Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2017.

Kosenko: Poem Legend, Op. 12, No. 1

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by Rachfan, Feb 16, 2016.

1. Rachfan

Rachfan Active Member Piano Society Artist

Chief Operating Officer, retired
    Last Name:
    April
    First Name:
    David
    Viktor Kosenko (1896-1938) was a Ukrainian composer, but also a virtuoso pianist and piano pedagogue. In his earlier years his principal influences were Tchaikovsky, Rachmaninoff, Scriabin and Lysenco. A graduate of the Warsaw Conservatory, he studied piano with Aleksander Michalowski and Iryna Miklashovskaya, and composition and music theory with Mikhail Sokolovsky. Kosenko composed about 250 works in all—about 100 of those for solo piano--and the other works being orchestral works, concertos, chamber music, chorus works, and songs. During his short life, Kosenko also held important positions in academia, music circles, and was often a juror at important piano competitions.

I hope you'll enjoy hearing this piece.
    Comments welcome.

Piano: Baldwin Model L Artist Grand (6’3”) with lid fully raised.
    Recorder: Roland R-44
    Mics: Matched pair of Earthworks TC-20 small diaphragm, omni-directional condenser mics in A-B configuration

Attached Files:

2. troglodyte

troglodyte Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Professor
    Last Name:
    Parrow
    First Name:
    Joachim
    I enjoyed it! Thanks for posting. Well played with consistent and convincing expression.

3. Rachfan

Last Name:
    April
    First Name:
    David
    Hi troglodyte,

Thank you for listening to my latest recording. I very much appreciate your compliment on my playing! When playing a character piece, I do everything I can to put the music across to the listeners.

David

4. musicusblau

musicusblau Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

High-school-teacher with subjects music and german
    Last Name:
    Pfaul
    First Name:
    Andreas
    Hi David,
    this is an excellent performance, full of musicality and expression as we are used from you! I have enjoyed it a lot.
    While listening carefully with score I observed the following:
    Always when there is the prescription "agitato" in the score you do an accelerando. I´m not sure, if that is the composers intention. Agitato usually doesn´t mean a "step by step increasement" of the tempo, I think.
    The ff and fff places could be played a bit stronger and louder from my view.
    But these are really minor things considering this overall beautiful, congenial and expressive performance!

I have put this up to the various-section to your other recordings of pieces by Kosenko. Please, check the link!
    I also have changed the file-name, which should be "kosenko-12-1-april" (review the rules for file-names, please), and I have reuploaded the file with the correct file-name. The tags were o.k.

I think, we should create a Kosenko main node tree in the composer section, since you already have recorded three pieces by Kosenko. What do you think? Will you record also the number two of the poem legends? Could you write a biography for Viktor Kosenko and upload it here, please? I will put it then to the Kosenko-page, which I will create. (I could also take your short introduction you have posted at the beginning of your thread, of course, but a more detailed biography would be better, if it would be possible for you.)

With best regards
    Andreas

Last edited: Feb 18, 2016
  5. andrew

andrew Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist

Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Wright
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Youtube:
    alkanliszt
    Very enjoyable performance of this hyper-romantic character piece. You give it an appropriate level of expressive space and breadth.

6. Rachfan

Last Name:
    April
    First Name:
    David

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for taking time to hear Kosenko's "Poem Legend" and for your kind compliments! This character piece was demanding at times, but I gave it my best efforts.

David

7. Rachfan

Last Name:
    April
    First Name:
    David

8. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Hi David,
    Sorry I have been amiss regarding responding to your messages and listening to recordings. As I’ve told Andreas and Francois, I have not felt like doing much with my piano these days…playing or listening, but I’m going to try to fix that. This piece is very lush and romantic. Perfect for you! I liked it a lot and think you played it very well!!

9. Rachfan

Last Name:
    April
    First Name:
    David
    Hi Andreas,

I'm glad you enjoyed this music of Kosenko. Thanks!

When I first looked at the score for the Poem Legend, the "agitato" caught my eye and I pondered it wondering if it would be a "trip wire". I needed to assure myself this would be a doable piece to play, but I was hung up at first with the agitatos. I first consulted Elson's pocket Music Dictionary (Oliver Ditson Company), which has served piano students and performers since 1909 to our day. That source is my favorite. There the meaning is "agitated, hurried, restless".

Just now I looked at the Harvard Dictionary of Music (Willi Apel, 1982), giving only "excited". Then there is Alfred's Pocket Dictionary of Music (1995) which defined agitato as "harried, excited". Finally there is The Pianist's Dictionary by Maurice Hinson, (2004) describing "agitato as "excited, agitated, hurriedly, and at a slightly faster tempo". Three of the four sources mentioned "hurried", "harried," harriedly" and one adding at a "slightly faster tempo". So I feel comfortable with the choice I made for the rendering.

Anyway I'm glad though that you enjoyed my playing of this music. Thank you so much too for your praise. Kosenko does not leave things easy for long.

I'll take the background information I used for the "liner notes" and build more of a biography. Yes, where I've put three of his compositions up, he's earned the recognition.

I'll examine the Legend No. 2. I'm working on another composer's piece now, but am making good progress on it. I'll let you know.

Believe it or not I'm very good at the naming and I even keep a screen shot here for reference. Anyway here is what happened. When I record, the Roland-44 assigns a very long numeral name to the outtake. I send that to AVS to do the mp3 format. I go to rename it (using our system here) and then import the file to the left side where naming belongs. But... as soon as I start filling in the tags over on the right side, the left side then blacks out! Luckily AVS saves the mp3 documents and I was able to send that back to my documents. There I try to change the name to replace the original long numeral designation while getting a warning that it might not be recognized. I think the answer to this might be to do the naming process with the numerals, then send it to AVS for mp3 conversion, and sending it back to me. I then would change the name and use it to put the music file up at PS. What used to work easily with the old Korg-1000 is more difficult now on the Rolland -44.

David

10. musicusblau

Last Name:
    Pfaul
    First Name:
    Andreas
    Hi David,
    I see you have made a lot of detailed thoughts and efforts. You have convinced me concerning your reading of "agitato".
    I'm awaiting your biography of Kosenko curiously. As soon you have posted it here I will create a Kosenko page and copy it over.
    Best regards
    Andreas

11. Rachfan

Last Name:
    April
    First Name:
    David
    Hi Andreas

I recall when Chris was here that he wanted the write-ups for composers to be kept reasonably short. The Wikipedia article for Kosenko is huge. In addition to the facts that I gave in my introductions for composers, are there particular topics that you would want to sufficiently address? It might be helpful if we could come up with a fairly standard size and layout for the basic topics and information.

Thanks.

David

12. Rachfan

Last Name:
    April
    First Name:
    David

13. Rachfan

Last Name:
    April
    First Name:
    David
    Hi Andreas,

Please review the revised Kosenko bio below to see if it will be adequate:

Best regards,

David

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 23, 2016
  14. musicusblau

Last Name:
    Pfaul
    First Name:
    Andreas
    Hi David,
    yes, that's very adequate, Ithink. I will arrange the new Kosenko page as soon as possible. Thank you very much for your support and efforts.
    With best regards
    Andreas

15. Francois de Larrard

Francois de Larrard Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Researcher
    Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Larrard
    First Name:
    Francois de
    Hello David,
    Beautiful music (some flavours of Scriabine, but also Fauré). Your playing is very expressive. Congratulations !

16. Rachfan

Last Name:
    April
    First Name:
    David
    Hi Andreas,

I'm glad I could better illuminate the "agitato" question. I believe, that when we discuss music terms, we all learn something.

Also, I'm delighted that the more complete bio of Kosenko is acceptable. Thanks!

David

17. Rachfan

Last Name:
    April
    First Name:
    David
    Thanks Francois for that fine compliment on my playing of this Kosenko piece. I greatly appreciate that!

David

18. Rachfan

Last Name:
    April
    First Name:
    David
    Hi Andreas,

You had asked me to check the link. (I believe you mean the one connecting the Artist list of recordings to the Submissions Page listing.) I just now went to my Artist Page, but only the two earlier Kosenko pieces are showing there.

P.S. I saw your link to your YouTube. Looked great! I maintain a two-page presence there, audios only. I now have 43 recordings there, meaning I just ran out of space. I sent a feedback message to the management there, but I did not receive a response from them. I guess what I'll have to do there will be to delete a recording to make room for a newer one. Maybe I'll delete the ones with the lower number of plays or views.

David

19. Rachfan

Last Name:
    April
    First Name:
    David

Last edited: Feb 24, 2016
  20. Rachfan

Last Name:
    April
    First Name:
    David
    Hi Monica,

Thank you for your kind words on my playing and my rendition of this wonderful piece by Kosenko. I appreciate it! I hope too that you can get back on track with your recordings. You always find wonderful pieces to study and play. Looking forward to it.

David