Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2017.

John Field: Nocturne No. 9 in E minor

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by MarkieUK, Aug 4, 2007.

1. MarkieUK

MarkieUK Member Piano Society Artist

Student
    Last Name:
    Hopwood
    First Name:
    Mark
    Hello everybody, this is my first posting on Piano Society.

I'm a big admirer of Field's nocturnes and am attaching one of my favourites that I recorded a while ago, No. 9 in E minor.

Hope it is OK.

Mark

Field - Nocturne No.9 in E minor

2. John Robson

John Robson New Member Piano Society Artist

Retired
    Last Name:
    Robson
    First Name:
    John
    Field

This also one of my favorites of Field's Nocturnes. You played it beautifully---sensitive and elegant. What kind of piano is that? Is it a digital?

3. MarkieUK

Student
    Last Name:
    Hopwood
    First Name:
    Mark

It's a Yamaha P120 digital piano recorded directly to hard disk.

4. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Hi,
    I like some of Fields nocturnes too. This one is nice. I'm not sure that last chromatic run fits well. Just my opinion, though, and not meant to take anything away from your delicate, soft playing. Well done.

5. juufa72

juufa72 New Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Grocholski
    First Name:
    Julius
    Well played, nice touch, excellent debut. Will you record all of Field's nocturnes :wink:

6. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    This is very nice indeed (even if I can't quite share the enthousiasm for Field's nocturnes).
    Played very calm and relaxed, and also delicate. elegant and sensitive as others said. I do not hear a problem with that chromatic run excepot perhaps it could have been a little more even.

Well done, a good debut. If you provide your details we will put this up the site.

7. MarkieUK

Student
    Last Name:
    Hopwood
    First Name:
    Mark
    Thanks for your all your replies and comments :)

Techneut, how do I go about providing my details?

Mark

8. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    You write something about yourself that you'd like to have as a biograph on your personal page. If you are unsure about it, look at some existing bios to get an idea. You can either post it on the forum or mail it to me (cbreemer@hotmail.com). A photo will be nice too but not mandatory.

9. MarkieUK

Student
    Last Name:
    Hopwood
    First Name:
    Mark
    Thanks. Here's a short blurb that I've written, hope's it OK (I'll sort out a photo and send that to you later):

"Mark Hopwood

Mark Hopwood is 31 years old has a degree in music from the University of Liverpool, England, as well as the Associate Diploma (A. T. C. L.) from Trinity College, London. He is particularly interested in the pre-Classical music of the mid-18th century and an advocate of the works of C. P. E. Bach, who he still believes to be undervalued. He also enjoys playing the sonatas of Haydn and some of the Field and Chopin nocturnes.

Mark lives in Chester, England and is hoping to do an M. A. with a thesis relating to C. P. E. Bach next year."

10. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Ok Mark, you are up the site. Welcome to Piano Society, please review your page on

http://server3.pianosociety.com/cms/index.php?section=1400

and check for errors. I have changed your bio to use absolute dates, as statements like '31 years old' and 'next year' will no longer be correct next year.

It will be nice to have some C.P.E. Bach on the site, as he was a seminal composer, and a good one in his own right. Just his bad luck to always get compared with his father.

11. MarkieUK

Student
    Last Name:
    Hopwood
    First Name:
    Mark
    Thanks. I have another Field Nocturne already recorded, but it is the B flat major one that you already have on the site, so not sure that I should submit it?

I have two other pieces almost ready to record, so hopefully get them done with the next few weeks. One is the first Prussian sonata by C. P. E. Bach, the other is Haydn's sonata Hob. 45 in E flat major.

12. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    By all means do. We like having multiple performances of the same works on the site.

13. MarkieUK

Student
    Last Name:
    Hopwood
    First Name:
    Mark
    Field Nocturne No. 15 in B Flat Major

OK, here's my version of the well-known B Flat Major nocturne. I really like this piece - a few small slips at the end though :|

Interestingly, every version of this that I've heard has been played "andante", and I think I prefer it at this speed. I've played it andante on this recording, although the version you have on the site is played more slowly (and marked "assai lento" on the corresponding piece of sheet music). Perhaps Field didn't indicate an original tempo marking?

Mark

Field - Nocturne no.15 in D minor

14. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    The version of this piece that is up on the site is from me. I remember when I recorded this - I played it at a faster tempo. But then recorded it again at a slower tempo, and that is the version that I kept. To each his/own, I guess, or we can say that my andante is just 'walking' slower than your andante. Anyway, a couple things I noticed: Your LH had a few slips in bars 8 and 26. Also, a few inaudible notes, which happens to me a lot, also. Especially on a piece like this where you want it soft but nice and steady. And I heard no dynamics. Granted, most of the piece is piano, but your pianissimo did not go softer, nor did you go up to forte (bar 21) or accent the rolled chords on the next measure. Maybe your digital piano cannot produce changes in dynamics well? Overall, even with the slips, I would say this was fine and you could keep it this way, but the very last measure was botched up pretty badly. Since the piece is only two pages, I would re-do the whole thing because of that.

15. MarkieUK

Student
    Last Name:
    Hopwood
    First Name:
    Mark
    Pianolady, you are entitled to your opinion: I don't think it's true that it has no dynamics at all, and I was quite pleased with the phrasing in it, which, after all is important in Field's music and lacking in the other nocturnes on this site. I agree that the final two bars have slips in and need to tidied up.

16. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    I agree with you, there certainly are dynamics even if they are not as pronounced as some people would prefer them. For a piece of modest scope and ambition like this, I think they are adequate. It is a shame about the several inaudible notes. I know well that problem.... Seems like the only solution is to work on a generally firmer touch, which will also make it easier to differentiate shades of piano. Nice job all the same, and don't feel obliged to re-record it unless you really want to.

17. MarkieUK

Student
    Last Name:
    Hopwood
    First Name:
    Mark
    It is hard to be more expressive on a digital piano - that's one of the drawbacks of them, I suppose. But I think in the context of Field's music this isn't a great problem, as it is relatively small scale. The phrasing is important, and it certainly shouldn't be played in a full-square sort of way.

18. Paul

Paul New Member

IT Project Manager (retired)
    I love the Field Nocturnes and I really enjoyed your performances - and I'm not just saying that because I live 30 miles down the road from you!! :)

19. MarkieUK

Student
    Last Name:
    Hopwood
    First Name:
    Mark
    Have you got a favourite Field nocturne, Paul? I think my favourite is No. 4 in A major.

20. Paul

Paul New Member

IT Project Manager (retired)
    Yes Mark, No.7 in C.

One reason for that (and how I discovered it in the first place) is that Malcolm Arnold used it as a basis for his Fantasy on a Theme of John Field for Piano and Orchestra - a magnificent piece.

Speaking of that composer - I am planning at some point to make my auditioning debut on this site with one or two of his early pieces for piano. My theory is that I am thinking the majority of this site's members won't be familiar with Arnold, let alone his music (hope I'm wrong), and given that my abilities are at the lower end of the spectrum (see my signature) there won't be anything to judge me against!

This thread has prompted me to listen to and copy off the score from Monica's performance of No. 5 and have a look at at it myself. If you can offer us a version of No. 7 I'd look forward to hearing it.

The recording I own of Field's Nocturnes is by Bart van Oort who plays an 1823 Broadwood. I usually prefer a modern piano sound but I have really come to enjoy this set.

Paul