Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2017.

Lyapunov "Nuit d'été" Transcendental Étude op11 no

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by coqdorysme, Feb 6, 2009.

1. coqdorysme

coqdorysme New Member

Hello everyone!

I'm a new member here and I discovered this forum after realising I could actually contribute to the Piano Society website, whose range of recordings has always impressed me.

I like playing Romantic and contemporary music, having quite some experience with Chopin and Liszt, as well as a bit of contact with more modern names like Bortkiewicz, Kapustin and Godowsky.

Here's a piece I made a recording of in late 2007:

Lyapunov Transcendental Étude no5: Nuit d'été

Enjoy!

2. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Hello and welcome to Piano Society.

In order to become a member, you must submit three recordings to be evaluated. If other members and we administrators deem your playing to be acceptable, then you will invited to become a member. Your recording here is almost borderline acceptable because of the sound quality. Your playing is very good, though. Please submit a couple more recordings - hopefully recent and with a higher bitrate (but no more than 220). Maybe you'll get a better sound quality.

3. juufa72

juufa72 New Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Grocholski
    First Name:
    Julius
    *somewhat exception to the rule* You don't have to submit 3 recordings, if the submission is of a substantial composition (i.e. 20 minutes of virtuosity and bombastic piano playing). :wink: :lol: 8)

4. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    First of all, anyone who tackles any of Lyapounov's ferociously difficult etudes has my deepest respect. In these magnificent works, he beats Liszt at his own game. This op. 11 set is IMO fully worthy to stand alongside Liszt's transcendental etudes, and in some respects surpasses them. This may be one of the 'easier' ones but it's still a considerable handful, and you do a great job on it. It would be wonderful to have this composer on the site at last. I have sweated over a number of these etudes but never summoned the guts to even contemplate recording any. Hats off to anyone who does.

But what a shame the subterranian sound quality makes this one unsuitable for the site. For all your flamboyant and near-perfect pianism, this is not a great listen. If you are serious about being a PS pianist, which I hope you are, please invest in some decent recording gear. Several devices have been discussed in these quarters, just search for 'Edirol' or 'Zoom'.

In terms of playing and interpretation, there's little to wish for here, but I hope you can provide a better sounding recording. And I'll be much interested to hear your Kapustin and Godowsky recordings.

5. Rachfan

Rachfan Active Member Piano Society Artist

Chief Operating Officer, retired
    Last Name:
    April
    First Name:
    David
    Hi coqdorysme,

Welcome to Piano Society! I just listened to your rendition of "Nuit d'ete". Bravo! You not only show a wonderful technical prowess in performing this very difficult piece, but you also bring much expressiveness to it and a compelling romantic surge in your playing. Excellent!

Sergei Liapunoff was one of Russia's best late romanticists, but is somewhat underrated in my opinion. Despite that, his Transcendental Etudes are unquestionably one of the pinnacles in the piano literature. And of that set, the "Nuit d'ete" has always been my favorite. Thanks for sharing it here!

I do agree with the others that if you could enhance your recording process, it would make the listening experience even more enjoyable.

Also, can you tell us something about the piano you played here?

David

6. juufa72

Last Name:
    Grocholski
    First Name:
    Julius
    I wonder if anyone will have the guts to play his Variations on a Russian Theme :shock:

7. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Why, is that difficult then ? Tell us about it !

8. juufa72

Last Name:
    Grocholski
    First Name:
    Julius
  9. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Russian variation tend to be pretty hard and these are no exception. I don't kow how this one feels under the fingers, but it looks and sounds much 'easier' than the op.11 Etudes. I do find this set a little turgid though, I had expected more of it.

10. coqdorysme

coqdorysme New Member

I recorded this by putting my laptop on the piano cover - a Yamaha baby grand my previous school owned - and simply playing. It's a rather echoey place.

That said, I have been considering re-recording this piece. After all, another one and a half years of piano playing should mean something :wink:

And yeah, I'll try to borrow some good gear to record with. Many thanks for all the encouragement!