Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2017.

Lang Lang

Discussion in 'Pianists' started by PJF, Oct 12, 2006.

1. lol_nl

lol_nl New Member

I agree. Lang Lang is a perfect way to bring over classical music to the youth (to the people of my age lets say 8) :lol: ). They are seriously not interested if they see an old guy like Brendel playing there or Pollini with his strange face. Lang Lang will make them laugh and that's all they need 8).

2. PJF

PJF New Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Fournet
    First Name:
    Pierre
    I nearly fell out of my chair laughing. Sometimes, he (Pollini) screws up his upper lip and nose as though he's trying to ignore something smelly. :lol:

(I digress.)

Pete

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

4. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    I would agree with the latter assessment. But that this makes LL "simply worthless" is a bit of a sweeping statement to put it mildly. Better perhaps would be to say that some of his performances are simply worthless.

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I guess you're right.

but a blatantly clear example of him playing for the camera was that at a certain concert (mostly mozart?) the camerapeople had been careful of not letting Lang Lang know that cameras are broadcasting his performance on TV. But right in the middle of the piece, he visibly changed his attitude when it seemed as though he caught sight of a camera. He played a lot more excitedly and exuberantly.

Infallible evidence of a showman.

6. PJF

PJF New Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Fournet
    First Name:
    Pierre
    LL isn't worthless, he's just highly prone to fits of histrionics. Unpredictable might be the word. YL is much more stable and generally more agreeable than LL, IMO.

PF

7. lol_nl

lol_nl New Member

I know a guy who had to laugh when he went to a concert of Lang Lang in Amsterdam. He had to laugh very loud four times and the people all watched him, lol. He just couldn't bear it anymore... He didn't know why he laughed, but mainly because of the way Lang Lang plays. He said the only "normally" played piece was Mozart's K. 330. The rest was hilarious.

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Lang Lang is an excellent pianist, but this piece is bloody awful. Not one of Lizst's better moments! Empty virtuosity is all it displays, to be honest.

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I can't get over the intense criticism of Lang-Lang. Myself, i only began to appreciate classical music about a year or so ago and i can tell you that the performance aspect of his playing is very entertaining, despite the complaints of all the 'traditional' pianists. You see, i find most pianists who have lang-lang's ability extremely boring to watch, with little personality playing only the 'accepted' interpretation or something very close, without actually feeling the music. The problem with classical music is that too many traditionalist demand that an interpreter should obey the composers exact desires, and not make the piece their own-at the very least i find it near impossible to really feel the music when following the music with tempo changes kept to a minimal for example. I'm not saying Lang lang is the most brilliant pianist, but i am saying most of the comments against him appear to be either jealous, or by people who can't recognize a nice interpretation. For example i think Lang Lang's interpretation of Nocturne 27 no .2 is far better than Pollini's yet he is criticized (see youtube) Anyway, i believe the tradtionalists are killing classical music, because it cannot advance, nor entertain anyone, if a pianist playing Polonaise Op. 53 looks as stone cold dead as chopin himself. Even if it is an act by Lang Lang (in some cases is true, but not all) he is entertaining-i'm just concerned because i love classical music and i fear it will fade away.

10. rachmaninoff

rachmaninoff New Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Poortinga
    First Name:
    Robert
    As I said already I don't like him. He just changes the pieces so it looks faster and sometimes he makes it easier. But I think classical music needs this kind of people because most people like him and his playing. he is promoting classical music very much.

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Iron hands and child's brain (not prodigy-child, stupid child). Unbearable.
    A joint-venture of industry and stupidity.

Sandro Bisotti.

12. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Unbearable he can be... and childlike he can act. But make no mistake, there is an extremely
    accomplished, well-trained, and sensitive musician underneath all that, as well as considerable intelligence. Just acting like a clown on occasion does not make him stupid.

That reminds me Sandro, you still have not provided me your bio and photograph for the site.

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

>... and childlike he can act.

Or be.

> But make no mistake,

To play in this manner is IMHO a mistake. Music is also a sport, but he plays as music is only a sport.

>Just acting like a clown on occasion does not make him stupid.

The problem is that his playing has perfect relation with his acting. They are the same.
    The music is so strong to save herself, the image of pianism (and of chinese and oriental pianism
    which has many very good pianists) as poetic research is IMHO offended.

> That reminds me Sandro, you still have not provided me your bio and photograph for the site

Thank you.
    I've sent bio, and I'll re-send within tomorrow. For the photo I 'll send in a second time
    (I've not my recent photos, but I'll remedy).

All best,
    Sandro.

14. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Sorry, but I don't know what all the fuss is about regarding Lang Lang. I wish I could play half as good as he. Who cares if he moves around a lot. If I can get over Kissin's hair, then I can get over Lang's moves.

You're talking to fancy for me, here. :) I don't really get what you're saying.

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

You're talking to fancy for me, here. :) I don't really get what you're saying.[/quote]

What I've written. I consider him more a sport-man (a recorman of notes per second, may be. At the end of his Liszt-DonJuan he seems to have obtained the record) or a blacksmith than an artist. Infantilism and industry, not a trace of piano poetry. I repeat, for my taste unbearable.
    But perfectly logic by a commercial point of view, and then I find his success normal.
    By a musical point of view, I've heard on this site (and out of it) tons of interpretations much more fascinating and convincing than LangLang's.
    For make two examples, do you really think that the chinese blacksmith can play Chopin near at
    the level of Setrakian, or Carnevale (beautiful, IMHO, his Mazurka 17-4)?
    I'm sure of no.

All best,
    Sandro.

16. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    My dear Sandro Bisotti,
    Yes, there are fantastic pianists on the site, but remember that Lang Lang is still very young, only 24 or 25 years old, I believe. He's not my favorite pianist, either, but I feel he truly lives and breathes music and will no doubt improve as he goes along. And I hope he never looses the enthusiasm he exudes when he plays. Watching him is more fun than someone who sits there like a zombie. As far a listening goes - you have me beat, there, as I don’t have time to listen to 2,000 cd’s and compare all the players. I do appreciate your opinions along that line even though it is a bit overwhelming.

don't agree with you.

Yes, I think he can do anything he wants to.

I don’t think the classical music world is desperate enough to elevate some “Chinese blacksmith” into stardom when there are a thousand really good players in the world. Even in the town where I live there are at least a dozen. I just came home from a concert and the players were as good as any I have heard. So to make it into the ‘big time’ is a great accomplishment and Lang Lang must be doing something right, besides being a good showman.

We all have our opinions and you have very strong ones. That’s fine, that’s what this forum is for. And I hope you're not too upset with me right now, (are you waving your hands in the air and mumbling obscenities? I married an Italian, so I know. :) )

17. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Maybe Lang Lang holds the record for the most notes per second, and for the most vulgar rendition of the Liszt 2nd rhapsody. So what, others have been there before him (think Cziffra...)

For a well-formed opinion of Lang-Lang one should hear his recent recording of Chinese music. Not only is this a self-effacing and enterprising thing to do, flying in the face of commercial considerations, but here you hear exquisite, musical and poetic playing, shorn of any show effects - never mind whether you like that music or not. I guess he could be one of the greatest Debussy interpreters if he set his mind to it. There is far more to this kid than meets the casual eye.

18. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Yes, I listened to it too. It's beautiful music.

19. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

20. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

><For a well-formed opinion of Lang-Lang one should hear his recent recording of Chinese music. Not only is this a self-effacing and enterprising thing to do, flying in the face of commercial considerations, but here you hear exquisite, musical and poetic playing, shorn of any show effects -

Very interesting. Thank you for the suggestion.

Sandro.