Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2017.

Liadov Mazurka Op 57, No. 3

Discussion in 'Works in Progress' started by pianoman342, Jun 7, 2015.

1. pianoman342

pianoman342 Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Tucker
    First Name:
    Riley
    I have been practicing this piece and made a recording today. Really like this piece, even though it's small. Regarding the audio quality, sorry but I've done the horrible mistake of dropping my $100 recorder, it is now broken and needs to be replaced. So this is through my camera phone. This is a new sampler, though, so I hope you like it (you're hearing what is called the Eighty Eight Ensemble) it has a nice buzz sound when you release the keys, which is very much like what it sounds like when the felt part of the hammers on a real grand piano parts with the strings.

Chris, I have listened to your recording and I think I'm missing some notes around the poco piu mosso part. One thing I will criticize about your recording is I think you underplay the ritardando at bar 16. I think that should linger just a bit more. I realize I probably play the poco piu mosso too slow, but it just doesn't seem that a piece this small should be rushed... Then again, it cannot drag either, especially the eighth note melody in the main theme. There shouldn't be too much rubato which is what I have heard on some renditions on YouTube.

Anyways, here's my take, I hope you can enjoy:

https://youtu.be/N2K3AiLJDzk

2. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    You're doing a good job here Riley ! The piece may be short but it's by no means trivial, and a step up from things you have recorded so far, both technically and musically. It is a wonderful little piece of of music indeed, and the performance is solid and musical. The only criticism is that it sounds a bit "new", you're still
    somewhat feeling for the notes. Stick with this one, and it will be good. Perfecting even a short and relatively easy piece does wonders for you.

Yes you are right about the rit. at bar 16. I hardly observe it in my recording, allowing no more than my customary holding back at the end of a phrase or section.
    That could have been different. On the plus side, I'm playing this with considerably more freedom than I would have done when I first joined PS. Some people on YT indeed make a big meal of this one, pulling each bar apart with overblown rubato. Not my style either.

3. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    That was very nice, Riley! I don't know this one, but the tempo sounds fine and I think you have a good feel for the piece.

4. pianoman342

pianoman342 Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Tucker
    First Name:
    Riley
    Thanks for the feedback Chris and Monica. I think I could learn this better yet. I'll have to find the time to listen to both of your latest recordings. I definitely agree, mastering an easy piece is no small feat, though it might seem so to a very talented pianist. I do like to try harder material though. I mean to learn Evocation by Albeniz later this summer. Not an easy undertaking i realize, but as the bible says, where there is hope, there is courage!

5. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Wow, Evocacion, that is ambitious. It might be the 'easiest' of Iberia but still a very complicated and intense piece. The signature with 7 flats doesn't help. It is a grand goal to set yourself but if you really set your mind to it, anything is possible.