DONATION STATUS
Needed before 2016-12-31
$ 2,500
So far donated
$ 860

Keyboard's humidity

Discussion in 'The Piano' started by EmperorCQX, Apr 18, 2012.

1. EmperorCQX

EmperorCQX New Member

Good day,

I have an enquiry regarding my piano's keyboard. I stay in a high rise building (the 9th floor) and from my surronding enviroment, it is always hot. It is Singapore that i reside, its 365 days filled with summer coupled up with warm humids all year round.

So here is my problem - recently my piano's keyboard felt very strange. I lost total control of the keys as it is really hard to produce a nice sound, and sometimes i can see my hands shaked by the keys itself!

Any good advice or suggestions?

P.S - my piano is a Hailun grand 178 model.

2. andrew

andrew Member Piano Society Artist

Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Wright
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Youtube:
    alkanliszt
    If there is a lot of humidity around, it's possible there is moisture in the hammers. I once played an outdoor concert prior to which the piano was left outside overnight in a waterproof cover. During the night there was a heavy rainstorm and in the morning there was condensation on the piano surface and the hammers were damp: the piano was almost unplayable and the action was very odd indeed. It did dry out and return to normality. I would suggest that you get a dehumidifier or dehumidifying crystals and put them near the piano to try and get the moisture out of the atmosphere. Be aware that some chemical desiccants may have (my chemistry is rusty, so I can't talk with authority about this) corrosive qualities and should not be touched.

3. EmperorCQX

EmperorCQX New Member

Ah, thank you very much! I will try this out today!

4. johnlewisgrant

johnlewisgrant New Member Piano Society Artist

Retired
    Last Name:
    Grant
    First Name:
    John
    You'll have to purchase either a dehumifier for the room the piano is in; or an air conditioner; or dampp chaser.

Best would be airconditioner, because dampp chaser for the piano does not protect the pinblock. If a dehumidifier, aim for 50 rh, in the higher range, because you're in a moist climate, and it will be cheaper to run the machine at the higher end of the RH range for pianos.

|JG

5. EmperorCQX

EmperorCQX New Member

Thank you for all the advice given. I believe the problem had been solve during the weekend. I guess its a case close, once again i thank the boeth of you :)!