Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2017.

Martucci Fantasy on "La forza del destino"

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by andrew, Jun 2, 2011.

1. andrew

andrew Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist

Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Wright
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Youtube:
    alkanliszt
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqvujtEdmho

I definitely fancy revisiting this piece (I think I would handle it better now, additionally I now have a lot more experience playing live - that was only my second formal public concert), though no. 9 of the set is more of a personal priority.

2. musicrecovery

musicrecovery Member Piano Society Artist

Special Ed/Music Teacher NYC (Retired)
    Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Rochelle
    First Name:
    Kaila
    Hello Andrew,

Thank you for a very enjoyable performance. Your technique is absolutely amazing and you maintain a beautiful tone throughout.
    Beautiful piece.

Congratulations.

Kaila Rochelle

3. Rachfan

Rachfan Active Member Piano Society Artist

Chief Operating Officer, retired
    Last Name:
    April
    First Name:
    David
    Hi Andrew,

Bravo! You gave a splendid performance of this very difficult work. Very inspiring! It's a huge achievement, Andrew, and I congratulate you. Yes, we can all improve a thing or two in our recordings in later revisits as you mentioned here. Nonetheless, this is marvelous artistry. Thanks for sharing your video, and I hope that others who read this thread will enjoy it as well.

David

4. andrew

Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Wright
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Youtube:
    alkanliszt
    Thanks, I'm glad you enjoyed it. It's one of those pieces which just won't get played unless someone makes a point of it, and to me that is a real shame.

5. andrew

Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Wright
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Youtube:
    alkanliszt
    My technique's better now than it was then, so I think I'd handle a few of the untidinesses more cleanly, and hopefully wouldn't run out of steam a little towards the end as I feel I did there. That said, it was quite an exciting performance and better than I (looking back several years later) thought it might be. I can tell from watching that I'm quite involved in the piece, but nowadays I wouldn't open my programme with it; it's asking a lot!

6. musicusblau

musicusblau Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

High-school-teacher with subjects music and german
    Last Name:
    Pfaul
    First Name:
    Andreas
    Hi Andrew,
    that´s an excellent performance! I had no score and cannot judge details so. But my whole impression is, that you play it very expressively and subtle. It´s the great virtuoso style of 19 th century and I like that a lot. (Have you ever listened to Horrowitz´ "Carmen-variations"? They are so great!) You seem to master that piece with high perfection without playing here too much for to reach sureness, you also seem to "risk" something, which is absolutely necessary in such pieces in my humble opinion. Also the end I find successfull and brilliant (like I said, without knowing the score, but I think, it would be insignificent, if there would be two or three wrong notes here, because the whole harmony is absolutely brilliant and clear. In fomer times pianists didn´t also care too much about such little mistakes, good examples are Edwin Fischer and Alfred Cortot and also Horrowitz)!
    You also seem to have a very nice piano and recording equipment, since the sound-quality is also really good.

7. andrew

Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Wright
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Youtube:
    alkanliszt
    Hi Andreas, thanks for your comments!

In playing such pieces I always aim to keep the performance in an improvisational style, as I suspect that's how many of these pieces were originally conceived. I did take chances in this recording (as it's live and the piece is pretty difficult it's hard not to!). Not all of them worked - there are some inaccuracies which I would correct if I was recording it in a studio - but I think it's far better to take risks and enter into the spirit of the piece rather than concentrate on a dull but accurate projection of one note after another. (Horowitz Carmen Variations being a good example, he's certainly not technically perfect in it, but it doesn't matter).

It was recorded in concert on a Steinway Model D, as you say a very nice piano. I've played on that particular instrument a few times now and it is a pleasure to play. I recorded it with an Edirol R09-HR and with borrowed professional microphones; I can't remember which specific make though.

8. musicusblau

Last Name:
    Pfaul
    First Name:
    Andreas
    Andrew wrote:
    I agree completely to all that you have written here! You have really well done!

Wow, that´s interesting, how nice even an Edirol can sound with professional microphones!

9. Chopinesque

Chopinesque New Member

Systems Developer
    Hello Andrew, I've never heard of this composer either and can't comment on your playing because it's far beyond me, but I just wanted to say it sounds very impressive and I've enjoyed it.

10. andrew

Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Wright
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Youtube:
    alkanliszt
    That's actually very useful to me as the Edirol forms part of my intended set up for future recordings - I'll speak to the source I got the microphones from so that I can find out details. This will influence my choice of microphone purchase (I'm not convinced by the ones I bought with the Edirol). It probably also helped that the microphone placement was done by one of my teachers who has a keen interest in such things and a very good ear.

11. andrew

Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Wright
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Youtube:
    alkanliszt
    Thanks, I'm glad you enjoyed it. Unfortunately recordings of Martucci's compositions are few and far between.

12. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Actually there's a super budget 4-CD box from Brilliant Classics with recordings licensed from the ASV label, with the complete orchestral works
    (the two symphonies, two piano concerti, La Canzone dei Ricordi, and some assorted trifles). Sounds a little dated (1989) but still very good, well worth the modest price. And awesome piano playing from Francesco Caramiello (these are two monster concertos).

13. andrew

Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Wright
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Youtube:
    alkanliszt
    I actually have the original ASV recording of the 2nd concerto; in size and conception it approaches the scale of the Busoni concerto, but not in my opinion on the same musical level.

14. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Indeed not. The problem with Martucci is that he was a very accomplished composer and pianist but he consistently failed to produce memorable tunes. And a good tune is IMO what makes you want to listen to a piece again. The Busoni concerto has them in spades - on top of everything else.

15. musicusblau

Last Name:
    Pfaul
    First Name:
    Andreas
    Andrew wrote:
    That sounds well. Take time to test several microphones and to choose the one you really like!