Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2017.

Liszt- Resignazione

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by liszt1970, Mar 7, 2009.

1. liszt1970

liszt1970 New Member

Pianist / Teacher
    Home Page:
    Franz Liszt- S.263, Resignazione (1877)

This is a relatively late piano work of Liszt. It is not included on my recent CD of Liszt late piano pieces.

Liszt - Resignazione, S.263/S.187a

2. juufa72

juufa72 New Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Grocholski
    First Name:
    Julius
    I never heard this before, but this does reinforce my belief that late-Liszt is better than his younger years.

3. liszt1970

liszt1970 New Member

Pianist / Teacher
    Home Page:
    That is quite a compliment, thank you! Liszt's late works can be controversial. I happen to love the late stuff.

4. Rachfan

Rachfan Active Member Piano Society Artist

Chief Operating Officer, retired
    Last Name:
    April
    First Name:
    David
    Hi liszt,

This is a very nice character piece. I confess I had not heard it before. Your playing is very sensitive and expressive. It demonstrates that quite apart from his virtuoisic idiom, Liszt could likewise apply his genius to a more simple and authentic mode of musical utterance.

While many of Liszt's late works were truly experimental, some of those "experiments" were highly artful and successful. For example, I've always enjoyed Annees de Pelerinage, "Troisieme Annee" (Book III), which has nearly nothing in common with Books I and II, as Book III was composed so much later in Liszt's lifetime. Those pieces too are more properly considered as late works. Following your example, I think if more pianists, including me, were to spend some time exploring all of the late works further, we'd all find gems to our liking there.

Thanks for posting "Resignazione". Very nice playing!

David

5. liszt1970

liszt1970 New Member

Pianist / Teacher
    Home Page:
    I agree with you. As I've been advocating all along, there is so much more to Liszt than the fast and showy pieces.

Regarding the 3rd Year of Pilgrimage, 5 of the 7 pieces were recorded in 1877, same as Resignazione and Recueillement (which I also posted today), so your observation is exactly right.

For those of you who may be interested in other wonderful late works of Liszt, I just came out with a CD that includes the following pieces, which most people have never heard of. One of my goals is to spread the word about this remarkable and deeply moving music:

1 Vexilla Regis Prodeunt, S. 185
    2 Stabat Mater, S. 172B
    3 Impromptu (Nocturne), S. 191
    4 Elegie No. 1, S. 196
    5 Elegie No. 2, S. 197
    6 Sancta Dorothea, S. 187
    7 In Festo Transfigurations Domini Nostri Jesu Christi, S. 188
    8 Romance Oubliée, S. 527
    9 Wiegenlied (Chant Du Berceau), S. 198
    10 Nuages Gris (Trube Wolken), S. 199
    11 Schlaflos, Frage Und Antwort (Insomnie!, I & II), S. 203
    12 Die Trauer-Gondel (La Lugubre Gondola II), S. 200-2
    13 Trauervorspiel und Trauermarsch, S. 206
    14 En Reve (Nocturne) S. 207
    15 Bagatelle ohne Tonart (Bagatelle Sans Tonalite), S. 216A
    16 Unstern! Sinistre, Disastro, S. 208

6. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    This piece feels like it leaves you hanging at the end. (or maybe that's just me)

This is up on the site.

And to everyone else out there - I have listened to Alexander's new CD and it's fantastic! Anyone who is interested in learning more about Liszt's later years really needs to hear it.

7. juufa72

Last Name:
    Grocholski
    First Name:
    Julius
    Just out of curiosity, what is the last piano piece Liszt composed?

8. Rachfan

Last Name:
    April
    First Name:
    David
    Hi juufa,

Liszt's last original solo piano piece might have been the "Mephisto Waltz, No. 4" from 1885; however, unpublished manuscripts were found at his estate after his death, some being published later posthumously. So I'm not entirely sure that my answer here is correct.

David

9. Rachfan

Last Name:
    April
    First Name:
    David
    Hi juufa,

Liszt's last original solo piano piece might have been the "Mephisto Waltz, No. 4 (although the manuscript is playable but not in final form)", "Bagatelle without Tonality", "Trauervorspiel und Trauermarsch" or perhaps "Portraits of Hungarian Heros", all from 1885; however, unpublished manuscripts were found after his death, not all of which could be dated accurately, some being later published posthumously. The "Waltz in A Major" would be an example. It could also be that none of these works was his very last work for piano.

David

10. juufa72

Last Name:
    Grocholski
    First Name:
    Julius
    Isn't the Waltz in A-maj, which we have a recording of on the site, an early work by Liszt (i.e. in his teens?)

11. Rachfan

Last Name:
    April
    First Name:
    David
    I think you could be correct on the waltz. But other scores found after his death could quite possibly have been late works. Unfortunately, the various catalogs of Liszt's piano works (Searle, Sitwell, etc.), are not too conclusive on the question. Probably it would take some scrutiny by a musicologist to try to pinpoint it, perhaps going to library sources, existing letters from 1885-86 in various collections, publishers' autographed manuscripts, and the like. With a great many other composers, their very last work for piano is well known, such as Schumann's "Songs of the Dawn" for instance. But Liszt's last piano work seems to be a bit harder to determine, at least to me. Maybe some other member here has a definitive reference that would illuminate it more. I do suspect it might well be one of the four pieces I mentioned above though.

David

12. nathanscoleman

nathanscoleman New Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Coleman
    First Name:
    Nathan
    I'm here late, as usual! (go figure, the fat guy huffing and puffing in the rear)

This was very nice ... I love these late ferencisms! Just to add my two cents (of course, due to the weak dollar I should probably give four!) , I think Walker's bks say that the mephisto #4 is the last, but I could be mistaken.

13. liszt1970

liszt1970 New Member

Pianist / Teacher
    Home Page:
    Sorry I've been away for a while. I'm not getting the email notifications for some reason... Anyway, regarding the last piano piece Liszt wrote, I think it is not clear-cut. I think the pieces already mentioned are definite possibilities. However, a distinction should be made - there are TWO 4th Mephisto Waltzes! One is called 4. Mephisto-Walzer, Bagatelle ohne Tonart, which Raabe states was composed in 1885, but there is no proof where he got that info from. At the earliest, that one was composed sometime after the second half of 1883, after finishing the 3. Mephisto-Walzer. The other 4. Mephisto-Walzer, composed in March of 1885, was officially titled Vierter Mephisto Walzer. We don't know which piece was written first. By the way, they ARE two different pieces and they sound completely different from each other. The latter was not published until 1956. I recorded the Bagatelle ohne Tonart on my CD, which if you don't know it, is pretty cool. Quite forward-looking.

Thanks for the positive comments about the playing!

14. Rachfan

Last Name:
    April
    First Name:
    David
    Hi,

Well my first two mentioned possibilities, the Mephisto Waltz No. 4 and the Bagatelle without Tonality, are still in the running for "the last piece" then. (I'm not familiar with the latter though.) An interesting point to mention about the Mephisto Waltz's is that as the numbers progress from 1 to 4, they become less sensuous and more cruel in character.

David

15. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    regarding email notification - this is a test.

16. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    test #2

17. liszt1970

liszt1970 New Member

Pianist / Teacher
    Home Page:
    Just wondering if anyone replies to this if I will get an email...

18. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Alex, I don't really know why, but I got the email! That's super-weird to me, as it should have gone to you. I'm out of time tonight, but I will check my settings in the morning. [/b]