DONATION STATUS
Needed before 2016-12-31
$ 2,500
So far donated
$ 755

Merry Christmas with Bach

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by techneut, Dec 25, 2012.

1. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Christmas seems an ideal time to record some more Bach. At last I think I can leave both A major and minor pairs behind me (FTTB) and move on. The first one of these I posted in another thread two days ago. While not Gould-perfect, I think these are pretty decent now, and so they should be after the many months of preparation.

Bach - BWV 864 - Das Wolhtemperierte Clavier I - Prelude and Fugue No.19 in A major (3:35)
    Bach - BWV 865 - Das Wolhtemperierte Clavier I - Prelude and Fugue No.20 in A minor (5:44)
    Bach - BWV 888 - Das Wolhtemperierte Clavier II - Prelude and Fugue No.19 in A major (4:10)
    Bach - BWV 889 - Das Wolhtemperierte Clavier II - Prelude and Fugue No.20 in A minor (7:12)

2. pianoman342

pianoman342 Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Tucker
    First Name:
    Riley
    Hi Chris,

Had a listen to these new pairs in the WTC Book 1 and 2. I have never played these pieces so I can't add feedback of the like. But I think they sound nice, the voicing and tempo seem spot on with these prelude and fugue pairs. 864 is has a nice melodic line, I think it comes out ok in your performence. Though the 865 seems tricky with a quasi-dance like rhythm in the prelude. And what an ingenious if somewhat unconventional ending. The 888 sounds like its in three and has a nice "rolling" feeling to it. I imagine this is a difficult piece to play because there is no place to hide, (as with most of Bach's piano music, no rests :| ) The 889 I think has some of the most tricky rhythms of this set. It starts with a hemiola rhythm in the melody? And I imagine their are a lot of notes in the score that do not fit evenly into the barlines. It reminds me of the No. 6 Invention. I learned this for my piano class and it was much harder than I originally had thought, when I was first introduced to it through Mr. Stahlbrand's recording. One things is, and I know Gould wouldnt care much for this, IMO there should be more space between the repeats. That aside, that you plaid this through without a scratch is incredible.

Enjoyed listening to these, or should I say.. thanks for the Christmas Present :)

3. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    A belated thanks for your feedback Riley ! I meant to reply but forgot.
    There's certainly some difficult material in this batch. I would not pretend that I played thru any of these without a scratch, as you put it. As usual in my recordings there are some cuts, on average one per 1-2 pages I reckon. Otherwise practising and recording just takes too damned long.....

4. pianoman342

pianoman342 Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Tucker
    First Name:
    Riley
    I imagine so. I admit I am not brave enough to even try 'em.. :lol:

I see. I find the topic of cuts/stitching sections very interesting and difficult requiring:

-consistent tempo between the end of one cut and the start of another

-room tone (sound of the room) has to be simliar or else it will sound like a cut. Not always easy to control (uhh.. those damn airplanes! :wink: )

-new section must come in on the right beat or else *this will sound like ^this

• *We all listen to this. Editing must be done carefully.

^We all listen to thisEditing must be done carefully. :roll:

I think its easiest when the music calls for a full stop. But all this said I think you have really mastered this, because listening again, I still can't pick out the seams :eek: 8)