Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2017.

Is this possible?

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by pianolady, Feb 9, 2009.

1. alf

alf Active Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Bertazzi
    First Name:
    Alfonso
    Indeed!

:lol:

Monica, I think that only numbers 2 and 4 are really important. Andreas could tweak the levels a bit to take care of it. A slight slow down in the second section is not bad and despite that our tempo remains overall consistent along the piece. Let's see Andreas' next version.

2. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
  3. musicusblau

musicusblau Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

High-school-teacher with subjects music and german
    Last Name:
    Pfaul
    First Name:
    Andreas
    This evening I have no time for editing. So, I fear you have to wait until tomorrow and to paw with your hoofs. :lol: But I´m confident, that I can realize all your wishes. I just need some time for it. So, be patient for a while, please.

4. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    ok :)

(deja vue)

5. musicusblau

Last Name:
    Pfaul
    First Name:
    Andreas
    Pianolady wrote:

:lol:

6. musicusblau

Last Name:
    Pfaul
    First Name:
    Andreas
    O.k., friends, I couldn´t wait until tomorrow somehow. This experiment is too interesting for me for to let you pawing with the hoofs :lol: . After having had a nice evening with my wife I decided to work on our work. (I stayed up until 12 midnight for this. :shock: 8) ) I think, I could realize all your wishes, except one point: I couldn´t improve my wrong tone in bar 12, the famous a natural. This is not possible, because I´m not able to find the exact same tempo. It seems to depend on a very fine agogic. If one can not find it, we are not anymore together. So I decided to let this mistake in. If you wouldn´t like the record because of this mistake, we would have to rerecord the entire piece, I think.

So, what do you think, Monica and Alfonso?

P.S.: I still didn´t work in the tempo-change from bar 33 on. This will take the computer over two hours to convert it, I suppose. I will post a version tomorrow with that tempo-change. May you still have some more suggestions to improve the recording.

7. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Oh, Andreas – it’s beautiful! :cry: :D After the rough day I had today, this is just what the doctor ordered. Wow – I am thrilled about this whole thing. We do not have to re-record!

If you are going to do more editing, there is a little editing clip at 1:28. And between 1:31 and 1:34 the background hiss comes in and out. I know this is our tricky transition bar, but can that be fixed? Also, you’ll be happy to know that I don’t think you need to increase the tempo on the following bars. Not sure if I’m just getting used to it, but this does not sound so bad to me anymore.

So…let’s see what Alfonso has to say. I’m just so happy. Thank you both so much for doing this with me! :D

8. musicusblau

Last Name:
    Pfaul
    First Name:
    Andreas
    I´m happy you like so much. :D
    I`ll make another try to rerecord bar 12 with the multi-track-function of my Zoom H4, that is to record while listening to you. Last time I have recorded this bar without listening to you both. May be so it will become better. Your other points I´ll also work in, Monica.

I thank you both, too, that we do it. It´s really a great pleasure to work with you both. :D

9. alf

Last Name:
    Bertazzi
    First Name:
    Alfonso
    A very good job Andreas and I'm satisfied with the outcome. Maybe my secondary part is a tad too exposed after all that level adsjusting, but it's not really important. Concerning the wrong note, I strongly suggest not to play along Monica's track, but instead along your own track. Following your own footprints, so to speak, should be sync-wise easier.

PS: Andreas, not sure what you mean with "pawing with the hoofs", I guess it is "chafing at the bit" (i.e. being impatient) isn't it?

10. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    I'm glad you said that, Alfonso. I thought the same thing but I was not sure if it was my speakers fault.
    Andreas - if you can tweak this, it's only from when Alfonso first comes in - until bar 29. After that the balance is fine.

"Pawing with the hoofs", "chafing at the bit" (we say "chomping at the bit") - anything that has to do with impatience is something I understand all too well. (character flaw)

So hurry up, Andreas! [​IMG]

:lol: :lol: (joking)

11. musicusblau

Last Name:
    Pfaul
    First Name:
    Andreas
    Hi my friends,
    o.k., I will reduce also the volume of Alfonsos part from his incoming up to bar 29, right?
    Where can I get these nice smilies, which you have there, Monica? They are really so funny.

I´m glad you like the result, too, Alfonso. :D I´ll follow your advice and record with my part.

BTW, what is that for a book, written by Raymond Smullyan, which is advertised on the main-site. Are we all in there?

12. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Hi Andreas,

I get them on a couple different sites:

1. http://www.mysmiley.net/

2. http://www.clipartof.com/new/emoticons/1

Here I am on my computer.

[​IMG]

About the book - Raymond put together and published a book about Piano Society. In it are the biographies of several Piano Society members. He initially asked for all members to submit their bios quite a while ago, but that may have been before you were around here. So, no - not everybody is in it.

13. musicusblau

Last Name:
    Pfaul
    First Name:
    Andreas
    Thanks for the links, Monica. BTW, "to paw with the hoofs" (german=mit den Hufen scharren) is what some animals do, if they are impatient and before they want to run.

Here is the third version with all your editing-wishes above worked in, including the tempo-changing from bar 33 on. I´m rerecording my wrong bar now. So, there will come another version a.s.a.p.

Tell me, Alfonso and MOnica, if I should work in some more suggestions!

14. juufa72

juufa72 New Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Grocholski
    First Name:
    Julius
    ...move over The Five Browns! :wink:

(Though I don't think highly of their "music")

15. musicusblau

Last Name:
    Pfaul
    First Name:
    Andreas
    Thanks, Julius, but who are the "Five Browns"?

16. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Yep - it's sounding better every time! Amazing how you increased the tempo on the second half. You can't even tell!

I still hear that hiss at 2:30. Do you hear it? I have sensitive hearing so maybe it's just me.

p.s. J - the Five Browns are in the same room. We three are little farther apart than that. :lol:

17. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    They are a group of brothers and sisters who all went to Juilliard School of Music and now they tour around the USA playing five pianos set up in circle. They play mostly popular classical piano pieces that are arranged for five pianos.

18. alf

Last Name:
    Bertazzi
    First Name:
    Alfonso
    The balance is considerably improved. Is it my ears or the sound quality is getting worse and worse after all that audio processing? I don't hear anymore Monica's crystal clear highs and your beautiful bass register got a bit muddy, Andreas. But I know that it's an unavoidable trade-off and we cannot have both quality and all that stuff corrected. So, that's okay for me. Just one more step and we are done.

19. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Alfonso - knowing what we know now, do you think we should re-record?

20. musicusblau

Last Name:
    Pfaul
    First Name:
    Andreas
    Phew, after hours and hours of editing (and rerecording of my wrong bar, I just cut in the last 6 eigth of bar 12) the fourth and - perhaps - final version is finished. Alfonso, you are right with the partly loss of sound-quality. So, I have taken the old unedited files again, which I had fortuneately saved on my extern hard-disc, and I have done the editing-process again, so that some double-editing-processes could be avoided. And I have tested a more professional equalizer. Wow, that´s a great thing: you have 10 buttons there to set the severals frequencies. It´s fantastic, what you all can do with it.
    I have changed again the tempo from bar 33 up to the end (I made it 4 beats faster than before). For me this final version is fine.
    But, please, be honest and tell me your opinion. I still could work in suggestions of you, if you like. I personal think, it is not necessary to rerecord. But you decide, of course.

(The stupid thing was, that I have had some computer-crashs while editing and always lost my whole work. That´s mainly why it took so much hours. :? But now I´m glad to have reached a quite nice result, I think. :D )