Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2017.

Is this possible?

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by pianolady, Feb 9, 2009.

1. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Forgot something -

About my Edirol settings: Do you think I should use a higher input volume number? I usually have it on a pretty low number, like 12 or 13, but I can do higher if you think that will eliminate the hiss. Or maybe it's the other way around and I should use a lower number?

2. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Forgot another thing...

I have saved version 6 and will put it on the site. Do you think I should wait until we are done with the Valse, though?

And now my husband is coming home, so I have to get off the computer because he always wants me to do things with him. But he has to go to bed early, so I can come back on after he's asleep to find out all the answers to my questions, here.

ta ta for now!

3. musicusblau

musicusblau Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

High-school-teacher with subjects music and german
    Last Name:
    Pfaul
    First Name:
    Andreas
    [​IMG]

[​IMG] (I have found one.[​IMG])

I´m glad, that you and Alfonso, both, liked the result of my editing-work. And I´m happy, if I see, that it means something for you. :D

4. musicusblau

Last Name:
    Pfaul
    First Name:
    Andreas
    Pianolady wrote:
    I think, the recording-level should be lower a bit.

5. musicusblau

Last Name:
    Pfaul
    First Name:
    Andreas
    Pianolady wrote:
    Well, you may decide, from my view it´s not necessary to wait for the Valse. What we have we have. :wink: But what about my idea to advertise it on the main-site as a "curiosum". People who want to buy it, do support pianosociety. No, is the recording not good enough?

6. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    I have been under the impression that I should use the highest number before it 'clips' out. Since I now place my Edirol pretty close to the strings, I use a low number. If I use an even lower number, won't you have to adjust the volume to bring me up and therefore that hiss would be created? Sorry, Andreas - I seem to be forever fiddling around with this volume thing. Maybe on our Valse I will record my part twice - once with the volume setting one way, and another version with a different setting. Then you can select whichever version makes the least amount of hiss.

I've already contacted Robert about this and I am awaiting his reply.

I'll put up the Romance in the Rachmaninoff pages tomorrow - along with a little summary about our collaboration.

7. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    The result is very nice indeed. A certain rigidity in tempo can't probably be avoided in a process like this. I'll be curious to hear how the Valse will come on.

I still wonder why I could not get my Bartok Mikrokosmos tracks to line up properly even though I surely played in time with what I heard. Maybe it's my wife's cheap mp3 player I used for playback. One should probably use WAV format here.

8. musicusblau

Last Name:
    Pfaul
    First Name:
    Andreas
    Alf wrote:
    Thank you very much for your help, Alfonso. :D

9. musicusblau

Last Name:
    Pfaul
    First Name:
    Andreas
    Pianolady:
    You have not to make so much work with this matter, if you don´t feel too much disturbed by the sound of your piano, which is a bit muffled, when I´m editing X-noise to it, it´s no problem. (But may be there is a damage to the built in mics of your Edirol. You have said, that you drop it onetimes. I just say this, because I haven´t this problem of hiss with the built-in mics of my Zoom H4.)

Pianolady wrote:
    I´m curious, I think, Chris has also to be asked, of course. My proposition is the following. Let´s take between 1 or 5 Dollars for the recording of the Romance and 1-5 Dollars for the Valse, if we will do this properly. We could make a link to the pay-pal-service or so. (Don´t know how to organize such things on internet exactly.)

Monica, if we decide to sell our recording, it should not be published for free on the main-site, isn´t it? The little summary about our collaboration is a very nice idea![​IMG]

I think, we have also to hear Alfonsos opinion about the advertising-matter!

10. musicusblau

Last Name:
    Pfaul
    First Name:
    Andreas
    Thank you for your encouraging words, Chris. Yes, as Alfonso still mentioned, there is a certain rigidity in it and it´s probably not to avoid. I think, with the Valse we could try to play without metronome (, though we should determine a certain metronome-number as a benchmark, so that we will not be too different).

Yes, you should only use wav-format for playback. Chris, your Edirol is a very good advice and I know you swear on it, but I have to say, that the 4-track-function of the Zoom H4 is ideally for such projects. You can listen to your own track while recording the new track. If you are satisfied with the result, you can cut it directly together. You can record two stereo-tracks or four mono-tracks. You also can use the track of two mixed stereo-tracks as a new single stereo-track and record a third stereo-track to it, then you can repeat the process as often as you want and so there is no limit of track-numbers.
    In your case I would recommend to use a disc-man for playback. You should burn the first track on a CD (in Wav 44, 1 Khz) and then use it as a playback with good headphones. So it should work better, I think.
    But I have to add, that I had to make more than 20 cuts to get our tracks as synchronized as possible. You only can do such editings with a program, with which you can edit Audio-montages.

Chris, what´s your opinion about the advertising-matter? (I have no problem, if you say honestly, that´s nonsense. I just would like to support this site with the idea.)

11. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    hmmm - I have dropped my Edirol many times! Never considered that I have damaged the mics. I still think it is that I have not yet figured out the best recording level, placement, etc...but I'll look in the manual and see if I'm missing something.

Robert is the one who handles the main page, and he has replied that I can put up something about our project on that page. But Andreas - I am not sure about selling this recording. You can buy a track off Itunes of .99 cents, so If we did sell our piece, we could not ask for more than that. But still, I really don't think anyone would buy it so I don't think it is worth the trouble. I'd rather just have it up on the site with some words about how we did all this. But I'm open-minded (and many times wrong) and if Alfonso thinks we should sell the piece, then so be it.

Also - I will show you and Alfonso what I write before I put it up. I have a few ideas and will need input as to which sounds best.

12. musicusblau

Last Name:
    Pfaul
    First Name:
    Andreas
    O.k., so Alfonso decides, if we sell it or not. But Monica, we don´t know, if no one would sell it, so we could try it and if you are right, we publish it for free. But I have to admit, I don´t know, how much is the work of the organization of selling.

13. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Whoa, I did not know that about the H4. An extremely useful function, this alone would be a reason to get one ! Thanks for mentioning that.

I had to fiddle similarly with my Mikrokosmos tracks in CoolEdit. Not the kind of thing I like doing.

I don't really have an opinion on this, not being involved with the financial side of PS. Robert should have his say about it. Certain recordings have a 'Buy this' button but I don't know if anybody ever did buy. For all the good hard work that's gone into this one, I do not believe the result to be so spectacular that many PS listeners will pay for it. Maybe it will make more people donate.

14. alf

alf Active Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Bertazzi
    First Name:
    Alfonso
    Well, I never thought that our little experiment would turn into a commercial project. For that matter, I don't consider what I do as a pianist as marketable, either, but of course I am open to any viable idea may fund PS. Therefore if anybody finds a way to make a few bucks out of our efforts, they are welcome.

15. alf

Last Name:
    Bertazzi
    First Name:
    Alfonso
    First of all, Chris and David, thank you also from my side.

Concerning the rigidity I strongly believe that, artistically, it is much worse than a slight lack of synchronization. If you listen to the Argerich and Co. version of the Romance on YT, you'll acknowledge that they are awfully out of sync and nevertheless their playing is excellent. On the other hand, the valse by its very nature can be played at a steadier pace.

16. musicusblau

Last Name:
    Pfaul
    First Name:
    Andreas
    Alf wrote:
    I agree to this at hundert percent, Alfonso.

Alf wrote:
    Yes, may be, but let´s try to play it more musically and expressively (also in the sense of less metronomical) than the Romance. Am I again the one, who has to record first?

17. alf

Last Name:
    Bertazzi
    First Name:
    Alfonso
    Yes, you're the one. :D

18. musicusblau

Last Name:
    Pfaul
    First Name:
    Andreas
    So, I´m the lucky one, that´s fabulous. [​IMG]
    I´ll start to practise on my part tomorrow.

19. musicusblau

Last Name:
    Pfaul
    First Name:
    Andreas
    Pianolady wrote:
    I wonder, why we hear this little backround-hiss only in the Audio-Montage and not in your Solo-recordings. I truely don´t know the reason. May be it has to do something with the different advices, with which we do our recordings, if we mix them together?

Pianolady wrote:
    Ah, I didn´t know, that Robert handles the main-page and the financial matters. It´s fine, that you can put up a little story about our common project. I´m very curious on it. And it´s o.k., if we don´t sell our recording. It was just an idea...

20. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Alfonso and Andreas - I am emailing you both a sample of what I've written for the site. I'm too embarrassed to put it up here or Everybody to read, because I have a tendency to go overboard sometimes. I'll be tweaking it so don't be worried when you read the first version.

p.s. I used your email address that is on your profile. Let me know if you haven't received anything from me.