Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2017.

Kabalevsky, Opus 88

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by nathanscoleman, Aug 29, 2008.

1. nathanscoleman

nathanscoleman New Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Coleman
    First Name:
    Nathan
    This is the Children's Dreams, Opus 88. I was looking for something easy I could record without too many retakes. You'll notice number 2 is missing; it has leaps over the hands I can't do right now without hurting too much ... I can do them slow, but then the cool effect is lost. So I'll have to get to this one after back is better. (see? I can't ever post without mentioning my disability ... I think whining is addictive ... "Hello. My name is Nathan. And I'm a whiner! :roll: :p )

Kabalevsky - Children's Dreams Op.88 - 1: Dreams ( 2:14 )
    Kabalevsky - Children's Dreams Op.88 - 3: Tale of an Old Organ Grinder ( 2:31 )
    Kabalevsky - Children's Dreams Op.88 - 4: Contrasts ( 1:38 )
    Kabalevsky - Children's Dreams Op.88 - 5: Curious Waltz ( 1:20 )
    Kabalevsky - Children's Dreams Op.88 - 6: Naughty Boys ( 1:05 )

2. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Nice pieces as usual with Kabalevsky. Well played though rather monochrome in dynamics, and I think you could have polished them a bit more. Not so many slips but still more than would be normal in such easy repertoire, especially in the Dreams and Naughty Boys. I will put them on the site later. When will you provide the no.2 ?

3. juufa72

juufa72 New Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Grocholski
    First Name:
    Julius
    naughty boys :lol:

4. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Nice playing, Nathan. I've never heard this set before, but I like them. No. 3 is my favorite.

Julius - you would like "Naughty Boys" because you are one. :p
    Actually, I take that back - all you boys are naughty. :lol: (especially you, Nathan!!!! :p )

5. Rachfan

Rachfan Active Member Piano Society Artist

Chief Operating Officer, retired
    Last Name:
    April
    First Name:
    David
    Hi Nathan,

I had never heard this Kabalevsky opus before. Of the lot, I liked No. 1, "Dreams", the best. I agree with Chris that if you could shade the dynamics more, it would make the performance even better. Sometimes though, flattened dynamics can be more due to the recording system than the pianist, for example, use of the "lo-cut" feature with close-in mic-ing, etc. Might that be the case here?

Also, I am curious as to what piano/model you play. It has a good full tone to it.

Hey, this could soon be your second CS!

David

P.S. You're titling is improving, but not quite there yet. I'll continue to work with you on it. :lol:

6. musicusblau

musicusblau Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

High-school-teacher with subjects music and german
    Last Name:
    Pfaul
    First Name:
    Andreas
    Hi Nathan,
    I´m sorry to say, that I have no score of these pieces, so I can´t give a detailed comment.
    You play these pieces very well, I think. They sounded musically played to me. My favorite is the "Dreams", too. I enjoyed your recordings very much. Thanks for sharing. Will you complete also this set?

7. nathanscoleman

nathanscoleman New Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Coleman
    First Name:
    Nathan
    Hehe, it's an electric ... I run Line In to the sound card and then lightly edit (small amt of resonance only) in Audacity. Thx for compliment tho!

Funny you guys all liked that one the best ... It was really one of my least favorites. I liked the Waltz I think. It's curious because it's in 2/4 then 3/4 time. Makes for a kindof lurch-y waltz, if you ask me!

Yeah, I really should've waited my pre-requisite three days ( 8) ) before posting! I knew my back was about to give and we had evacuees coming to stay for several days. Thankfully, most of gustav's fury was expended elsewhere. Speaking of: is Pete OK? Anyone hear anything from him??

8. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    He has my cell phone number to call me if his power goes out for a long time. Last message I got from him, though, was that he couldn't get a signal for his cell to work. But he assured me that his home will most likely hold up - only his power and things like that may be out for a while.