Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2017.

Manuel de Falla - Canciones (voice and piano)

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by Francois de Larrard, Jul 2, 2016.

1. Francois de Larrard

Francois de Larrard Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Researcher
    Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Larrard
    First Name:
    Francois de
    Dear All,

It is my pleasure to introduce my wife Françoise (almost the same first name, but with an e). Françoise is a pianist and a very good amateur mezzo-soprano. She got singing courses in a conservatory during her '20, then sang with a number of choirs and ensembles. She also practiced the lieder and melodies repertoire, as a solo singer. We have played music together for long, but we did not make many recordings. Recently, after having given these pieces in two private concerts, we decided to record them. And this is our first appearance at PianoSociety as a duo !

Falla's composition is a set of seven pieces called "Siete canciones populares espanolas" (Seven popular spanish songs). Very typical spanish music, in the continuity of Albeniz, Granados and all the tradition of popular music mixed with European heritage. The piano part is beautifully written (and quite tricky to play, believe me, at least for certain pieces !). Here we give only the 6 first pieces. Françoise is not happy about her rendition of the last one. I think it could be acceptable, but, well, I learnt how to keep peace at home, one important point if you want to live happy ;)... We then recorded the following pieces:
    • 1. El paño moruno (The Moorish Cloth)
    • 2. Seguidilla murciana
    • 3. Asturiana
    • 4. Jota
    • 5. Nana
    • 6. Canción
    For those who have little time, I recommend Nana, my prefered one (a nostalgic and utmostly touching lullaby). Finally, I am dedicating this rendition to Monica Hart, whom we are missing a lot at PS, and who is a Spanish music lover and excellent player !

Attached Files:

2. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Oh, Francois, you are so sweet! And you've coaxed me out of hiding...
    I don't know why I still don't feel like participating on PS. I can't even remember the last time I made a recording. But I am still practicing my piano.

Anyway, you are right that I like Spanish music. I listened to all of your recordings here with your wife and really enjoyed them very much!! (yes, no. 5 is hauntingly beautiful!) How nice that you can both collaborate on musical projects!! I'm hoping to do that too in the near future....
    Your wife sounds very nice, and your playing is of course excellent as always! Nice pieces, I'm glad you shared them!!

Thank you, Francois!:)

3. neural

neural New Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

hospital doctor
    Last Name:
    Knibb
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Dear François - these are beautiful pieces, thank you for introducing me to them. I wish I still had a regular singer to accompany so I could try them!

4. Francois de Larrard

Francois de Larrard Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Researcher
    Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Larrard
    First Name:
    Francois de
    @Jonathan: yes these pieces are really neat. I'm not sure to have reached a full idiomatic style, but this is really a jewell of Spanish music. Amazing to see how Falla writes well for piano, having composed a quite limited catalogue... However he writes magnificently for orchestras, and at the end piano is just another instrument of it.

@Monica: I am so pleased to see you popping out ! Thanks for your kind compliments. And since you are (fortunately) still playing the piano, you must let us enjoy the result of your work... Maybe you had in the past an overdose of PS. But this site is not like alcohol: after having severely addicted, you may manage to become a more reasonnable consumer (and provider !). At least I guess so ;)... All the best,