Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2017.

Jazz Improvisation

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by toki, Oct 5, 2008.

1. toki

toki New Member

Electrical Engineer
    Hi,

I realize the emphasis of this site is classical music, but I recorded this piece for a competition they were having at work and thought I might share it here as well. This is completely improvised on the spot, and aside from one little flub near the end, I'm pretty happy with it! (I can play like this for hours but it's not nearly as challenging or rewarding as playing classical music.)

Anyway, any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks.
    Tristan

2. Rachfan

Rachfan Active Member Piano Society Artist

Chief Operating Officer, retired
    Last Name:
    April
    First Name:
    David
    Hi toki,

This is a marvelous jazz improvisation, and I thoroughly enjoyed hearing it! In particularly I liked your beautiful modulations and ever shifting, kaleidoscopic harmonies. I wish I could do that!

3. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    It's been ages since you visited these premises Tristan. Welcome back.
    This is great stuff. Must be wonderful if you can play like this for hours !

We've always managed to hold off improvisations, but then again we never got 'em as good as this.
    I would not want to go as far as listing you as a composer, but IMO this certainly deserves a place on the site. I think this should be added to your page, linking directly to the mp3 instead of to a site page. Maybe some day we'll decide to do an 'Improvisations' page, but I feel we're not ready for that.

4. toki

toki New Member

Electrical Engineer
    Hi Rachfan, thanks for the comments. I don't know how I do this or how I learned, really. I guess years of being completely untaught forced me into learning how to play on my own. I'm suffering for that now, though -- there are a lot of things about the technique I developed that my teacher is trying to "fix" now. It's a slow process... :cry:

Chris, actually I didn't intend to submit this as a potential addition to the site, I just wanted to upload this to share with everyone else. It helps to get feedback when you're learning and I thought others would enjoy this as a break from the rest of the stuff that gets posted here.

Thanks again.

5. Rachfan

Rachfan Active Member Piano Society Artist

Chief Operating Officer, retired
    Last Name:
    April
    First Name:
    David
    All the more reason to post it in this site's archive. :)