rachfan

Last Name:
    April
    First Name:
    David

18. Rachfan

Last Name:
    April
    First Name:
    David
    Hi Andreas,

I might have solved the eyeglasses icon. Over at Piano World the eyeglasses mean the person who created the post is "watching" the thread. When the icon disappears, it means "unwatched", which I believe to be the more common status by far. It shouldn't appear here at all, yet it did, but I was the only one who saw it.

David

19. Rachfan

Last Name:
    April
    First Name:
    David
    Hi Andreas,

Regarding links: I went to Submission Forum and played the Kazhlayev prelude; at Artist, I played from the Artist's list of recordings; for Composer, played the same piece from Various; Members, also played from Various; but could not play the recording from Rachfan Profile, Personal Details. This last one might require some further attention. The index of pieces is there, but it cannot be played.

You're probably aware that the IMSLP has notified us by email that they cannot play recordings from Piano Society. Their guess is that the archive has been moved to a different server without alerting them of the change.

If you want me to verify any other links, just let me know and I'll test it as well.

David

20. neural

neural New Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

hospital doctor
    Last Name:
    Knibb
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    David: thank you for a beautiful rendition of a most evocative piece (I wonder if Kazhlayev wrote film music?). You give the listener time to follow the rapid harmonic movement, but also mark the points of rest very skilfully. There is the slip that others have referred to - and perhaps another just before, at 1:44, where there seems to be an extra or missed beat? - but that happens in live performances and the musicality of the performance doesn't falter.

I hope we can look forward to hearing more of your recordings of his music!