DONATION STATUS
Needed before 2016-12-31
$ 2,500
So far donated
$ 805

Lorenz Mueller - Nanokosmos

Discussion in 'Composing' started by pianoman342, Jan 18, 2012.

1. pianoman342

pianoman342 Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Tucker
    First Name:
    Riley
    I was looking on YouTube late last month at a few different performances of various pieces by Bartok. I stumbled upon a video by a composer, one Lorenz Mueller. It caught my eye because it was labeled "Nanokosmos." Having heard some pieces here on ps from Bartok's "Mikrokosmos," I was curious. I watched the video/heard the pieces (as it turns out, they are in fact inspired by Bartok's Mikrokosmos) and they made an impression on me. I wrote Mr. Mueller telling him I would be interested in playing pieces from "Nanokosmos." He wrote me back and emailed me a score a few days later and I worked on them since a few weeks ago. I have since made a video with 5 of the pieces from the set. Unfortunately I wasn't able to find a grand piano and I am only using the audio recording device from my small camera. Hopefully it is still watchable/enjoyable. I had a lot of fun playing these pieces. Here is my video:

http://youtu.be/B81QqgG5hsA

Here is Lorenz's original video:

http://youtu.be/AJZ28-8zgTA

Hope you can enjoy :p ,

Riley

2. musical-md

musical-md Active Member

Physician
    Last Name:
    del Rio
    First Name:
    Eddy
    Hi Riley,
    I did enjoy these, especially the "fast, rhythmically" on Herr Mueller's video. Only one thing, it takes 1,000,000 Nanokosmos pieces to equal 1 Microkosmos piece. :wink:

3. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Good work indeed ! Maybe a bit more rhythmical zest would be nice but otherwise these are well done. You could do a bit more with differentiating the voices, the LH accompaniments can be a bit obtrusive at times.
    These are cute pieces, especially the "Shnell, Rhytmisch". Note quite on a par with Mikrokosmos but a good try.

4. pianoman342

pianoman342 Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Tucker
    First Name:
    Riley
    @ Eddy,

Thanks for listening, I also really like the "schnell rhytmisch" It reminds me a bit of Schumann's blindman's buff, only shorter and not in the minor key. And about it taking a million nanokosmos to equal 1 mikrokosmos, this is logic is quite sound :lol: , I agree :) IIRC there are over 100 mikrokosmos pieces, so it is quite a bit smaller..

@ Chris,

Thanks for the positive feedback. I agree the left hand could have been less prominent in places. I also feel cheated (though I can't blame it all on equipment) because the recorder is low quality and both upright pianos have coarse action that is not nearly as good as the Yamaha C3 (baby grand) I have been playing on in my other videos and the Steinway (full grand) that we play in studio class. Alas, I may record the remaining pieces in better quality and on better piano(s)

Riley