Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2017.

Liebestraume No. 3

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by Mark, Oct 26, 2008.

1. Mark

Mark New Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Hensley
    First Name:
    Mark
    EDIT: I've replaced the attached file with my final version of Liebestraume No. 3. It's about time!

Well, I'm making a CD to give all of my relatives for Christmas, so the deadline fast approaches, and to celebrate the completion of my last final ever (I think...) and my successful first thesis committee meeting, I made a flurry of recordings of all the projects I've been working on.

I don't know if the differences in this interpretation will be appreciably different from my previous version for most of you, but I think it's better. The B section is the same, but I think in the A and A' sections I pedal more clearly, catch the bass notes more accurately, and keep from indulging too much in the basic pulse.

I hope you enjoy!

Liszt - Liebesträume No. 3 in A-flat, 'O Lieb, so lang du lieben kannst'( 5:35 )

2. Tobias

Tobias New Member Piano Society Artist

Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Sing
    First Name:
    Tobias
    Hi Mark! It seems to be Liebestraum-weekend, with three recordings at the top of the Audition Room. :D
    You play it wonderfully!! You span a great line over the whole piece, starting and ending in a calm, quiet mood and with a great climax in between. I have no criticisms of any kind. Play it as here and you will give a great recital!

3. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    OMG ...... Liebestraum flood :shock: :roll:

A very good and solid performance, which only a few very tiny ragged ends which I am sure you will clean up eventually. I have no real criticism but just some personal observations.

In the beginning section, your bass notes are barely audible, not sure if you miseed some, but at some stage you seem to play them portato, as if they were played by plucked strings. Yes the RH should shine out, but don't be reluctant to let the LH sound as well and provide the fundament on which the piece will rest.

The central climax is very well done but sounds a bit monochrome to me. There could be more rubato, more expansiveness and exaltation, even bigger dynamics. It sounds just a tad literal, with all respect for the technical accomplishment.

I think your tempo for the reprise is too slow. It does make sense to have a somewhat more relaxed/resigned tempo here but the difference is IMO too big.

Although this is more than good enough for the site, we should wait for a re-recording ?

4. Mark

Last Name:
    Hensley
    First Name:
    Mark
    Thank you Tobias. I was sort of "in the zone" when I made that recording, and listening back to myself was a pleasant moment of discovery. I suppose it's not a good sign that I wasn't completely aware of exactly how I was sounding, but ah well, I'm not a professional:)

Thanks Chris, those are exactly the sort of comments I was looking for. I'll play around with them this week.

You're welcome to put up this recording, but I'll be submitting another one by at least next weekend.

5. Adam

Adam New Member

Musician, Student Economics
    Hah, and I was actually thinking of recording Liebestraum as my first PS recording as well... :lol:

Anyway, I like your performance. The bass notes at the start are a bit too quiet, as Techneut already said, but other than that this sounds excellent.

6. juufa72

juufa72 New Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Grocholski
    First Name:
    Julius
    I feel sorry for numbers 1 and 2 :?

7. Rachfan

Rachfan Active Member Piano Society Artist

Chief Operating Officer, retired
    Last Name:
    April
    First Name:
    David
    Hi Mark,

Very beautiful playing. You execute this piece with sweep and a sense of the long line. Some very nice nuances too. I do agree with Chris' comment above that you could pick up the pace in the reprise a bit to keep it more consistent throughout. Good work!

David

8. Rachfan

Rachfan Active Member Piano Society Artist

Chief Operating Officer, retired
    Last Name:
    April
    First Name:
    David
    Hi juufa,

I fully agree with you that the Nocturnes Nos. 1 and 2 seem to get eclipsed all the time by No. 3. I learned 1 and 2, both lovely pieces, about three years ago. I suppose I could record and post them here, but I'd have to go back and relearn them. With my Bortkiewicz project in full swing, and my limited practice schedule, it would have to be off in the future sometime. I just looked at the archive, and it appears that one of the members, Lap Huynh, did in fact post No. 2. Maybe someone will take an interest and do the Nocturne No. 1 in the near future for us, thereby enabling all three pieces to be rightfully represented in the PS archive.

9. musicusblau

musicusblau Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

High-school-teacher with subjects music and german
    Last Name:
    Pfaul
    First Name:
    Andreas
    Hi Mark,
    I listened with great pleasure. I agree to the comment of Chris in all points. I know more romantic versions of this piece concerning the expression (rubati, dynamics etc.). But, of course, it´s accurately played and on a high level in summary.

10. juufa72

juufa72 New Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Grocholski
    First Name:
    Julius
    These pieces are beyond my level and I don't have recording equipment. Count me out on this one chief. :oops: Back to chopsticks I go.

11. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Sounded beautiful to me.

12. fluterific00

fluterific00 Member

Private Piano Teacher College Piano Teacher Accomp
    Home Page:
    No, you're not stepping on my toes- it's bound to happen here on this site, right? Anyway, that's what keeps us playing. It's always good to hear how others would play it.
    Sounded good. have fun at your recital. [/quote]

13. Didier

Didier Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Brest
    First Name:
    Didier
    :roll: So nice!
    I much enjoyed your recording of this piece that I hav'nt heard for a long time.
    Thank you !
    And congratulations for your new president. USA are great!

14. rsmullyan

rsmullyan New Member Piano Society Artist

Mathematician, Musician, Magician & Author
    Last Name:
    Smullyan
    First Name:
    Raymond
    Beautiful!

15. StuKautsch

StuKautsch Member Piano Society Artist

Software Developer
    Last Name:
    Kautsch
    First Name:
    Stewart
    I have not heard this piece for years.

It's as beautiful as I remember it. I'll agree with some others that it began to sound a little more confident after the first 20-30 seconds.
    By now, your recital is in the past. I'm sure it went well.
    BTW: If you're still replying to this thread - are you processing your MP3 files? Just curious.

16. Mark

Last Name:
    Hensley
    First Name:
    Mark
    Thank you all for your great responses:) The recital went ok - the only way I can really prevent nervousness is by extreme over-learning, which I don't have time for these days, so I had a little bit of trembly finger action during my performance. I'm playing again at a med/grad student art show on Wednesday:)

Stu, in reference to your question about "processing," are you asking if I edit out mistakes and re-record sections? In my recent Beethoven Sonata recording I DID record in three different sections that I then pasted together, because I just couldn't get out an acceptably error-free version in one take, but in smaller works I've recorded, including this one, what you hear is exactly what I played.

17. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    I'm glad your recital was successful. Trembly fingers is something I know all about.

I'm sort of confused, though. Do you want this recording here to go up, or are you going to make a new one?

18. Mark

Last Name:
    Hensley
    First Name:
    Mark
    Hi Monica,

I've been really busy, but I still want to try to record another version with a few elements in the beginning and the end changed. Thanks for your patience.

19. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Okey dokey.

Do you want to keep the attachment up here? I like to remove attachments when we're done with them so there are not so many paperclips. But it's ok if you want to leave it, I just want to be sure.

20. Mark

Last Name:
    Hensley
    First Name:
    Mark
    I'll leave it and replace it with the new one as soon as I make it if that's ok.