Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2017.

Liszt Priere des matelots

Discussion in 'Works in Progress' started by andrew, Nov 11, 2014.

1. andrew

andrew Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist

Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Wright
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Youtube:
    alkanliszt
    Transcription from Meyerbeer's L'Africaine. I'd upload this in the main audition room, but the section from about 6.40 to 7.21 is too messy imo. (And there are some issues with 3 v 2 rhythms, but that's far less obvious). Anyway, I'd be grateful for opinions - I'm intending to make another disc of transcriptions next year and I want to include a piece that's a bit less heavy on the pianistic confection angle.

https://soundcloud.com/andrew-wright-35 ... ts/s-pYvcX
    (live recording, masterclass performance)

2. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Finally, I have a free moment to listen here...

I've never heard this piece and really cannot offer any suggestions. It sure is a big long piece, though, and as usual I think you played it very nicely!!
    Best wishes on your next CD!

3. andrew

Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Wright
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Youtube:
    alkanliszt
    Thanks for listening. I don't really expect anyone to know this piece! I'm pretty clear about what pieces I'm going to select: close to 70 mins' worth and I have two reserve options. It's going to be a lot of work, but I'm looking forward to it.

4. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    I wonder - is there anything that Liszt did not transcribe ?

I guess he often did stuff like this to help fellow composers along, rather than out of genuine interest for the music. I could be wrong, I don't know anything about Meyerbeer except that he was well respected in his time but totally forgotten now. The musical content here seems rather sparse, and Liszt's rather long-winded pianization (a new word I just invented, as opposed to orchestration) does not convince me this should have been done at all. But then I am not a transcription buff like you :)

Whatever tiny imperfections there are here would not bother anyone expect the harshest critics. Most of us would be more than happy to post such a recording in the AR and get it on the site.
    That section you mention does not come over as messy, just as maybe lacking the last ounce of polish.

But if this is intended for a CD then it will ultimately not be allowed on the site, right ? Isn't that what happened with your previous recordings ? Or am I thinking of someone else here ?

5. andrew

Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Wright
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Youtube:
    alkanliszt
    He did about 66 transcriptions from opera, countless songs, Beethoven's symphonies, etc, etc! One of my biographies lists 13 pages of transcriptions of various sorts. This is a fairly late transcription (1865) and it's in a less pianistically flamboyant, more mature style. I think it's primarily of interest from the point of the sonorities; you're probably right about the overall merit of the initial material and it's certainly the same view that my teacher took.

I think some of the imperfections are quite painful but that may be a consequence of spending a fair amount of time on it. You may be right about the overall quality though. With that in mind, I've done a little judicious editing (which you hopefully can't spot :lol: - tweaking one take recordings and saying they're live is slightly naughty imo) and am a bit happier with it. I'll put it in the audition room this evening. Re the CD issue, are you thinking of the Nazareth recordings? In any case, while I want to put this piece on a CD, it will be done with a purpose-made recording from multiple takes of the problematic passages and thus any future CD would be a completely different entity, so I see no problem with the site hosting an unrelated historical live recording.