Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2017.

Mozart Fantasy in d minor

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by jtattoo, Jan 12, 2010.

1. jtattoo

jtattoo New Member

College nursing instructor
    Let me try again. This is James Pinkerton playing the d minor Fantasy of Mozart

2. nathanscoleman

nathanscoleman New Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Coleman
    First Name:
    Nathan
    Hullo and welcome James!! *waving hi from Shreveport*

Nice, clean first submission! Tell us about your recording setup too, there're several of us who wanna know all about that. My overall impression was just that it sounded a bit dry, I like my Mozart more "wet", with a bit more pedal. But that's just a personal preference and can also have a lot to do with reverb as well. I found the tempi appropriate.

The admins will tell you that you'll have to submit 2 more recordings before being accepted as a featured pianist ... I look forward to hearing those too!

Welcome!

3. jtattoo

jtattoo New Member

Thanx Nathan!

Glad you enjoyed the Mozart. My teacher and I went around and around about the pedal and it's use in Mozart. Doing the same thing now with the Schubert c minor Sonata. As for the recording, I just started a couple of months ago and still doing some experimentation. I bought a Zoom H4 which I like very much. Using the internal microphones now but haven't ruled out buying some more expensive ones. I put the recorder on a tripod about 20 inches from the curve of the piano with the lid up. I record in wav. but going to play around with recording in mp3. I transfered the file to Audacity and normalized it and did a little equalization. But as I said, still experimenting. I have a 2 year Yahama GC1 and a very, very life room. Since I have just returned to the piano two years ago after a 40 year hiatus, it's slow going!!! Glad to be part of the this forum. Already have learned a lot. Best wishes Jim

4. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Hi Jim,
    I'm glad you got this attachment thing figured out. I've just listened to your recording and think it's nice. I am also not sure about how much pedal one can use in Mozart, but I think your use of it here is good (like Nathan said - it's a personal preference I guess, although I never got around to discussing it with my teacher when I was taking lessons, so I'm not sure).

Sounds like you are relatively new this recording stuff so undoubtedly you will make a great many experiments regarding setup and also post-editing. One little thing in this recording - I heard a couple obvious cuts. But overall the recording is fine. And again like Nathan said, we do require three recordings for evaluation before becoming a Piano Society member. Also, we prefer the recordings to be current.

5. nathanscoleman

nathanscoleman New Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Coleman
    First Name:
    Nathan
    Re: Thanx Nathan!

Wow ... a 40 year hiatus!!! And here I thought my 8-9 year time away was extreme. Glad to have you here and look forward to the Schubert!

6. RSPIll

RSPIll New Member

Church Musician, Choral Accompanist, Musical Theat
    Hi James,

You live in one of my three favorite places in TX -- the others are San Antonio and The hill country around Wimberly and San Marcos. (I lived in Rio Grande Valley for 22 years).

I quite enjoyed your performance. The Mozart was very sensitively played. I don't think that you used too much pedal nor that the Allegretto was too fast.

Scott

7. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Hi James and welcome.

A good debut ! Considering that you did not play for so long, and are only back in business for 2 years, this is quite an achievement. As others said, solid and tasteful playing. It could stand a little more pedal but doesn't need it either. Tempi are right, the allegretto fast but not too much so IMO. At the start you seemed a but eager to push the tempo, maybe to create some sense of urgency ?
    The first general pause seems way too long to me, one sits there wondering what happened and whether you'll be back at all.

Yes a little more care with the cuts please, at least one of them is quite obnoxious. Your runs and passagework sound a bit laboured at times. You must be very critical of inaudible and weak notes, of which I heard a number. Be merciless and treat them as mistakes.

8. jtattoo

jtattoo New Member

Thank you one and all!

Thank you for all the advice and nice comments. This really was a task for me last month. I had forgotten how very difficult it is to play the piano............well! The recording techniques will take some time I imagine, which is good, because hopefully I will progress with the actual playing. Chris, you are so right about the inaudible/weak notes. I have a tendency to be too timid. And let those notes just slip away. Monica, I loved your YouTube site and the Gershwin especially! I look forward to posting another piece, just need to pick one carefully. I would love to do the first movement of the Schubert c minor Sonata, but fear it's a little beyond the 100% needed to record. With my limited time to practice, I find I can get most of the works up to about 85% finished, but that last 15% of perfection is so difficult and time consuming. Anyway, very happy to be part of this wonderful forum and have already learned a great deal from the posters. Jim

9. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Re: Thank you one and all!

We totally understand this. But in my case, perfecting a piece is the fun part. It's the drudgery in starting a new piece that is sometimes cumbersome - all the working out the notes and rhythm, coordinating both hands and all that. I love when I finally have the workings down and can start to live in the music, so to speak - meaning, I don't have to worry about where my fingers are supposed to go, but rather how to play the notes, what kind of sound do I want to generate (or would like to). And a lot of that depends on mood - mine and the music's. Try looking at your last 15% as the best part of learning pieces. :)