Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2017.

More Youtube woes....

Discussion in 'General' started by pianolady, Nov 28, 2011.

1. andrew

andrew Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist

Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Wright
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Youtube:
    alkanliszt
    I had a quick look at the official Youtube video clip explaining the new version. Well, to be accurate, I had a quick look at some of the comments on the video and saw the alternative homepage link posted there.

2. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    The statistics (analytics) are better now. At least for me they are.
    Guess I am just not going to have 'friends' anymore.... :(

3. musical-md

musical-md Active Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Physician, Chief Medical Officer
    Last Name:
    Del Rio
    First Name:
    Eddy
    What are we? Chopped liver? :wink:

4. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Ohhhhhhh, I mean that my Youtube friends are gone. Not on my 'old' Youtube, but on my 'new' Youtube. Except I have no friends activities at all on my homepage on either version. But actually, a lot of my Youtube friends are not really friends at all - I don't even know them. :oops: So you're right, Eddy, you 'regulars' here on PS are my 'better' friends. :)

5. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Hey Andrew, guess what? It appears I've conquered the copyright issue! :D Just for the heck of it, I went to see if my Mozart video still had that "matched third party content" stuff on it, and lo and behold those words are gone. So I disputed about five more of my videos with the same issue, and immediately those words were no longer there. I'm shocked and amazed, yet a little apprehensive too. Seems too easy, doesn't it? Like something bad is going to happen now....

*keeping my fingers crossed*

6. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Oooh, I'm on a roll... :D...just now figured out how to get my 'friends' to show up on my homepage! :D :D

If only Youtube could get the homepage videos to be listed vertically, instead of horizontally. That's my only gripe now.

7. hreichgott

hreichgott New Member

Hooray, hope those words stay gone... always nice when a dispute process works properly.

8. Rachfan

Rachfan Active Member Piano Society Artist

Chief Operating Officer, retired
    Last Name:
    April
    First Name:
    David
    Hi Monica,

At YouTube all my video recordings display vertically. Is that odd or what?

David

9. andrew

Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Wright
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Youtube:
    alkanliszt
    Wow, how did you manage that? And did you get the activity feed back?

I'd consider contesting the copyright thing, as it seemed to go fairly smoothly for you, but I have a few historical recordings on my channel which probably do consitute a breach of copyright, so I think I'll leave it as it is.

10. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Yes, but I can't help feeling like it was too easy to do. But so far, as of today, the words are still gone and my videos are still intact. :D
    Hi David, I know - it's very impractical. You now have to scroll and scroll and scroll in order to see all your 'people's' activities. I actually deleted one of my subscriptions; it was a news site and they put up several videos every day and so that is all I saw on my home page. It's better now that I've 'unsubscribed' to them. I can always just go to their channel if I want to see if there is anything of interest.

They've merged the 'friends' with the 'subscriptions'. You now have to 'subscribe' to your friends - at least the ones you want to see on your homepage activities. You are one of my 'friends' that I subscribed to, Andrew. Do you see that on your homepage - like did you get some kind of message that I subscribed to you? Here is the link that makes it easy to 'subscribe' to your 'friends'.

http://www.youtube.com/subscription_manager/friends

This is how you are able to see your friends/subscriptions activities on your homepage. Your activity on 'your' channel shows up in the 'feed' tab on your personal channel.

11. andrew

Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Wright
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Youtube:
    alkanliszt
    Ah, I see, thanks. I did get a notification that you had subscribed.

I liked the way it was before: sometimes friend activities turned up an interesting video that I wouldn't have thought to look at. I now feel I'll have to go through my friends list (which is pretty large) and work out who I should subscribe to. If I subscribe en masse I think that means I'll end up getting lots of irrelevant email notifications which didn't turn up before, simply as a consequence of maintaining the ability to view all friend activity on the news feed: I've not been especially selective about accepting or declining friend requests other than declining obvious spam. I'd rather keep friends and subscriptions separate: I think they are unrelated entities.

12. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    I agree with you - I liked it better the other way. I know what you mean that sometimes you discovered an interesting video by being directed to it by a friend. It's back to being like that again, except for the way it is displayed. If a friend favorites or likes more than one video, those videos are listed vertically, instead of horizontally like before.

I have been somewhat judicious in accepting friend request. I only accepted ones that I could see were into classical piano. All the rest just stayed in my inbox and I never replied. I have not 'subscribed' to all my 'friends' with this new system, so I don't have too much showing up on my homepage yet. I want to test things out for a while first...

13. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    I hadn't given this much thought so far, being a casual YT user (listening basically) but just stumbled upon this vid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcOa11R- ... ture=g-all

and there are many more in the same vein. The outrage is huge. A YT boycot is proposed for next friday.

14. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Haha, I've got a disputed video too now, it says

Your video, Bach - BWV 653 - An Wasserflüssen Babylon , may include content that is owned or administered by these entities:
    Entity: Music Publishing Rights Collecting Society Content Type: Musical Composition

Now that is a good joke, nothing being more public domain than Bach.
    From what I read here end there, this "Society" is rather a fraud. Not sure if it is even worth disputing.

15. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Well, the videos of mine that I've disputed are still in the clear; they don't show that there is a copyright infringement on them, and also when I am logged off and then view those videos, they do not say 'artist: Mozart', 'artist: Granados', etc anymore. It's very easy to dispute the claims now too. You just click a couple things, and you're done!

16. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Yes I'd already done the dispute and I no longer see any notice now, so assume it's ok.
    All this is utterly ridiculous of course. Seems to be some wonky automated process which no relation to reality. You'd think it was designed only to discourage uploaders. No brownie points for Youtube these days...

17. andrew

Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Wright
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Youtube:
    alkanliszt
    I suspect it's a token gesture to appease various corporate institutions by arguing that they have something in place to detect copyright abuse. Which is patently ridiculous, of course, there being entire TV programmes, films, etc, etc uploaded and they don't seem to get flagged. I think, shortly after Google took YouTube over, YT got sued by Viacom for copyright abuse; I have no idea what the upshot of that was.

18. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Yes it's lipservice at best. What puzzles me is that the organizations and their claims are shady. It's not clear to
    me what exactly they are claiming.

19. andrew

Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Wright
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Youtube:
    alkanliszt
    It says in YouTube help: "Music Publishing Rights Collecting Society" is not a company, but a generic term for collecting societies, the organisations in various countries which collect royalties. I suppose it is in YT's interests to generate (often specious) claims on videos, as that means they can place ads next to them.

20. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    That's shat I mean... shady. So what they say is "some organization thinks they have some claim on your video".
    What a load of bollocks :x