DONATION STATUS
Needed before 2016-12-31
$ 2,500
So far donated
$ 860

John Field Nocturne No. 1 in E-flat Major

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by pianolady, Jan 10, 2007.

1. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
  2. juufa72

juufa72 New Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Grocholski
    First Name:
    Julius
    I'm not at work like you guys so I can listen to it now and be the first to comment! :lol:

First off: I think 5bpm faster would do the trick. This is a little slow for my taste. I suggested that you should goto Amazon.com and listen to the samples provided for the John O'Conor recordings of the Field nocturnes. I am not saying that you should play it like him, but instead just get the general idea since he plays them very well. Nevertheless I hear no obvious mistakes, and the tempo is clearly subjective. (Did Field provide a suggested tempo on your score? or just "adagio" or "lento"?)

-JG

3. johnmar78

johnmar78 New Member Piano Society Artist

Food chemist / pianist
    Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Mar
    First Name:
    John
    very good piano lady . I have saved it to my collection. you can see now, chopin is a copy cat :lol:

By the way, could you also supply the scores for us to use on the piano society. That scores are attached next to the recording.

Good work.

4. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Thanks for listening Juufa and John.
    Juufa, I did listen to J. O'Conor, whom I normally like, but I do not care for the tempo he plays this. To me, it sounds like he's on a race track. I prefer the tempo I played.

5. juufa72

Last Name:
    Grocholski
    First Name:
    Julius
    Nothing wrong with that!

6. MindenBlues

MindenBlues New Member Piano Society Artist

Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Schmidt
    First Name:
    Olaf
    I don't have the score (and by the way, I also don't like to listen with score, it distracts me a bit from the sound and feeling, because some attention is needed for reading the score), but it sounded like note perfect playing. All notes come out clear.

Now to the subjective part: I have the feeling that one could do a bit more regarding expression here (you do something, but just a little more). The composition itself sounds harmonically and melodywise pretty plain to me. So what to do? Maybe a faster (but nevertheless calm) playing would easen to perceive the melody line at a whole instead single long melody notes. Also the melody bows could come out stronger - with a softer LH accompaignment maybe? You could "sing" more, so to say. Just my subjective opinion, but we are here too to share not only objective things about recordings, but too how we personally feel about it, I think.

7. robert

robert New Member Piano Society Artist

Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Stahlbrand
    First Name:
    Robert
    You play it a bit like a lullaby and perhaps it is intended to be so (or that you intended your version to be one). I do not hear any technical mistakes and I liked listened to it. Perhaps the "ornaments" (appoggiaturas is perhaps the word) needs a little more practise to come out perfect.

Never mind the score as it must first has been published before 1937 to be in public domain before it can be scanned (unless we move the score to Canada where the laws says before 1957).

8. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Thank you for listening Robert and Olaf.
    Everytime I listen to this, I still like the tempo and feel that to play any faster would take me out of the 'zone'. We all have our own opinions and I very much like to hear yours. It definitely makes one think about the music and other possible ways to play it.

9. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    When I once tried this Nocturne I found it terribly trite and boring, and it sort of put me off playing Field. But I can honestly say that it is far nicer to listen to than to play, and I rather enjoyed it. Your playing is solid and reliable as always, sensitive without being sentimental (which is extremely important with Field, to avoid it sounding saccharine). I'll put this up some time later.

10. MindenBlues

Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Schmidt
    First Name:
    Olaf
    Could you please explain, why it is in your opinion extremely important with Field not to play it sentimental? Any problem with the mood of beeing sentimental itself or does it concern the interpretation especially of this Field Nocturne?

Regarding avoiding to let it sound like saccharine (I like your comparison with saccharine!), one should ask what the appropriate mood of the special piece is. From the harmony and melody this Field Nocturne comes very simple, if not to say trivial too me. Field was known to have had a marvelous soft touch (IIRC what contemporaries said in the Eigeldinger book). All in all isn't it a valid question: IS this Nocturne like saccharine both from composition and from what we know how the composer's playing was known for? So if it appears from the composition so, why not play it like saccharine, Clayderman like, sentimental? If not those kind of pieces, which classical piano pieces then to play like saccharine? None?

11. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Oh allright, IMHO instead of extremely. Hopefully I do not need to argue about an opinion :roll:

12. MindenBlues

Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Schmidt
    First Name:
    Olaf
    No need! But if you have arguments on what your opinion is based on, I would be interested to know them, I am so terrible snoopy :D

13. juufa72

Last Name:
    Grocholski
    First Name:
    Julius
    like the Spanish proverb goes, "Every man is a fool in some man's opinion" :lol: :wink:

14. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    It's up the site !

Oh yes Olaf, my opinions are not really based on anything particular. I just happen to have them, not sure why :wink:

15. PJF

PJF New Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Fournet
    First Name:
    Pierre
    I really liked that. I can always depend on you to relax me after a long day.

Pete