Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2017.

Liszt Concerto No. 1 in E-flat, Complete (Live)

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by liszt1970, Sep 26, 2008.

1. liszt1970

liszt1970 New Member

Pianist / Teacher
    Home Page:
  2. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Wow - that was great, Alexander! You know, I've never listened to this whole thing before, but I really like it, so thanks.

It is up on the site - please check all links.

3. juufa72

juufa72 New Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Grocholski
    First Name:
    Julius
    This is a solid performance. But I wish you were more explosive in the first few opening bars of the first movement. Listen to Richter's recording. Nevertheless, it's still a good recording.

4. nathanscoleman

nathanscoleman New Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Coleman
    First Name:
    Nathan
    mmmmmm ... merlot and liszt ... it goes together like piano music and wine!

Really, really good, Alex. The orchestra was really good, I thought. A lot of times the school orchestras really let the soloist down, but not this time. I wish they'd kept up with you at the finale though ... you were really rocking it! Well done ... the adagio was tear-inducing ... beautiful.

I'm sorry to say I agree with the juufster about the opening though ... it was accurate! but very safe ... still, that opening has got to shrivel the danglies .. no warm up ... just lightening octaves. In any case, I'm still stalking you! :p yummy!!!!

5. liszt1970

liszt1970 New Member

Pianist / Teacher
    Home Page:
    Thanks for listening and for the comments. I understand what you are saying about the opening octaves. That would certainly be the customary way of playing them... :wink:

6. musicusblau

musicusblau Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

High-school-teacher with subjects music and german
    Last Name:
    Pfaul
    First Name:
    Andreas
    A very good and musical performance. O.k. the begining was safely played, but better safely than unsafely, isn´t it?! :wink: Very dreamy passages and such, which are ful of temperament and great expression, especially in the Finale. Great job! Thank you very much for sharing!

7. liszt1970

liszt1970 New Member

Pianist / Teacher
    Home Page:
    Vielen Dank, musicusblau. I truly appreciate everyone's kind comments. In general, I like to explore the deeper musical characteristics of Liszt's compositions, not just fast speed and loud volume, which are some of the first things his music is sometimes associated with. Actually, in hindsight, I also think the opening could have been a bit more wild, and less restrained.

A.

8. musicusblau

Last Name:
    Pfaul
    First Name:
    Andreas
    see below, please

9. musicusblau

Last Name:
    Pfaul
    First Name:
    Andreas
    Liszt1970 wrote:
    Yes, I feel this, when I listen to your recordings. It´s a riper way to play Liszt, which very often is "raged" by some youngsters, who want to show, how fast their fingers work. (F.ex. for a long time I disliked the Mephisto-valse, because I heard it always played by 18 year old people or so, who played it cruelly fast, but didn´t interpretate the deeper sense of the music.

I agree.

BTW, I personally have played only three pieces of Liszt until now: "Vallée d´Obermann" and "L´orage" and "Les cloches de Geneve" of "Années de Pélerinage".

10. liszt1970

liszt1970 New Member

Pianist / Teacher
    Home Page:
    Oh, how I agree... Every time I hear the contestants in a major piano competition such as the Van Cliburn competition lately, for example, I am so turned off by what most of them play Liszt like, especially the Liszt Sonata. That is one of the greatest sonatas ever written for the piano, not just a vessel for letting people show off how loud and fast they can play. The Mephisto is a different kind of piece, but some people think anything by Liszt should just be as fast and as bangy as possible. Awful stuff...

Speaking of the Van Cliburn, has anyone heard the last winner, Alexander Kobrin? I got to hear him and meet him a couple times. His playing is quite different than the typical competition winner. Much more sensitivity and true musical integrity, in my opinion, at least in what I've heard him play.

11. nathanscoleman

nathanscoleman New Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Coleman
    First Name:
    Nathan
    Alex, somewhere I have an mp3 of him playing the Prokofiev 6th Sonata .... very, very good! And most particularly lyrical ...which is kind of weird saying that about that sonata ... but still.

So, tell all ... where'd you meet? what'd you say? what was he wearing?!! :p

12. liszt1970

liszt1970 New Member

Pianist / Teacher
    Home Page:
    I heard Kobrin play in Chicago a year or two ago. Some Rachmaninov Etudes-Tableaux, which I believe he has recorded. He doesn't play with that typical "fingers of steel" sound for every note. As to what he was wearing, that I don't remember, sorry. :) He struck me as a pretty nice person.