DONATION STATUS
Needed before 2016-12-31
$ 2,500
So far donated
$ 755

Mozart - Sonata

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by djrubens78, Apr 28, 2010.

1. djrubens78

djrubens78 New Member

2. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Ruben, I accidentally deleted my earlier post here. Basically all I said was that I think you played this sonata very well. I know first hand that studio recordings can have a bit of editing here and there. Is there any on these recordings?

3. djrubens78

djrubens78 New Member

Hey! I fortunately got to read your previous post. Thanks for the compliments. The note you were asking about...... I do play c flat as shown in the urtext edition, which is based on the autograph score as well as the first edition. There are others which print c-natural, but theyre based on less trustworthy sources, and in my opinion c flat works better harmonically.

There is actually quite a lot of editing, but its not a matter of wrong notes or anything like that. I get quite intense in the studio, and I try to polish everything as much as I can. There were many valuable takes but since you can only choose one for each note, you have to get very picky if you want something sophisticated.
    In any case I´ll try to record the concerts I have this next month so you can listen something live.

Also if you look for Ruben Yessayan on youtube you´ll find a few recent live recordings.

Thankyou for listening!

4. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    I'm glad you saw what I wrote. As to that C-natural or C-flat, I just don't think it could be a C-flat. To me, it sounds very strange - and yes, it's mostly because I've been playing a C-natural all the time. But I just listened to Baremboim, Schnabel, and Eschenbach, and they all play it C-natural like me. My score is a urtext edition too.

5. s_winitsky

s_winitsky Member

programmer
    I thought this was an extraordinary recording. Very nice phrasing and agogics.

I always thought the slow part of this piece was hard to play convincingly. You made it seem so easy and natural I thought.

6. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    I was going to put these on the site but realized we have not added you to the roster yet. Have you already posted a biography and photo Ruben ? I know you wrote a line or two in the Khachaturian thread but we prefer some mor einformation.

7. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Wonderful playing indeed ! I can't think of anything to improve.
    These are up on the site. I've use the couple of lines you wrote, but please provide a proper bio and photo (you can post them right here).

8. djrubens78

djrubens78 New Member

Thankyou! Yes Mozart´s slow movements are of extreme difficulty. Everything has to be in place or it will not work. MOst important is to have a very clear idea in your head of the outcome you want, so the fingers are just the messenger.
    Thankyou for listening.

9. djrubens78

djrubens78 New Member

Hey thankyou for the support. Sorry I didn´t get back to you earlier but I had a concert yesterday which was driving me a little crazy! I have to redo my bio in english, so i´ll publish it on this thread as soon as I have it.
    I´m very glad you enjoyed it.

10. wiser_guy

wiser_guy New Member

System Software Engineer
    I enjoyed your Mozart sonata very much. You seem to have worked on every little detail which is something I really admire.
    It isn't easy to play Mozart. One does not have a single corner to hide. Every little flaw would be extremely visible. You have done an excellent job in style, staying away from too much pedal. This sonata should sound happy and uplifting and at the same time the player should exhibit control over each phrase. Lovely performance.

11. 88man

88man Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Vosgerichian
    First Name:
    George
    Hi Ruben, this a commanding performance of this sonata! You render excellent musical control and plenty of rhythmic flair to make for a captivating performance.