DONATION STATUS
Needed before 2016-12-31
$ 2,500
So far donated
$ 825

Mozart: Fantasy K397 ornaments

Discussion in 'Technique' started by juufa72, Apr 24, 2009.

1. juufa72

juufa72 New Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Grocholski
    First Name:
    Julius
    Hi all!

Alright, I can say that this Fantasy is much less complicated than Thalberg's Funeral March. However, besides those pesky "presto" runs, there is one question that I have.

http://imslp.info/files/imglnks/usimg/b ... _K_397.pdf

(Sheet music above)

The two ornaments above the "allegretto" section on page 3 give me trouble because I don't understand which key to start with and how many keys to play (more so the second ornament)

Does the first ornament go like this:

E-F-G-F-E, then the next note is played?

And do I sharp the F or the G for the second ornament?

Thank you very much!!

-Hoolio

2. Teddy

Teddy New Member

Take my reply with a grain a salt as I play very little Mozart :)

The first I would have played (bE) - [F - bE - natD] - *bE* - (F) with rhythm being something of [triplet of sixteenth] and *eighth note*. It seems strange to me you would go up the G on a turn... I would do the same with the second, (G) - [A - G - sharpF] - *G* - (A). The triplet seems weird, but I think it's what gives it the "ornament" flavor, but hey... I also don't see any other rhythm that could do.

Also, please be careful with the dynamics, I remember hearing it once or twice with huge F, I find it atrocious ; I know it's F, but after a P you don't really have to bang your keyboard like a madman :( Especially the A-B intervals, I've seen it smashed with such strenght I felt bad for the piano (you could hear that "too much" sound, ugly tone the piano takes when it is banged). Just rambling, but I had flashbacks from hell when I remembered this piece :roll:

Nice piece otherwise, I like how it's not too joyful and bright (Mozart go minor keys ! and the alberti bass is only present in the end yay !) :)

3. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    I've always liked this piece!

I have a Urtext Edition which shows these turns all written out so I scanned the page for you. Here you go.

4. Teddy

Teddy New Member

I thought you were supposed to slow down near the end of the turn, yet the Urtext has it all even :( Maybe the slow is for more modern, "romantic" turns ?

Thanks for posting the Urtext Pianolady, that proves there's still a point buying more expensive editions !

5. juufa72

juufa72 New Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Grocholski
    First Name:
    Julius
    Thank you everyone for your help! I'll go play it now to see if it sounds correct. (That is: if I can play it correctly). :evil: