DONATION STATUS
Needed before 2016-12-31
$ 2,500
So far donated
$ 755

Liebestraum

Discussion in 'Pianists' started by Natalie, Feb 23, 2011.

1. Natalie

Natalie New Member

I am going to be performing Liebestraum in a competition and need to tell the judge an interesting aspect. I'm pretty sure I'll say something about the melody but don't know exactly how. Any suggestions?
    I'm Natalie, by the way, and I'm new.
    Thanks! :D

2. musical-md

musical-md Active Member

Physician
    Last Name:
    del Rio
    First Name:
    Eddy
    Hi Natalie,
    Welcome. :) Assuming you are talking about the ever popular No. 3 in Ab Major, then
    Theoretically, I would speak to the tonal excursions that it takes and means of modulation to very remote keys (and back)
    Pianistically, I would speak to some of the significant voicing issues. For example, the first section has the melody having to be played alternatly by either hand (frequently thumbs). Also the 5th and 6th measures of the section "Piu animato, con passione" in B is most difficult to voice properly. In fact, this entire section upto "sempre stringendo" is rife with voicing difficulty in that a single-note melody must stand prominantly above a tumultuous sea of notes and activity below it. Additionally, there are excellent examples in this work of opportunities to "redistribute" resources for a more successfully artistic and technically economic approach. For example, the F melody note at top of bass staff in measure 10 I play with the RH, as I also do the G in Bass clef of m.16. That's enough "trade secrets" to get you going. Good luck with your performance of this very demanding piece to perform.

3. fluterific00

fluterific00 Member

Private Piano Teacher College Piano Teacher Accomp
    Home Page:
    http://www.partycreations.bravehost.com/seniorpianorecital.htm
    It depends on what you have to tell him about the piece, but you could perhaps include the story behind the piece and the poem's meaning. You could tell about what cartoons it's been used in and how it enhances the mood for the story. Here is an article where I got that idea from wikipedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liebesträume It's under popular culture.

All of this would of course be after the theoretical part of your interesting aspect. :)

Welcome to the society.