Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2017.

Liadoff, four Preludes, Opp. 33/1, 36/3, 39/2 and 46/4

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by Rachfan, Jun 5, 2011.

1. 88man

88man Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Vosgerichian
    First Name:
    George
    Very well played, David! Although a few Preludes seem less complete than the Preludes of his other Russian counterparts. Have you also played the Preludes of Kabalevsky or Scriabin as well?... I wish I had the time to finish them as a complete set. You played played this suite of Preludes with sensitivity and understanding...

Any maritime voyages this summer?... I am sailing to Nantucket next week from Hyannis with two other friends, barring any storm(s) this time. :p

George

2. Rachfan

Rachfan Active Member Piano Society Artist

Chief Operating Officer, retired
    Last Name:
    April
    First Name:
    David
    Hi George,

Thanks for listening to these Liadoff pieces and the nice compliment. Actually he wrote 30 preludes, some in sets and others as standalones. So it's not an insubstantial output by any measure, as there are plenty to choose from there. I currently have four more of these in the works.

I've never touched Kabalevsky's stuff. I have played through some of Scriabin's preludes, but never invested time in preparing them for recordings. I did record his Poeme Op. 32 No. 2. It's funny because some people love his Chopinesque early period works, while others much prefer his mystical music from the late period. I actually like the middle period best! So in the future I'll probably be recording some of that music. I've got ducks lined up next to my piano, so I'm never at a loss of the next recording project!

Have a great time out on Nantucket. Last time I was there was around 1970. We departed from Woods Hole on the Nobska, a vernerable old steamer ferry built at Bath Iron Works in 1925. On the voyage we passed the Nantucket Light Ship, also built by BIW. I put my car on the ferry, so we got around to see all the sights between ferry runs. The town there is really neat.

My wife and I will be on a couple of ferry trips this season, the one out to Swans Island first. Then later on we'll go out to Monhegan Island. We might make it out to North Haven Island as well. It has a charming harbor.

David

3. 88man

88man Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Vosgerichian
    First Name:
    George
    "Bath built is best built!" Bath Ironworks is one of the best in the whole country. I love Cape Cod history! The Nobska was before my time, but I've heard about The Friends of Nobska who tried to raise funds to restore the ferry ship after 1975. I know that it lied in dry dock at the Charlestown Navy Yard for 10 years becuase they finally needed the slip for the USS Constitution and USS Cassin Young. Despite efforts, the Steamship Authority scrapped the Nobska about 5 years ago -- Ode to Nobska! :( However, the Steamship Authority installed the Nobska whistle on the Eagle, BUT they replaced the horn with air power, which doesn't sound anything like the steam powered version. I don't know what they did with the steam engine. I think the Nobska was the last surviving American steamship... You rode it in just the nick of time!

Oh, well, it's going to rain tomorrow morning for my sailing trip. Let's hope the waves aren't too high in Nantucket Sound!

4. Rachfan

Last Name:
    April
    First Name:
    David
    Hi George,

The Nobska was an elegant ferry. They don't make them like that anymore! Too bad the preservation group couldn't save it. And yes, Bath Iron Works rules. It fiercely competes with the Ingalls Shipyard in Mississippi for navy business. Hopefully it can survive into the future. Another great ferry I took with my wife was the MV Bluenose, built in 1955 and operated by the Canadian National Railroad from Bar Harbor, ME to Yarmouth, NS. We put the car aboard and toured most of Nova Scotia in 1969. The crossing took about 6 or 7 hours as I recall, and it was great! The ferry had a crew of 91. The Bluenose was replaced in 2006 by The Cat, docked in Portland, a huge high-speed catamaran ferry. It lost its Canadian subsidy about three years ago and went bust. Now there's no ferry service. :( I say bring back the Bluenose!!

Bon Voyage on your sail to Nantucket. We'll try to keep the waves no more than 2 feet for you. Have a good time!

David

5. musicusblau

musicusblau Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

High-school-teacher with subjects music and german
    Last Name:
    Pfaul
    First Name:
    Andreas
    Dear David,
    that´s a marvellous performance your great experience and expression can be felt thoroughly! I have listened to all four pieces with great pleasure and interest. I also could follow with score except of op. 33 I couldn´t find it. You play all very exactly and musically, so that is a performance of an excellent standard (as we are used by you).
    Continue, please, to record such nice gems for us!

6. Rachfan

Last Name:
    April
    First Name:
    David
    Hi Andreas,

I'm so glad you enjoyed these pieces, and thanks for that nice compliment on my playing! Liadoff wrote 30 preludes, and I had only a passing acquaintance with a very few of them, so did not know exactly what to expect. Once I got into practicing them I was pleasantly surprised. These pieces are very brief, but are gems as you say. He wrote many in fast tempos as well, but I gravitated more to the lyrical preludes knowing that I'd enjoy them the most. I'm currently working on four more and hope to record them in July once the piano is tuned. So yes, more to come. :)

David