Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2017.

Is this possible?

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by pianolady, Feb 9, 2009.

1. alf

alf Active Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Bertazzi
    First Name:
    Alfonso
    I couldn't help preparing an MP3, quickly cueing and mixing down your tracks. It's pretty good and the casual, slight out-of-syncs are even beautiful, you two really seem to be playing in the same room! Very promising.

Monica, just 2 things. I didn't touch the volumes, the two tracks are already nicely balanced, but if I were in your place I'd strive for a fuller sound in this section. If we manage to keep the original volumes it's much better IMO. Secondly, take care of the triplet at bar 24 and the crotchets at bars 28-29-30, you tend to play some crotchets as quavers.

Now guys have your say!

2. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Oh, wow - that is so neat! I've got goosebumps already.

I know what you mean about my rhythm. I had a hard time getting into 3/2 last night. I'll try to get it better today. Just got one son off to school, but the other one is still sleeping - something he would like to do until noontime, but too bad - I'm going to start playing piano in two hours (9:00 AM my time), which will probably wake him up. I'll most likely have my completed version later today.

one question Alfonso - at measure 33: should I take the poco rit.? It sounds nice, but may be hard to do with you doing the same thing. Also, I thought I was playing a little loud, but I can go fuller if you think it best.

3. alf

Last Name:
    Bertazzi
    First Name:
    Alfonso
    I wish to read Andrea's opinion about that, but I believe we should do the poco ritenuto. If you listen a few times to it then it's quite easy to get in-sync.

4. musicusblau

musicusblau Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

High-school-teacher with subjects music and german
    Last Name:
    Pfaul
    First Name:
    Andreas
    Alf wrote:
    :D Phew, that were some hours work for me.

Alf wrote:
    Yes, may be it will become difficult, but we should try it with the poco rit., because first we should try to reach a musical and human result, if we can´t reach that, we can try to make a "metronomical" version, but in every case this would have a minor value.

I will listen later to your mp3, Alfonso.

Monica, please, tell me your opinion about my attempt of playing all the 3 tracks together. I just did it, to learn the editing-process in praxis.

5. musicusblau

Last Name:
    Pfaul
    First Name:
    Andreas
    Alf wrote:
    My braids become longer and longer, Alfonso! :lol: (I know, that in Italy Andrea is also a male prename, but in Germany it is only a female one. :wink: No need to excuse, no problem.)

I listened to your mp3, Alfonso and I´m impressed, sounds really promising and encouraging. I´m motivated and very curious on the rit.-parts, where we leave the metronomical beat a bit. :wink:

6. alf

Last Name:
    Bertazzi
    First Name:
    Alfonso
    :lol:

Sorry for that, just inverted 's' and possessive apostrophe. Speaking of braids, now I'm trying to imagine you as a rastafarian... :lol:

7. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    :lol: I can't! Unless Andreas has a wild side that we don't know about. :lol:

p.s. I'm almost done, guys. Am I supposed to give you two tracks - 1 with my part alone that I recorded while listening to Andreas, and then the 2nd one with just me and my metronome from bar 33 to the end?

8. musicusblau

Last Name:
    Pfaul
    First Name:
    Andreas
    Pianolady wrote:
    No, Monica, please, only put up the track with your part alone, that you recorded while listening to me. We can´t use a track with an audible metronome-beat, because I´m not able to delete it by editing. (Don´t know, if this is possible at all.) BTW, did you listen to my mp3 above???!!! (Sorry, but we Germans are so insistent, isn´t it? :lol: )

Pianolady wrote:
    What, do you really want to say that I´m not wild? :shock: :? :lol: And you didn´t know, that I thought about opening a site named "raggaesociety.com", with a title-picture of me with the hairstyle of Bob Marley? 8)

9. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    No, don't worry, there are no audible clicks. I had it on only blinking mode so I could see it but not hear it. So I have the two tracks but I will right now put them together and then put them into that mediafire thing, but seems like I can't get up the right link, so hopefully you or Alfonso again can do that for me. Give me about ten more minutes. (you know I'm still in my pj's and it's after 12:00 noon)

insistent Germans - I know all about that. If you remember, my mother is German. But Andreas, I can't think about anything else right now, but to get this done so I can't listen to your version again and comment on any details. I know that I listened to it last night and really liked it.

10. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Whoa - saw this just now....Please show me the picture!! :D

11. musicusblau

Last Name:
    Pfaul
    First Name:
    Andreas
    Pianolady wrote:
    Wait just a few seconds, until my hair has growed a little bit more! :lol:

12. musicusblau

Last Name:
    Pfaul
    First Name:
    Andreas
    Pianolady wrote:
    I was talking about the mp3, on which I play all three pianos myself, you know? If you mean that one, that´s enough for me. Somehow, I begin to dislike more and more comments on details. :lol:

13. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    :lol: :lol: to the hair thing!

Ok, I can't remember now if I listened to your version with all three pianos. Oh well...I will have more time tomorrow.

Here is my link to the complete piece: I hope you can get it.

http://www.mediafire.com/?kyznczmjzzc

There is a little time gap between my two tracks but I think that would make it easier to synchronize, don't you? Also, I wasn't sure about dynamics. I can re-record if you think I should do things a different way.

14. musicusblau

Last Name:
    Pfaul
    First Name:
    Andreas
    O.k., I download it know, but I can record only tomorrow in the evening. (It´s nine o´clock in the evening now and I have to get up tomorrow early in the morning.)

15. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Hey, you guys - I just realized that tomorrow is Valentine's Day and since this is a romance, well...you know...wouldn't it be nice to have this done by then? What? Did I just hear some cursing? :lol:
    Ok, no pressure...you probably don't even have Valentine's Day in your countries.

16. musicusblau

Last Name:
    Pfaul
    First Name:
    Andreas
    Hi my dears,
    the track of Monica and me from begining up to the end is finished. Now it´s you turn, Alfonso.
    If you`ll do it well, we wil have a full success, I think.
    I´ll upload the wav-file tomorrow, because this takes more than two hours and it´s late now.
    Provisional I upload the mp3-file here, so you can still listen to it and may be practise with it, Alfonso. The real recording you should make with the wav-file, I think, because you´ll hear more subtleties with it.
    Some remarks:
    I still edited the level of Monica and me in the three parts with the audiomontage-window of Wave Lab. From bar 1-32, where Monica leads with the melody I gave her a bit more level, me a bit less, froam bar 33 - 46, where I lead with the melody in the tenor I gave me a bit more loudness, from bar 47 to end the level for us both is equal.

Please, send me only your track, when it will be finished, Alfonso, (and after I will have uploaded the wav-file for you tomorrow). I´ll edit all the tracks in Wave Lab. It´s very comfortable and there are all functions we need (and much more). And I´m familiar with them now. :D Then I will mix the audiomontage to an end-effect-file.
    I forgot to put in the fade out-function for my track at the end of bar 32, so you hear a bit the cut. No problem, I still have changed this and the result will not have this cut-noise.

So, have much pleasure, Alfonso!

And, Monica, I have bought a rose for my wife today, exact one day before Valentines :lol: , because I don´t like these habits, which have become so commercial in our times. (And it´s an american habit, btw, in Germany it´s not so usual, though some people do it.)

17. juufa72

juufa72 New Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Grocholski
    First Name:
    Julius

18. musicusblau

Last Name:
    Pfaul
    First Name:
    Andreas
    Yeah, Julius, I second that. 8)

19. juufa72

juufa72 New Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Grocholski
    First Name:
    Julius
    andreas,

I cannot tell that there are two separate pianos when I listened to the merged recording. I hope that is a good indicator of a quality mixing-job. :!:

20. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Oh, Andreas – It is so beautiful already - brings tears to my eyes. Isn’t this a romantic piece?! I love it more every time I listen to it. Can’t wait to hear it with Alfonso!!!

Here are a couple things: It sounds well-balanced, but I wonder if it is possible for you to make your part even a bit louder on bars 34 – 46. The background hiss changes at 0:21 so I can tell that is where you did something with the volume, like brought my part up louder. If you can do the same thing with your part at the bars I indicated, then I think it would be nice. Actually, now that I listen again, I think my part should come down a bit instead of your part going up. Then I think the transition point at bar 33 would be better. (also, just so you know - I did not add any reverb). But the bars from 47 to the end are perfect, I think. And about you uploading the wav file. Would you like me to do it? It took my computer about 5 minutes to do my wav file last time. Maybe you’re talking about something different?

p.s. Nice that you bought your wife a rose. Although I don’t see what’s wrong with getting a 3 karat diamond ring :wink: , I am just as happy with flowers and nice dinner at a fancy restaurant. Then again, any restaurant - even the ones with peanut shells on the floor.