Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2017.

Liebermann Gargoyle #3

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by diminished2nd, Nov 15, 2009.

1. diminished2nd

diminished2nd New Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Kendrick
    First Name:
    Austin
    Did some recording today... this is Liebermann's 3rd Gargoyle. I've been working on it sort of since July or so, and it has REALLY grown on me. At first I could take it or leave it, but now it's one of my favourites to play. One thing is certain: the Gargoyles are definitely stamina pieces, and they're all harder than they sound :p

Liebermann - Gargoyles Op. 29, no. 3

2. Rachfan

Rachfan Active Member Piano Society Artist

Chief Operating Officer, retired
    Last Name:
    April
    First Name:
    David
    Hi diminished2nd,

What a beautiful piece! It's very effective indeed, and even has a canonic element approaching the end. My sense is that this is not just a decorative gargoyle on a roof, but one that doubles as a water spout as well. So it turns out then that this is actually a neo-impressionistic "water piece". Yes, I can tell it's quite difficult to play. You have a nice even articulation and touch, and there is much expression, lovely dynamic shadings, poignant nuances and turns of phrase in your playing too. Your rendition both sings and sparkles. I've concluded that Liebermann is one of the very few contemporary composers for piano here in the U.S. whose music I actually enjoy. This is a fine performance and recording of a very novel piece. Thanks for posting it!

David

3. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Yes, definitely a "water piece", reminiscent of Liszt's and and Ravel's Jeux d'Eau pieces. Indeed Liebermann is a major piano composer. Great performance ! Are you planning on the other ones as well ? I think they are even trickier than this one but that should not deter you by now.

4. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    I like Garygoyles - the music and the 'creatures'. I'd put them on my house if I could!

This sounds very nice, Austin. Very similar to the way my teacher recorded it. (he recorded all of them - you can see him playing them here:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/adjpiano#p/u/6/vn79Zi5yJKE)

This is on the site.

5. nathanscoleman

nathanscoleman New Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Coleman
    First Name:
    Nathan
    I just love this piece ... I can never decide if I like more the 3rd (which I choose to think of as the poor monsters enduring endless rain, sheeting over the stone) or the scary & ferocious 4th. I just love Liebermann. And this is a very good recording! Kudos!

6. diminished2nd

diminished2nd New Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Kendrick
    First Name:
    Austin
    aww thanks for all the nice comments guys!! I am planning on finishing the set at some point... maybe even later this year. I absolutely love what I've heard of Liebermann's music. I worked on the 4th a little bit, and it does seem to be quite a bit more challenging, especially in regards to stamina issues. this 3rd one though... when I first started working on it I thought "oh it's just going to be a little pattern in the middle with a melody on top that I'll have to voice the heck out of", but it turns out that on half of those melody notes, you have to actually JUMP to hit them, and then get back down to the swirling pattern in the middle quick enough to not "bump" any of the notes to make them stick out. it's certainly been a great exercise in practicing playing with the larger muscles completely relaxed :p

7. alf

alf Active Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Bertazzi
    First Name:
    Alfonso
    First of all, thank you for this Liebermann submission since I knew that composer only by name. It is a wonderful piece and played with a really GREAT control of dynamics and shades. Congratulations for that. Hope to listen more of Liebermann from you in the future.