DONATION STATUS
Needed before 2016-12-31
$ 2,500
So far donated
$ 805

Liadov - 3 Mazurkas Op.3

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by techneut, Feb 24, 2013.

1. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Damn winter shows no signs of letting up yet... I'm itching to go and do jobs in the garden, shed, and around the house but it is just too bloody cold and it's been snowing yet again :roll: So I had to stay indoors today and do some recording. These 3 mazurkas from the 6 pieces Op.3 were composed on 1877. The first one is a re-recording (replacing one of the old recordings I deleted last year).

Liadov - Op. 3 - Six Morceaux - 4: Mazurka in G major (2:44)
    Liadov - Op. 3 - Six Morceaux - 5: Mazurka in B Major (2:33)
    Liadov - Op. 3 - Six Morceaux - 6: Mazurka in C major (1:32)

2. StuKautsch

StuKautsch Member Piano Society Artist

Software Developer
    Last Name:
    Kautsch
    First Name:
    Stewart
    New recordings! So things are looking up and this is a great sign of the end of our winter here at Piano Society (not at all to demean Monica who has continued to record).
    The G Major is very good and was certainly worth the effort to re-record. Sounds very mazurka-y. Sounds very Chopin-y, too. The next is also good, not quite as Chopin derivative.
    I think the rendition of #6 is not as "rumbustious" as it could be. (Sorry - I could not resist the temptation to use that word, which appears in the description of Liadov's Piano Pieces and which I'd never seen before today. But I'm not saying this just to use the word.)
    Very nice addition to our site.
    BTW: His dates are 1855-1914 (according to Wikipedia). Is it a lot of trouble to put that in his bio? You know, "Anatoly Liadov (1855-1914) was a ".

3. luissarro

luissarro New Member

Home Page:
    http://www.felipesarro.com
    hi, Chris!

these are nice performances, with a very firm rhythm, expected from Mazurkas.
    I'd say you're more comfortable with the style of these pieces rather than the other preludes.

4. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Thanks for the comments Stu.
    Yeah, a wonderful word and it nicely describes many of Liadov's mazurkas. No.6 feel I feel as more wistful and elegant, so less rumbustiousnes here (or should that be 'rumbust' ? ).

Good point ! No idea why I did not add the date when creating the page. It's done.

5. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    I definitely have a thing with rumbustious and rhythmical pieces. But I feel just as much for the preludes. Those are more difficult though, especially musically.

6. troglodyte

troglodyte Member Piano Society Artist

Professor
    Last Name:
    Parrow
    First Name:
    Joachim
    Yes, winter. Where I am we have been covered with snow and ice for months. I kind of like it except that it makes bicycling treacherous and the piano gets out of tune. Anyway, this evening I was a bit gloomy but was considerably cheered up by these Mazurkas. Especially the first two convey genuine joy. It is impossible not to feel good after listening, Great job! The middle part of the G major sounds a bit like Grieg trying to imitate Chopin. I never heard these before so cannot comment on details. Thanks for cheering me up!

7. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Always good to cheer someone up :) These are good fun indeed.
    I can imagine a real winter in the north has its charms. Here it is just dark, dreary, cold, windy, and slushy when the snow is slowly melting, causing the usual leaking in my music room (this is scheduled to be repaired in some weeks, I hope they do a good job).

8. pianoman342

pianoman342 Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Tucker
    First Name:
    Riley
    Hi Chris,

Had a listen to your recordings of these three Mazurkas. I have to say I didn't have high expectations for the pieces since Stu said this was not as superior to the Liadov Op. 46, but there is considerable jovialness in these performances, as has already been said. It's a nice change from the soulful but melancholy Op. 57, no.3 :) Nice job.