Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2017.

Madetoja - 3 Romances Op.17

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by techneut, Jun 27, 2015.

1. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Leevi Madetoja (1887-1947) was a Finnish composer who studied with Jean Sibelius, Vincent d'Indy and Robert Fuchs. He wrote these three miniatures in 1913. The second, arguably the best, has gained some popularity but I don't think there was a complete recording anywhere on the web yet. I really like no.2, and it was the reason for recording this set. No.1 is nice too, but I don't care so much for no.3 which I only recorded for the sake of completeness.

Madetoja - 3 Romances Op.17 - 1: You were closest to me (1:30)
    Madetoja - 3 Romances Op.17 - 2: Little Romance (2:17)
    Madetoja - 3 Romances Op.17 - 3: Dance (1:17)

I also made a video of these : https://youtu.be/skg5tnoCwZ8

2. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    That was nice music, and I think you played it well! I actually liked no. 3 better than no. 1.
    Interesting little movement there with your hand and chin..... :p

3. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Ummm, what little movement was that :?:

4. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    You must know. Besides, if I say exactly where it is, then people reading this will skip ahead in the video to that spot. It's better if they watch the whole video, right?

5. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Oh, I see what you mean now. A rhetorical gesture slightly too far. I hope it's not too embarrassing. At least I did not have to scratch my nose, as sometimes happens.

6. Zicade

Zicade New Member

It is already really good. One thing you could improve in Nos. 1 and 2 is to make the piano sing more, as if there were no hammers striking keys but rather like a melody instrument (flute etc.). Maybe the keys for the melody notes should be held down a bit longer to get this "singing tone", especially in No. 1.

7. andrew

andrew Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist

Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Wright
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Youtube:
    alkanliszt
    I struggle to have anything particularly meaningful to say, but I thought number three was the most appealing! - quite a nice miniature imo. Nicely put together video, incidentally.

8. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Thanks Daniel. I agree that no.1 is a bit too load and pedestrian (which did not occur to me while recording). I think I'll re-record this set in audio only, I can't be bothered to make another video - this is too much work already.

Thanks :) If only I could manage to look a bit happier on video. I should really capture the keyboard only.

9. MarkieUK

MarkieUK Member Piano Society Artist

Student
    Last Name:
    Hopwood
    First Name:
    Mark
    Nice playing. I'd never heard of this composer, though I do know and like some of Indy's music. I think you play no. 2 the best: there's more tenderness and dynamic shading in it, and you seem to capture the mood of the piece.

10. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Thx Mark. I think no.2 comes off best too. If it wasn't for no.2 I would not have recorded this set.

11. Rachfan

Rachfan Active Member Piano Society Artist

Chief Operating Officer, retired
    Last Name:
    April
    First Name:
    David
    Hi Chris,

I must admit that I'm unfamiliar with this composer, but his compositions have a lot of charm as heard in your performances here. I believe that these romances give the impression that they are more nostalgia than passion. But your playing brings out the best in all three numbers in my opinion. You exhibit a fine technique in meeting the demands, and your interpretations are very convincing. Marvelous playing!

David

12. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Thank you David. It 's too much honor really. Even though these pieces are easy (except the last few bars of no.3) I could have spent more time with them.
    Actually I was thinking there were only two. When I had recorded them to satisfaction (at that moment) and sat down to process them I discovered there was a third.
    I printed it out, got back to the piano and had it captured in half an hour. I was impatient to get it over with as I found not liking this one much, so did not bother to iron out the two tiny flaws that maybe few people would even hear.

13. troglodyte

troglodyte Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Professor
    Last Name:
    Parrow
    First Name:
    Joachim
    Nice find, I enjoyed them! No 1 you play a bit perfunctorily, I would use a slightly slower tempo and let the phrases swell out more. No 2 is the most interesting and you do project an intense feeling of longing and wehmut and occasional hesitations and uncertainties which come across as completely honest, evidently this struck a chord with you. Judging from the sheet music would do it a bit differently, perhaps with a slightly faster tempo (it does say con moto) to better bring out the long singing phrases. This is purely subjective. And I am glad you completed no 3 because it rounds off the set with a springy feeling and catchy melody which you make relaxed and fun in an unpretentious way - if this is the result of half an hour then you are in much better shape than I am. Over all well done!

Joachim

14. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Thanks Joachim ! Indeed no.2 strikes a chord with me, much more than no's 1 and 3. I am still contemplating redoing no.1, as it is indeed a bit stiff, and no.3 as there are two flaws. I will not redo the video though. I hate making videos....

15. StuKautsch

StuKautsch Member Piano Society Artist

Software Developer
    Last Name:
    Kautsch
    First Name:
    Stewart
    I usually listen the mp3's for a 'sanity check', but thought I would treat myself to a video. Glad I did, since I was able to see your physical approach to the instrument, which is very solid. My teachers would have loved your arm and hand deployment.

Also, I was glad to see that you used the Tascom for the video; the sound was good.

As I write this, I'm listening to Madetoja's Lyric Suite for cello and piano - very beautiful. Thanks for introducing me to this composer.

16. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Glad to hear that :) I'm all for efficient playing without unnecessary hand and arm movements.

A smartphone seems kinda ok for video, but is awful for audio. Although I remember a recording done on iPhone (I think it was from Eddy) which had quite good sound.