Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2017.

John Cage - In A Landscape (Live performance)

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by liszt1970, May 18, 2008.

1. liszt1970

liszt1970 New Member

Pianist / Teacher
    Home Page:
    I don't think the Piano Society has this one on its list of pieces yet. John Cage's "In A Landscape" is an extraordinary piece. This is a live recording from a performance in Chicago on a 6-foot Fazioli piano last year. It is extremely difficult to keep the soft dynamic in control for so long. The audience seemed in a trance, as was one of my goals. :wink: One can even hear the "El" train pass by on a few occasions. In my opinion, the sound of the train passing actually adds to the performance, if one takes into consideration some of John Cage's thoughts on what is music and what is actually part of the performance is not only what the performer is creating, but also all the extraneous sounds and noises occurring at the same time.

I would suggest when listening to this, close your eyes, rest your head, and let yourself be transported. Be sure to turn up your speakers. Don't worry, there are no loud surprises.

Comments welcome, as always.

Cage - In a Landscape

2. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    I probably should have waited until tonight to listen to this, as we are supposed to have some rain. That would make for great ambiance while listening to a piece like this. But I think you are right about the el-train enhancing the overall feel and tone. Almost like thunder rumbling in the distance. I really liked it!

This is the only time I have heard Cage, so I can't comment on your playing other than it sounded beautiful. I'll put it up later.

3. demonic_advent

demonic_advent New Member

Last Name:
    Mansi
    First Name:
    Chris
    Absolutely beautiful!

I don't know this piece terribly well... but I can certianly say that I want to become more familiar with it now!

This piece is absolutely SCREAMING with influences by Satie... this reminds me so much of the emotional output in the gymnopedies and gnossiennes, that I almost forget that I'm listening to Cage!

I wouldn't say that Cage is one of my favorite composers... some of his works just seem rather silly. Though, I do like that 4' 33'' one (or whatever the title of it is...).

This piece was very well played, from my perspective. It was a lovely chance for me to rest after having come home from 8 hours at work. This really relaxed me, and brought me into a peaceful mood. Thank you so much for sharing this!

4. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Ok, this is up, Alexander.

I thought we already had a page made for Cage, but we do not. I have put this in our 'various composers' category for now. If you have any information about this piece, I can make up a page for Cage and include your text.

5. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    That was really beautiful ! I have never taken Cage seriously, on account of that silly 4'33" (or whatever it's called). But this is wonderful music even though it runs the risk of getting boring after a while, if one does not have the required zen-like mindframe for it. Wonderfully performed too. It reminded me strongly, in the beginning, of the first of Tveitt's Hardanger Tunes.

We had someone (Anatone, I think) submit the Toy Piano Suite some time ago, but not sure what we did with that. Or if we even still have it ! I'd be in favour of a Cage page now, and have both these works up.

6. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Anatone requested that his Toy Piano Suite be removed from the site, so we just have this one Cage piece. However, I'm in favor of having a Cage page, also. This "In a Landscape" piece is so nice and totally changed my mind about Cage. I bet there are others out there who are curious about Cage and would read and listen to him if we had a page for him.

Alexander - we have a sort of 'informal' rule, here. When a member submits a recording of a significant piece of work by a composer that is not yet on the site, the member then also writes the biography of the composer. So...are you up for that? You are not obligated, but if you'd like to contribute, you can look at other biographies to see samples of what we like.

If you do not wish to do this, just let me know and we will get a biography of Cage another way.

7. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Oh, I must have missed that. Shame, as this is a curious work and it was a good performance.
    Why did he want that removed :?:

8. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
  9. juufa72

juufa72 New Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Grocholski
    First Name:
    Julius
    The last 3/4ths of the recording I heard, on a few ocassions, Chinese influences in melody. Though I could be the only one to interpret the recording that way. :?:

10. liszt1970

liszt1970 New Member

Pianist / Teacher
    Home Page:
    I think you might be on to something there. From what I recall, Cage was influenced quite a bit by Eastern Asian musics.

11. liszt1970

liszt1970 New Member

Pianist / Teacher
    Home Page:
    By the way, did you know that Cage wrote this piece in 1948 for either piano OR harp? Pretty cool, I think. And, it consists of only 8 different notes, if I remember correctly.