Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2017.

Janacek piano music

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by Biggemski, May 8, 2009.

1. Biggemski

Biggemski New Member

Hi! These are some recordings made recently, from the reharsal preceding Janacek evening in Helsinki. Hope u enoy:)

Martin Pechacek,
    Brno
    Czech rep

2. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Please submit this as an .mp3.

3. Mr Duffy

Mr Duffy New Member

interesting and beautiful music i didn't know... and it's in 2/8!! the beginning reminds me of Sibelius' Finlandia. and expecially the last exposition (some 28 bars to the end, 4'06 in your recording) is quite similar to the Finlandia theme when it emerges after the Allegro part... around 5'10 in this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkhRCgeYhq4

bye and thanks for sharing! Mr Duffy

4. Biggemski

Biggemski New Member

to pianolady:

Hello, if you dont mind, I will post mp3 next week as I get the better net conncetion. I can not post 10 mb file now, its too large. Sorry for that.

to Mr Duffy: Thanks for comment, and thanks for mentioning Sibelius. Actually, I am writing an essay about similarities between Janacek and Sibelius. Its highly enoyable technique, such a musical developement to unknown ended with sudden primal theme statement, so exciting! I could make a recording of Martinu Dumka, which include this moment also.

all my best, MP

5. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Indeed that theme does resemble Finlandia a little bit, which had never occurred to me. But already during the first bar, the similarity ends. Could be interesting looking for links between Janacek and Sibelius, especially when you're playing Janacek in Helsinki :wink: Certainly the young Sibelius had something of the wild, uncouth ruggedness of Janacek. Even so, I don't find the two composers (or or their music) have very much in common.

Good performance of this piece, shame about the not too pleasing sound. A couple of little slips, and maybe the odd misreading, but nothing disturbing. I think the Presto sections are rather too slow and laid back. They should be more furious and menacing, IMO. But I know from experience they're very difficult so I don't blame you for taking it easy.