Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2017.

Is this possible?

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by pianolady, Feb 9, 2009.

1. alf

alf Active Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Bertazzi
    First Name:
    Alfonso
    Good morning folks!

Andreas, your mix-down is perfect (I too have some reservations about the volumes but I cannot go into details now). I'm a bit in a hurry because in a few hours I'm leaving with my Valentine for a short weekend break. If you manage to post the wav file soon I'll try to record my part, otherwise see you Sunday evening or Monday. Monica, I'd be sorry if we couldn't make it for today (but a menage a trois is not the most advisable kind of things to do at Valentine's Day either!). :lol:

2. musicusblau

musicusblau Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

High-school-teacher with subjects music and german
    Last Name:
    Pfaul
    First Name:
    Andreas
    I can put in all your wishes about dymanics (level-setting) at the end, when I do the end-effect-file. And I would like also to put my special reverb-parameters to the end-file, if you agree. You know their sound from my other recordings.
    I´m uploading the wav-file now as a Winrar-file, Alfonso, following your advice. Monica, the file is about 95 MB now, that´s the reason, while it takes so long. You wouldn´t be able to upload the file, because you don´t have it, isn´t it? :wink: But thanks for the nice offer. Zipped with Winrar it´s now 75 MB.

I wish you all a nice Valentine-weekend, friends.

3. musicusblau

Last Name:
    Pfaul
    First Name:
    Andreas
    Juufa72 wrote:
    :D Thanks for listening, Julius, and your appreciated feedback. It´s really good to know, how others think about the effect.

4. musicusblau

Last Name:
    Pfaul
    First Name:
    Andreas
    Phew, finally it´s finished. Here is the download-link of the wav-file. It´s a Winrar-file. Somehow I had problems with mediafire, it didn´t work, so I have decided to upload it to rapidshare:

http://rapidshare.com/files/197928672/R ... s.rar.html

You´ll have to wait a minute or so, before you can download it.

5. musicusblau

Last Name:
    Pfaul
    First Name:
    Andreas
    Alf wrote:
    Did you know that "Valentine" was a bishop of Terni in the 3rd century after Christ?! And there was also a bishop of Rome. There is the origin of our Valentine´s Day of today. So, it´s origin seems to be Italian respective Roman.
    If you like, see:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valentine%27s_Day

This is a real nice Valentines-card, isn´t it? (I found it on the link above.)
    Must be nice, to be such a plum. (Please, don´t say, I AM a "plum".) :lol: (It´s a wordplay. In German, someone is said to be a "plum", if he makes a joke.)

6. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    My turn: Good morning!

Andreas - wow that is a very large file!

Alfonso, it's ok - I don't really care when our 'menage a trois' goes down. Have fun with your Valentine. And you too, Andreas. Happy Valentines Day to you both! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Rachfan

Rachfan Active Member Piano Society Artist

Chief Operating Officer, retired
    Last Name:
    April
    First Name:
    David
    Hi,

I started to download this, but the WAV file is enormous. I'll wait till Alfonso adds his part, and the final edit is then converted to MP3. In the meantime I watched a video of this "Romance" on YouTube. Not having heard it before, I was amazed when it opened much like the second movement of the Piano Concerto No. 2! Didn't quite know what to expect next. But as the piece progressed, I found it to be quite beautiful. Now I'm looking forward to the PS Piano Ensemble performance!

David

8. musicusblau

Last Name:
    Pfaul
    First Name:
    Andreas
    Hi David,
    thank you for your interest, though you were a bit skeptic at the begining. I didn´t know, too, if this could work, but I thought: Let´s try, an attempt doesn´t cost anything. Now I´m very happy, that this amazing experiment is at least 2/3 a success and I believe, we will have a full success here.
    This is really a unique and splendid world-wide ensemble-work via internet! May be the first on the world in this manner? I would like to make music-history. :lol:

9. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Me too! :D

10. Rachfan

Last Name:
    April
    First Name:
    David
    When I was just a kid, we lived next door to a violinist and pedagogue. He also conducted the community orchestra for decades (and gave me my first lesson in conducting too). One day while I was visiting (he always asked me to play the piano when I was there), I noticed a very old framed photograph on the wall of an orchestra posed for a formal picture. He pointed himself out in the violin section and explained that it was the very first occasion when a symphony orchestra performance was transmitted over a telephone line. I wish I could recall the year of the event but I can't. But it seems to me it was in the late 1910's or early 1920s. So who knows? This long-distance Internet collaboration of the Rachmaninoff "Romance" might actually be a first too!

David

11. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    David, you just reminded me about something. I have had a long distance collaboration before - and it was with a celebrity. :wink: :lol:

When I was a girl, maybe 12 or 13 years old, I was into the music of John Denver. I loved his guitar playing. My dad used to record my piano and flute playing often on reel-to-reel tape machines, but then when I got my own Sony cassette recorder, I started making my own recordings. There were a couple John Denver pieces on an album I had that were only instrumentals. I would cue up those pieces on the turn table (stereo), hit the record button on my cassette recorder and then improvise on those pieces with my flute. Afterwards, I had a recording of me and John Denver playing together! :lol: Funny, I can still vividly remember doing that and how the pieces sounded.

12. Rachfan

Last Name:
    April
    First Name:
    David
    Hi Monica,

I got a chuckle out of your collaboration with John Denver. :lol: Looking back at those great years, it would be fun to go back... well, maybe for just a week or so. :)

13. musicusblau

Last Name:
    Pfaul
    First Name:
    Andreas
    Well, Monica, I have also still my experiences with musical collages. What we do actually, is a bit similar to this theme. When I made my second state-examination for becoming a music-highschool-teacher, I did some musical collages with my pupils. I gave them some inspirations by Bernd Alois Zimmermanns "Musique pour les soupers du Roi Ubu", oiriginated in the 1960th, which is a musical collage, and his philosophical ideas of the "sphericity of time" (="Kugelgestalt der Zeit", which is his original expression). Then we developed the idea of a musical collage of love-songs or love-arias. (Zimmermann has also classic- and jazz-style in his collage.) We developed certain rules for these collages a.s.o. (I don´t go into the detail here.) Then I dubbed all the excerpts of tapes and CD´s after their scores on my computer and made an audio-montage of these files. (Of course, it was all exactly planed after a score, the pupils had to compose before.) So I have got my first experiences with doing audio-montages on the computer. Then it was a very simple wave-program of windows 95 or so. There were not too much possibilities. Now with Wave Lab it´s a like a paradise of possibilities and functions.

14. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Andreas - even though the tools and technology were more simple than it is today, I bet you still enjoyed doing that.

I enjoyed what I was doing at the time, too, even though desk-top computers were not in every home in those days. Actually, I think some computers were the size of a refrigerator. My dad wouldn't buy me one of those! :lol:

I would have loved being able to fool around more with recording when I was young. As it was, the most fun and technological decision I had to play with was where I should place the recorder. One time - close to the stereo, the next time - closer to me, etc. And forget about adding reverb, unless I played in the bathroom, which I did often. :lol: (couldn't drag the console stereo in there, though)

15. alf

alf Active Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Bertazzi
    First Name:
    Alfonso
    Thanks Monica. I'll record my part this evening. See you later alligator.

16. musicusblau

Last Name:
    Pfaul
    First Name:
    Andreas
    Alf wrote:
    We are waiting and pawing with the hoofs. :lol:

I´m so happy, that finally someone teaches me, how this saying is correct. Until now I knew it only from listening and I have always understood: "See you later anygater" or something like such a balderdash. :lol:

17. musicusblau

Last Name:
    Pfaul
    First Name:
    Andreas
    Pianolady wrote:
    Yes, I like such creative experiments very much!

I hadn´t any reverb-function, too. I´m glad, that I couldn´t drag my console stereo in the bathroom, because I have heard, it wouldn´t be too healthy to have such an electric advice there, especially in the bath tube. That´s why my computer stays always in my study. :lol:

18. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    There is a little more to that saying. The first guy says, "See you later, alligator". Then the second guy says, "In a while, crocodile".

19. juufa72

juufa72 New Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Grocholski
    First Name:
    Julius
    or "after a while crocodile" :roll:

20. musicusblau

Last Name:
    Pfaul
    First Name:
    Andreas
    Pianolady wrote:
    Wow, my knowledge in English is growing. Thank you! :D And thanks also for the variant, Julius. Is it a big difference for an Englishman respective American to say "in a while" or "after a while"?