Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2017.

Liszt- Funerailles

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by liszt1970, May 9, 2008.

1. liszt1970

liszt1970 New Member

Pianist / Teacher
    Home Page:
  2. alf

alf Active Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Bertazzi
    First Name:
    Alfonso
    Is it a challenge? :D
    OK, just for the sake of having fun, since the performance is really noteworthy.
    I heard 4 false notes: the bass at ms. 101 is not neat (you hit some other note but cannot identify the pitch), an A# in the LH "filling" at ms. 107, a G in the third RH chord at ms. 149, and lastly your thumb presses a C and a D together at the fourth quaver of ms. 154. Having said that, your interpretation is very balanced but perhaps bit restrained, there is more Brendel than Berman, so to speak, and the building of the climax of ms. 103 (the only fff of the entire piece) could be more passionate. Also I miss the crescendo in the LH chromatic octaves starting at ms. 143, they should sound as sort of waves. Of course they are minor details in an overall outstanding rendition of this difficult piece. I wish I could play Funérailles like that.

3. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    No challenge from me. All I can say is "Wow!" Just listening makes my wrists hurt. :wink:

Great job! This will certainly go onto the main site when we get your page up.

4. liszt1970

liszt1970 New Member

Pianist / Teacher
    Home Page:
    This is fun. You mean I had more than one wrong note? :wink:

I seem to recall that the piano I was performing on was a bit on the dull side, meaning that it was especially difficult to get the more powerful sounds out of it- especially on the repeated octaves.

In general, I do tend to favor the "deeper" side of Liszt instead of the more obvious or surface side- speed for the sake of showing how fast one can play or loudness just to show how loud one can play.

Thanks for your comments and for taking the time to listen!

Alexander

5. Key88

Key88 New Member

Retired
    Funerailles

Congratulations - your performance is sympathetic and the changing moods of this wide-ranging piece are beautifully characterised. Your techical control is excellent, and I enjoyed this performance from first not to last. If there was a wrong note - who cares? You also had the benefit of a realistic recording quality which caught the tone of the instrument (Steinway?) very well.
    Verdict: first rate, let's hear more!

6. Syeles

Syeles New Member

retired
    No sheet music here for this, but I have another recording of this piece, so I tried listening to both several times and comparing. An impossible method. Anyway, no wrong notes at all from my perspective. Darned if I can identify anything but a powerful performance. Great stuff. Thanks!

7. liszt1970

liszt1970 New Member

Pianist / Teacher
    Home Page:
    The piano was a brand new Steinway D (9 foot). It was extremely well regulated and voiced evenly throughout the range of the instrument. New Steinways are notorious for being difficult to play, both because the action hasn't been worked in yet and the hammer felts are still soft. I actually prefer this kind of sound to the brighter alternative, usually.

Thank you again for the kind comments about my playing. :)

8. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    This is up on the site. :)

9. Mr Duffy

Mr Duffy New Member

the sheet music is here (scroll at the end of the page)

http://pianosociety.com/cms/index.php?section=1433

bye, Mr Duffy

10. robert

robert Active Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Stahlbrand
    First Name:
    Robert
    Wrong key at 1:33?

This is also a splendid recording and I notice a special soft tone in your playing that seems to be characteristic in your playing and very enjoyable. Must has something to do with your attack against the keys.

11. liszt1970

liszt1970 New Member

Pianist / Teacher
    Home Page:
    Thank you. I think you are right about the attack against the keys and my approach to playing. It would be too difficult to try to explain my technical approach to the keyboard in words, but I would say I was most inspired by my work with previous teachers Vitaly Margulis (Russian School), Gustavo Romero, Ann Schein, and even from feedback I received from Murray Perahia, John Browning, and Ivo Pogorelich when I played for them. I would say my approach is a combination of many ideas, and I try to use different approaches on an as-needed basis, depending on the requirements of the music.

12. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Ha ! Spot the mistake, our favourite game :p
    No bar numbers in my score, but I heard wrong notes at 1:26, 1:33, 6:40, 6:54, 8:15, and 8:24. I may have heard one or two tiny imperfections elsewhere but that could be illusion.
    Not that any of these matter, for this is a truly great performance. Especially your LH octaves are very powerful and impressive without being pounding. This piece easily turns into laborious bombast in lesser hards, but not so here. Maybe it could have been a bit more overt yet, as alf observed, but it is still very good indeed.

13. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Oh and I like that phrase "attack against the keys". Indeed, piano playing is a battle of man against machine :lol:

14. alf

Last Name:
    Bertazzi
    First Name:
    Alfonso
    Margulis?! Months ago I borrowed from a friend of mine some of his few available recordings (Bach, Chopin and Scriabin) and I was totally flabbergasted. Especially his Bach (a choice of P&F from the WTC) and Chopin (some Etudes) are a real wonder. I understand better your approach to the music you play, now.

15. musicusblau

musicusblau Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

High-school-teacher with subjects music and german
    Last Name:
    Pfaul
    First Name:
    Andreas
    Hi,
    I listened without score, because I don´t have it so I can´t say anything about wrong notes here (but techneut did this and this is always a perfect analyse), but only, that I enjoyed your expressive and musical playing very much!

16. alf

Last Name:
    Bertazzi
    First Name:
    Alfonso
    I missed those ones!!! Cannot compete with your bat-ears, Chris... :p :lol:

17. liszt1970

liszt1970 New Member

Pianist / Teacher
    Home Page:
    missed notes

Techneut, you have very good ears! But, are you sure about 8:24? I don't hear one there.

18. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Re: missed notes

Hehe, so they say. If only I had fingers to match :lol:
    No, there's nothing at 8:24. I wonder what I heard ? I may have meant 8:42, there seems to be the tiniest smudge there, as maybe at 8:25. But really, pointing out these minuscule things is only a game. They don't matter in such a great performance. I have more flaws in one bar than you in the entire Funerailles.

19. nathanscoleman

nathanscoleman New Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Coleman
    First Name:
    Nathan
    well, not to be a snob or anything, but I don't wanna diminish this amazingly profound recording by nitpicking. Thank you, Thank you for sharing this with us. Bravo!!!

I've never really 'gotten' the opening to this piece before, but you made it sound so obvious. I agree with some of the comments that it might benefit from a bit more extroversion in places, but I'd hate to hear it lose it's profundity. Well, well done! My favorite performance of this piece ever!

BTW, I notice this was your Cleveland audition CD?? How'd that go for you?

20. liszt1970

liszt1970 New Member

Pianist / Teacher
    Home Page:
    Thank you so much for your kind words about my performance! How did you know that this was from Cleveland? In fact, it was from the semifinal round of the Cleveland Competition a few years ago.