DONATION STATUS
Needed before 2016-12-31
$ 2,500
So far donated
$ 805

Moszkowsky

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by John Robson, Aug 1, 2008.

1. John Robson

John Robson New Member Piano Society Artist

Retired
    Last Name:
    Robson
    First Name:
    John
    Moszkowski: 12 Etudes, Op. 92 for the left hand
    No. 1 in C Major
    No. 11 in Db Major

Too bad I can't play No. 1 faster to make it more energetic, but it's bad enough at this tempo.

No. 11 is good for practicing broken chords with the left hand, trying to play legato passages without the pedal, and playing in the highest register with the left hand. These skills are obviously not completely perfected by me yet. Need I say more? I tried.... The broken chords are reminiscent of Chopin's Etude No. 11 in Eb. Also does anyone else hear the "unintentional(?)" reference to Pictures at an Exhibition in this etude? At least we now have a little more of these relatively seldom heard pieces on the PS site.

Moszkowski - Etude in C Major Op. 92, No. 1

Moszkowski - Etude in D-flat Major Op. 92, No. 11

2. juufa72

juufa72 New Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Grocholski
    First Name:
    Julius
    I listened to 11, while I can't hear the reference to Mussorgsky's P.E, I can hear beautiful music. Thanks for sharing. Five completed, another seven to go.

3. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Hi John, these are up. Number one is not bad at all! And neither is Number 11, however, it is a lot softer than number 1. The volume, that is. I had to turn my speakers all the way up. Also, there is around 17 seconds of silence at the end of the file. Maybe you might want to increase the volume and chop off the dead air at the end and then send it to me again? You don't have to if you don't want to.

4. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    The no.11 did not remind me either of a Chopin Etude or or the Moussorgsky PE. Where exactly do you hear that reference to the latter, John ?

These are extremely well played though. Some tiny frays in the no.11 but this is a great achievement ! One would never guess these was played by one hand. I hope you can persevere with this and complete the cycle. That would be quite unique, I think - not many pianists who can do this. Make the most of your impediment while it lasts :wink:

5. John Robson

Retired
    Last Name:
    Robson
    First Name:
    John
    LH

Thanks for listening. Monica, I don't know what happened to the volume. If I had realized how soft it is, I would have done something about it. I've tried to increase the volume using the Amplify effect in Audacity. This is as loud as I can make it without clipping in the loudest parts. I also cut the ending to about 3 seconds. Is this better?

Juufa, the reference to Pictures at an Exhibition is only the first three chords from the "Promenade." It's not very obvious. It occurs in the middle forte part at about the 3 minute mark. I don't know how many more of these Etudes I"ll attempt. I know one of them requires a larger hand than I have. Another has a lot of fast repeated notes which are very difficult for me. We'll see. Perhaps I'll trudge through more. :?

6. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Ok, yes - that is a lot better. I've replaced it.

7. John Robson

Retired
    Last Name:
    Robson
    First Name:
    John
    LH

Thanks, Chris, for listening and providing feedback. I was expecting you to really blast the No. 11, and perhaps both of them because they contain so many flaws. I hope to re-record the No. 11 at a later date. I know I can play it better.

Chris said:
    The no.11 did not remind me either of a Chopin Etude or the Moussorgsky PE. Where exactly do you hear that reference to the latter, John ?

Chris, I agree that No. 11 doesn't sound like the Chopin Etude. The large broken chords gave me the same feeling as practicing the broken chords in Chopin's Etude No. 11. They are BIG stretches for my not-so-large hands. I slightly injured my hands many years ago trying to learn No. 11. The ME reference is just the first three chords (different key, of course) of the Promenade at about the three minute mark. That's all. I probably shouldn't have mentioned it. Thanks again.

8. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Re: LH

I must admit I did not hear many, and certainly none that seemed serious. But then, I do not know these pieces. The sound good to me !

In response to what you say about the difficulties of some of the remaining etudes : why not let the RH help just a little bit, for instance if some stretch is too big for the LH ? It's common practice in normal repertoire so I can't see why it should not be allowed here (only of course if there's no alternative).

9. John Robson

Retired
    Last Name:
    Robson
    First Name:
    John
    LH

Chris, thanks for the suggestion. However, with my oversensitive conscience, I would consider helping with the right hand cheating unless I explained that I did. So far I've never been tempted.

:oops: Chris and Juufa, sorry. I just realized the part of PE that I was thinking of was "The Great Gate of Kiev." The pianists plays descending octaves with the RH, and the LH chimes in with the melody I'm thinking of.

10. juufa72

juufa72 New Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Grocholski
    First Name:
    Julius
    Re: LH

I'm still not hearing it. I was never good at picking out subtleties (or spelling that word correctly).

11. musicusblau

musicusblau Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist

High-school-teacher with subjects music and german
    Last Name:
    Pfaul
    First Name:
    Andreas
    Hi John,
    both etudes sound very beautiful too me. I have not the score of these pieces, so I´m not able to give you a comment on details or to judge seriously your performance. But I have to say I enjoyed it very much. All sounds very clearly and musically, so it´s a great pleasure to listen to you.
    Congratulations for this great achievement and continue so!

12. hyenal

hyenal New Member Piano Society Artist

Ph.D student
    Last Name:
    Lee
    First Name:
    Hye-Jin
    A nice job again!
    I can hear a very beautiful music of a very devoted musician here :)