Thank you to all those who donated in 2015!

DONATION STATUS
Needed before 2016-12-31
$ 2,500
So far donated
$ 595

Mendelssohn - Three Fantasies or Caprices Op. 16

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by luissarro, Oct 21, 2012.

1. luissarro

luissarro New Member

Home Page:
    http://www.felipesarro.com
    I started playing the piano at 8, but then at 12 I stopped, and would go back to it only at 15. When I got back, this scherzo was one of the first pieces my teacher taught me.

Now I wanted to learn the other three, and here they are.

There is also a video version of the scherzo. This piece is amazing, isnt it? :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4df4bmKVzYQ

Mendelssohn - Three Fantasies or Caprices Op. 16 - I Andante con moto(5:08)
    Mendelssohn - Three Fantasies or Caprices Op. 16 - II Scherzo(2:44)
    Mendelssohn - Three Fantasies or Caprices Op. 16 - III Andante (5:30)

2. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Good playing. Doesn't make me like Mendelssohn's style any better though. No.3 has some moments of greater depth but overall the music sounds glib and sugary to me.
    Can you please adhere to the rules for naming and tagging ? The Title fields are fine (and that is the most improtant) but please address the other ones too, as well as the file names. And please, use no accidentals in any tag (your first name in this case).

Trouble counting, eh :p

3. luissarro

luissarro New Member

Home Page:
    in fact, I had previously written "the othree three". :lol:

4. luissarro

luissarro New Member

Home Page:
  5. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Ok, these are on the site - please check.
    You still did not supply all the tags - Album, Composer and Genre were missing. I wish people would take the small effort to check the rules and do it properly the first time.

6. richard66

richard66 Richard Willmer Piano Society Artist

Amateur musician
    Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Willmer
    First Name:
    Richard
    http://server3.pianosociety.com/cms/index.php?section=2963
    What I did to solve this problem was to create a template, so that whenever a new recording is ready, all I need to do is to fill in the fields, which I maks as: Composersurname-op-no-Sarro (for Luis, of course) and so on.

7. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    A template would be real handy. Not sure that all tagging software has such a thing though. iTunes doesn't.
    Or, I should write some nagging software, hehe :)

8. Affinity

Affinity New Member

Very lovely playing of these moving pieces (which I've all heard for the first time without score). I liked the well-done conventional crescendo in the fast section of the first piece, the scherzo in general, as well as some of the inflections you brought out so well in the final piece. However, I think the middle voiced accompaniment could pulsate a bit more in the main sections, and the climax from 3:31 - 4:07 doesn't sound entirely convincing since the dynamics don't seem to extend past the sfz of the first chord, which sounded a bit jarring. Perhaps you can take some liberty with the sfzs?). Still, very lovely, and I really enjoyed this set in general, so thanks for recording this.

9. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Very nice, Luis! Well played - especially the second one. But do you not hear all the squeaky noise in the background? It's really loud on the first piece. Sounds like it could be your pedal? It's sort of squeaky and jingly - like little bells. You should attend to that before you make more recordings.

10. luissarro

luissarro New Member

Home Page:
    Thanks!

Thank you, Monica.
    Yes, I noticed that... It's my pedal! The first piece of the set was the last one I recorded. So it means that lately my pedal started making noises... but it wasn't one week ago. =\

[​IMG]

11. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sorry, Luis, but that just cracked me up.

Every once in a while my pedals make a strange noise too. It's all part of the piano getting acclimated in its new home, and also temperature fluctuations, which I'm sure you already know. Next time your piano tuner comes, he should be able to fix it. Mine did. Or try jiggling something down there, maybe you can fix it yourself; like possibly it's just a vibration.

12. luissarro

luissarro New Member

Home Page:
    you're right. and São Paulo has lots of EXTREME weather variations too.

within 2 years I'll change my piano to a bigger one (probably a Yamaha C2). I hadn't gotten a C2 becaus I didn't have all that time at that time, but now I'm working again. =D

I keep thinking... maybe I should change it right now, because... if it takes too much to accommodate to my room, it can be that when it finally accommodates, I will soon change to a new one, then wait 2 years more to accommodate... that would be 4 years waiting for the piano to feel at home in my room. =D

(though the piano tuner told me there will be a new Yamaha series, since Yamaha bought Bosendorfer. so maybe it would be better to wait a while and see how these new pianos will be. I simply can't wait too much: within 2 years, my piano tuner said he accepts back my piano for the same price I paid for. after 2 years, the price changes.)

13. rainer

rainer New Member

I can't hear the noises on my cheap speakers, but (and forgive me if I'm stating something too obvious) are you wearing different shoes, compared to a week ago? Some rubber soles can make pedals squeak even when there's nothing wrong with the piano.

14. luissarro

luissarro New Member

Home Page:
    Hi, Rainer!
    Thanks for listening.

Yes, I was probably using the same shoes. =D
    The thing is that the noise is not on the foot, but on the dampers when they reach the strings.

Chris, I didn't fill in the other fields since they are not mandatory (according to the post about tags) and they are not properly used by the MP3 players: each one has a different way of showing them. That's why I never paid attention to them. But if it becomes mandatory, just tell me.

15. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    What I hear is more of a metallic sound...like something jiggling. The sound of dampers on the strings is a swooshing sound. You probably just need something tightened or oiled. Have someone crawl under your piano while you play and see if they can find where the sound is coming from.
    Although just to warn you, I once heard a strange noise coming from what I thought was my piano lamp and turned out it was a candle stick vase thingy that sits on my fireplace mantel way on the other side of the room. Sound waves....isn't that amazing! I was amazed when I finally figured it out.

16. richard66

richard66 Richard Willmer Piano Society Artist

Amateur musician
    Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Willmer
    First Name:
    Richard
    http://server3.pianosociety.com/cms/index.php?section=2963
    Same here: I become exasperated while playing and hearing something in the room vibrating in sympathy. At times it was one of the screws on the lid, other times the score rack (is that what it is called?) that, in contact with the lid, vibrated, at others a nearby bell or silver spoon.

That should give you some idea what to hunt for.

17. luissarro

luissarro New Member

Home Page:
    you're right. I just checked right now, it has nothing to do with the dampers striking on the keys. But it is something of the pedal mechanism. If I just press the pedal, without even touching the keys, I hear the strings vibrating (and the noise, of course).

18. rainer

rainer New Member

Because you say "and the noise", it looks like you are describing two different problems. You have the pedal mechanism making one kind of noise, and you also have "the strings vibrating" when the dampers lift off them. This second type of noise is, I think, what Monica means by "swooshing sound", and it is usually much more noticeable when the dampers lift off the strings than when they land on them. It is presumably caused by very slight friction between the surface fibres of the felt dampers and the strings, and it will probably never go away, it will just gradually become less noticeable as the fibres settle down, so it's a problem which is much worse on new pianos than on ones which have been played for a few years.

It may be that the mechanism noise also then echoes around the strings, so when you get the first problem fixed, perhaps the second one will be less bad.

19. luissarro

luissarro New Member

Home Page:
  20. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Ohhhh....don't cry, Luis. It's okay....it's really just a minor thing (probably). Your piano technician can fix it in a jiffy.
    btw - Rainer is exactly right about the dampers making a swooshing sound louder when your piano is new. Mine did that too. Can't remember if I already told you this, but I even called Yamaha about it....they thought I was a little goofy. But if the swooshing sound bothers you that much, close your lid. That blocks the sound considerably.