Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2017.

Lecuona: Gitanerias, El Baile de la Muneca

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by John Robson, Dec 12, 2008.

1. John Robson

John Robson New Member Piano Society Artist

Retired
    Last Name:
    Robson
    First Name:
    John
    Ernesto Lecuona: El Baile de la Muneca (Puppets Dance) from Diary of a Child

2. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    I don't remember your previous Gitanerias (there is none on the site !?). This one is pretty fast indeed but, I must say, not especially clean. The RH gets mostly drowned by the LH, drawing more attention to the slips in the LH. I'd take it a mite more relaxed and playful. Your 'but ...' indicates you are not sure of it yourself. Do you want this to go on the site ?

I like the puppet dance better, partly because it's new to me, but mostly because is performed with lots more affection (which I miss in the Gitanerias). A cute piece, well played and probably much harder than it sounds with its chord and double notes.

3. John Robson

Retired
    Last Name:
    Robson
    First Name:
    John
    Gitanerias

No. This is the only Gitanerias on the site. I played this version yesterday and meant to clean it up more this morning, but (....) I couldn't get it the way I wanted it. I listened to Tirino, who has recorded Lecuona's complete works, and he plays it much faster. I know, he's a concert pianist and I'm an amateur. However, I believe I can get it cleaner at least at this speed on a better day. So it's fine with me if you don't place this version on the site.

As far as playing this with affection, I feel that it should just be wild and free sort of like I played it. Of course, I didn't mean to be so wild that I made mistakes. Anyhow, thanks for listening.

4. felipesarro

felipesarro New Member

System Analyst, for now
    Robson...

in fact, I knew only Lecuona's Malagueña until now (and it's a piece I don't like, I must say. I was obliged to play that in the Conservatory, against my will, hehe.)

but, in my opinion, you play the Ginasteras REALLY REALLY well. you play it better than the Pupets Dance, believe it or not.
    I do not have the score, but I can "guess" there is no reason for being faster than this. There are pianists who really exaggerate in their tempi. I may be wrong, but I think you should not mind with this. You performance is full of ferve, with good accents. Indeed, it's an impulsive and wild performance. And you made me like this piece (it sounds much nicer and more attractive than the Malagueña, in my opinion. hehehe).

PS: just an example of how exaggerately fast some professional pianists can play... take Chopin's Tarantella. it doesn't sound as a typical Italian tarantella (remember Gnamo, Gnamo! Funiculi funiculà!) because of the stupidely fast tempo.
    In my opinion, your performance of Ginastera sounds very "Spanish". (can I say that? I know he was Cuban, but he travelled to Spain... and these are "close cultures", any way. both speak Spanish. hahahaha)

I vote this for going up to the site. hehehe
    (if my opinion means something... hehehe)

5. Syeles

Syeles New Member

retired
    Robson,

Thanks for these. Lecuona is one of my favorites.

I had not heard Gitanerias before. Impressive perforance, but I have no comparisons to make. All I can say is that I enjoyed your intesity on this. If anything I might suggest a little more dynamic variation for impact, but it's fine as is too.

The Puppet's Dance is also a delightful piece and performance. Here I was able to compare you with a recording by Thomas Tirino. Similarly, to my earlier comments, Tirino's dynamics are much more varied. He starts off ever so delicately. His tempo is a little faster to begin with, but your tempo is fine. When he gets to the middle, the waltz briefly runs away with Vienese abandon both in tempo and volume. Then he finishes very softly and contently. Just a great example. You accomplish much of this. Tirino just gives it more emphatic contrast.

Regards,
    Albert

6. John Robson

Retired
    Last Name:
    Robson
    First Name:
    John
    Lecuona

Thanks, Albert. I agree with you. I have heard Tirino's version. Lecuona is his specialty and he has recorded all of his works. I attended Tirino's recital at the Gusman Concert Hall at the University of Miami a few years ago and was impressed. When and if I re-do the Gitanerias, I intend to play with more dynamic variation. However, I still will insist upon intensity and speed. Otherwise, it is just a simple, almost meaningless piece.

I have a tendency to post pieces in the Audition Room before I've learned them as well as I should. The "Puppet" piece is a perfect example of that. I'd only played through it a few times before I recorded it. It definitely deserves more attention than I gave it. I wish I had played the Viennese style waltz part with more abandon and played with more dynamics, especially pianissimos.

7. Syeles

Syeles New Member

retired
    Re: Lecuona

I too saw Tirino in concert several years ago - in DC at the Cuban "Consulate" - and was blown away. He is as amazing as Lecuona is beautiful. A lofty example to strive to emulate.
    Please let me know as you post or release new recordings in this vein. My email is below.
    Regards,
    Albert

8. Rachfan

Rachfan Active Member Piano Society Artist

Chief Operating Officer, retired
    Last Name:
    April
    First Name:
    David
    Hi John,

Like some other folks here, my only Lecuona repertoire was "Malaguena"; but it turned out to be a double dose. When I was young, I learned and performed the piano solo. But years later I was called upon to play a piano arrangement written as the accompaniment to the choral version. In the latter, the piece was transposed from C#, which lay easily under the hands, down to C, which produced downright discomfort in places! It went exceptionally well though.

I had never before heard the two pieces you present here, but found them to be delightful. I greatly enjoyed your playing, and could tell that you have an affinity for this music, as you play it so well. Good work!

David