Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2017.

Mompou - Prelude and Musica Callada

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by robert, Dec 27, 2007.

1. robert

robert Active Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Stahlbrand
    First Name:
    Robert
  2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I enjoyed listening to this. I especially like the prelude, I never heard it before... I think it's very well played, but I can't say much about that actually.
    Anyway, thanks for posting it. :)

3. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    I have never before heard any Mompou. It's nice. Especially the first one. I also liked that one best. The second piece had nice parts but then had places that are too 'wild'. Still, interesting music, and your playing sounded fine.

ps. You want to hear something funny? I downloaded your files, transferred them to Itunes, and was about to do the id tagging stuff before I realized that I don't have to put up your files. :lol:

4. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    I am surprised to see you venture into Spanish repertoire ! Very idiomatically and thoughtfully played, as it should be. Although in the forte passages your attack can get a bit aggressive, which does not really suit Mompou. That could partly be the very bright sound of your instrument.

I don't have the score for Prelude 5 (just for 1-4) but have heard this one before. Can't remember these very pronounced arpeggios in the beginning - come to think of it, Mompou does not use arpeggios much if at all. His beloved bell sounds shine trough nicely in places here. The Musica Callada is finely done too especially these gentle dissonants. Good to have some more Mompou on the site - for all his small scale and ambition, he is an important piano composer. The Spanish Satie, as they say, but IMHO with far more depth. I should put him on my list again too.

5. robert

robert Active Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Stahlbrand
    First Name:
    Robert
    Thanks all. I think I will continue my tour with Mompou, just need to find more scores.
    The piano sounds bright and to be honest, I am not really happy about the sound from it. I play the high notes pretty soft, about mp but it does not sound that way.

Regarding the arpeggiated chords, they are really marked that way on the score. The top not should not be included which made me decide that the top right hand note and the lowest left should be played simultaneous and then roll up from left hand to right. Then there are quite some left hand appoggiaturas which I play before the beat and some mordents in the right hand which I play on the beat. Not 100% percent certain this should be the case but I'll meet with my teacher in the middle of January and can ask him. He seems to know Spanish classical music.