Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2017.

Lyapunov - Nuit d'été (again!)

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by coqdorysme, Mar 17, 2009.

1. coqdorysme

coqdorysme New Member

Hey all,

It's me again, after a long break and some hunting for equipment. So here's a newer version of the same etude I posted a while back, with better sound and (as I do hope) some improved interpretation.

Enjoy!

Sergei Lyapunov - Nuit d'été

2. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Hello again,

Please submit this as an attachment. Thank you.

3. coqdorysme

coqdorysme New Member

4. juufa72

juufa72 New Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Grocholski
    First Name:
    Julius
    You play this quite well to my standards. Thank you for sharing.

5. Rachfan

Rachfan Active Member Piano Society Artist

Chief Operating Officer, retired
    Last Name:
    April
    First Name:
    David
    Hi coqdorysme,

I just listened to your newer posting of "Nuit d'ete". Bravo! Yes, your interpretation is definitely more knowing now and even more convincing. The playing is also very fluent and fluid with a fine romantic surge as needed. Masterful playing!

I listened with the headset and noticed a very strong, constant air current on the right side of the piano, probably an A/C or forced-hot-air heat diffuser (depending on the season). In the quieter more serene parts, you really had to compete with that blower noise. It sounds like you were playing a concert grand (Steinway D?) in an auditorium. If so, you'd have no control over the HVAC noise, of course. I have central A/C at home and found that in summer I must turn the A/C off before starting a recording. Even though my ears would tell me the sound of the rushing air was quite subtle, the stereo mics told me otherwise! At this point I doubt you can filter that out using off-the-shelf editing products. It could probably be done at a professional recording studio though. Your recording is so good that it might be well worth the cost.

David

6. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    From what I remember of the first recording, I think this new one has the edge in terms of sweep and flamboyance. I am not sure if I like it better because of it, though. I felt certain parts are being pushed too hard now.

What throws me in this recording is the massive hiss. It sounds to me less like an airco than like a heavy monsoon rain raging outside your room :wink: I think this makes it unfit for the site - which is a shame because you play so well.

You said you'd been on the hunt for new equipment - so what are you using now, and where comes this hiss from ? This was no so in your Godowsky pieces, which IIRC sounded much better than this.